Fridge Not Cooling in warm weather - Seal around it? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

 11Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 29-06-2020, 20:02 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
My Motorhome: I drive...
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fridge Not Cooling in warm weather - Seal around it?

Hi.
Last year, our old Swift Royale ('96 Ducato based) gave us some real refrigeration issues whilst wild camping in the Pyrenees.

It was getting up to 24 degrees in the fridge (On gas - our only source of fuel)

I read somewhere, years ago, that one should "Seal" around the rear edge of the fridge (Between it's sides and the cupboards and between it's top and the sink), with upholstery foam. I'm sure I read that this would stop draughts in cold weather and would help the fridge keep cool in hot weather. I had very tightly packed foam jammed in, as close to the rear edge of the fridge as possible, whilst still sealing the gaps.

Is the latter true? Doesn't seem to work for me. I've had this fridge out half a dozen times, cleaned out burners and done everything I can think of but yet it still gave us as good as "Nothing cold" last year.

I'm just preparing for this year's trip and I've got the fridge down to 4 degrees on Electric Hook-Up (Inside the van was 18 degrees) and on Gas, it would only drop to 8 degrees.

I've seen various "Youtube" fixes, that include placing a USB powered fan inside the fridge, pointing at the fins. Also, fitting a fan behind the fridge, pointing at the fins at the top / back (To increase the air flow from the bottom vent and out of the top one) - I've not tried either fan-trick yet.

Can anyone please suggest where I might have problems or verify that they've done any of the above "Fixes" that worked or basically, set me of on the right track please?

Many thanks

1996 Swift Royale 590
(Fiat Ducato 14 Based - with 2.5L TD motor)
Frazweb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 29-06-2020, 21:10
Senior Member
 
Mrplodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Weymouth
My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Posts: 9,258
Thanks: 111
Thanked 520 Times in 442 Posts
I have fixed an extractor fan (12v computer cooling) to the top vent on every MH and caravan I have had. It certainly makes a difference when the outside temperature is high. Caravan fridges arecreally designed to keep food cool, not to cool it down.

Your fridge should be at about 5į (any lower and you run the risk of ice forming in/on your food)

It does seem a bit bizarre because most people find their fridge works best on gas rather than electric.

If itís getting down to temp on Ďleccy then the cooling circuit is clearly OK gas wise (thatís the coolant, not the LPG supply gas)

Could be time to get an expert in!

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, itís in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
Mrplodd is offline  
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 29-06-2020, 21:11
Senior Member
 
Drew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bridport, Dorset
Posts: 4,340
Thanks: 165
Thanked 212 Times in 199 Posts
https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/30...ghlight=Fridge

The above thread may answer your questions.

Loch Sloy
This I'll Defend


I would prefer to say that I am British rather than European.
Drew is offline  
 
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 30-06-2020, 11:42
Senior Member
 
Ozzyjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Shropshire
My Motorhome: Frankia Platin I8400QD
Posts: 1,307
Thanks: 72
Thanked 39 Times in 35 Posts
Iím sure you are not as daft as me, but Iíve made the mistake of leaving my winter vent covers on for too long in the past. That soon stops the fridge from doing itís job.

Regards,
John

If only I could think of an original, witty signature . . . this is where it would be . . .
Ozzyjohn is offline  
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 30-06-2020, 12:56
Senior Member
 
barryd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Posts: 28,798
Thanks: 323
Thanked 1,077 Times in 935 Posts
Personal Aire
I agree with Ploddy. I think our fridge always works better on gas than EHU so maybe there is still some kind of issue with the gas burner? Anything approaching 30c outside and it can struggle a bit and of course if possible you should always try and park the van with the fridge side out of the sun. Not always practical. Generally I find with ours after long term use in the same spot is stuff gets too cold and the freezer ices up.
raynipper likes this.


Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
barryd is offline  
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 30-06-2020, 16:48 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
My Motorhome: I drive...
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post
I have fixed an extractor fan (12v computer cooling) to the top vent on every MH and caravan I have had. It certainly makes a difference when the outside temperature is high. Caravan fridges arecreally designed to keep food cool, not to cool it down.

Your fridge should be at about 5į (any lower and you run the risk of ice forming in/on your food)

It does seem a bit bizarre because most people find their fridge works best on gas rather than electric.

If itís getting down to temp on Ďleccy then the cooling circuit is clearly OK gas wise (thatís the coolant, not the LPG supply gas)

Could be time to get an expert in!

Andy
Thanks for that tip . . . .

What did you wire it up to please?

I've tried, today, a fan inside the fridge but it's made zero difference (Youtube, you lied to me

I have a 120mm PC fan in the loft that I could fit to the upper vent but can't work out what to wire it in to.

Thanks again

1996 Swift Royale 590
(Fiat Ducato 14 Based - with 2.5L TD motor)
Frazweb is offline  
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 30-06-2020, 16:49 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
My Motorhome: I drive...
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzyjohn View Post
Iím sure you are not as daft as me, but Iíve made the mistake of leaving my winter vent covers on for too long in the past. That soon stops the fridge from doing itís job.

Regards,
John
No covers on my van

1996 Swift Royale 590
(Fiat Ducato 14 Based - with 2.5L TD motor)
Frazweb is offline  
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 30-06-2020, 16:51 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
My Motorhome: I drive...
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
I agree with Ploddy. I think our fridge always works better on gas than EHU so maybe there is still some kind of issue with the gas burner? Anything approaching 30c outside and it can struggle a bit and of course if possible you should always try and park the van with the fridge side out of the sun. Not always practical. Generally I find with ours after long term use in the same spot is stuff gets too cold and the freezer ices up.
I do always park with the fridge in the shade, it's an obsession and I've cleaned out the gas burner too.

I'm stumped
raynipper likes this.

1996 Swift Royale 590
(Fiat Ducato 14 Based - with 2.5L TD motor)
Frazweb is offline  
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 30-06-2020, 19:24
Senior Member
 
Mrplodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Weymouth
My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Posts: 9,258
Thanks: 111
Thanked 520 Times in 442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazweb View Post
Thanks for that tip . . . .

What did you wire it up to please?

I've tried, today, a fan inside the fridge but it's made zero difference (Youtube, you lied to me

I have a 120mm PC fan in the loft that I could fit to the upper vent but can't work out what to wire it in to.

Thanks again
I have always wired them into the lighting circuit, that way when I turn the master switch off thereís no danger of the fan draining the battery (even though itís wired through a very small illuminated switch inside) Getting the wiring between the fridge and the switch can prove interesting. A length of stiff wire fed through any gap is a good tip, just tape the cable to the wire and pull gently!
As an alternative there is always a 12v supply to the fridge you could tap into, but that remains live with the master switched off.

I now have a caravan not a MH and the fridge is on the same side as the awning, very useful when the suns out!
Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, itís in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
Mrplodd is offline  
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 30-06-2020, 21:18 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
My Motorhome: I drive...
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post
I have always wired them into the lighting circuit, that way when I turn the master switch off thereís no danger of the fan draining the battery (even though itís wired through a very small illuminated switch inside) Getting the wiring between the fridge and the switch can prove interesting. A length of stiff wire fed through any gap is a good tip, just tape the cable to the wire and pull gently!
As an alternative there is always a 12v supply to the fridge you could tap into, but that remains live with the master switched off.

I now have a caravan not a MH and the fridge is on the same side as the awning, very useful when the suns out!
Andy
So, if I understand you correctly, you run wires from the Leisure battery side of the master switch, to a little illuminated switch and then to the fan?

Thanks again

1996 Swift Royale 590
(Fiat Ducato 14 Based - with 2.5L TD motor)
Frazweb is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome