Is connection to EHU bad for batteries? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 19-05-2020, 12:36 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Is connection to EHU bad for batteries?

I read somewhere that keeping your MH permanently connected to EHU can damage your leisure batteries and they advised connecting once in a while.

Is this true?

Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 19-05-2020, 12:45

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Not if your batteries are regular lead acid Jean. Lead acid batteries last longer if kept fully charged.
But you don't want them to be on any old charger as some just keep charging and cooking and don't cut off when full. Most van chargers monitor the state of the battery and shut off when fully charged at about 14v. and cut back in again when the volts drop to about 12.6v.

Ray.
erneboy and Penquin like this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 19-05-2020, 15:40

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwawa View Post
I read somewhere that keeping your MH permanently connected to EHU can damage your leisure batteries and they advised connecting once in a while.

Is this true?
I do not know if it is ever true but there are thousands of uninterruptible power supplies [UPS] in industry, transport etc that are permanently connected to charging systems. The batteries are normally maintained with a 13.8v 'trickle charge'. The ones I used to work on were used in railway communication systems and battery life was in excess of 5 years.

My Pilote uses a Schaudt Electroblock unit and this has no separate charger ON switch. If it is on EHU then the charger is ON. I have not experienced any problems in the 3 years I have had it. I carry out load tests on the batteries regularly and they have always been ok. I guess it depends upon how smart the charger is. Left to an old fashioned single stage charger then I can see problems but not a modern multi stage one. It is only my experience and of course there will be some people with different ones, perhaps their batteries will have got hot, exploded etc.

Last edited by rayc; 19-05-2020 at 15:44.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 19-05-2020, 15:45

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,077 Times in 935 Posts
Personal Aire
Ive never understood the idea of constantly keeping your van hooked up and on charge. I just make sure mine are isolated (Cab and leisure) and leave them like that for months, often over winter. Never seems to do any harm and this is my second leisure battery in 12 years of ownership. Must be about due to croak as I think I got it in 2014 in France. They cost the same roughly as a full tank of diesel so if they last five or six years then I reckon like that you cant complain really.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 19-05-2020, 16:58 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Well, my van is 2017 so hopefully has sufficiently modern equipment to cope.

The reason I put it on EHU is that during the winter the solar wasn't sufficient to keep the charge up.

I wouldn't be happy to do the isolation of batteries Barry - as you know, electrics are not my forte!

I could just turn it off, in the house but if I don't need to that's great!
barryd and raynipper like this.

Jean
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 19-05-2020, 17:11

My Motorhome: Pilote Reference P716
Personal Aire
It has been very rare in the seven years we've had the Motorhome to put our Pilote on EHU at home or away.

An 80w Solar panel keeps both the Leisure batteries and Starter battery topped up throughout the year, with a CBE CSB2 trickle charger between the batteries, and I haven't had the hook up cable out at all this year despite not being able to take the Motorhome out for a run.

The Banner batteries lasted over five years, despite rarely using campsites when abroad, and the newer Yuasa batteries also seem to have no problems.

I have a couple of LED Mini Digital Voltmeter Volt Meter Gauge Voltage Panels (a few quid each) to show the resting voltage of the batteries and can see how the batteries are when stood on the drive for any length of time – ie, lockdown.

The only drain on the batteries while stood is the Alarm system and the Solar panel copes easily with that.

I know everyone's Motorhome is different but, like me, I try to keep things simple and the Motorhome just keeps 'ticking' along without much input from me and I like to keep it that way if possible.

patp and nicholsong like this.

For Videos of the Aires we've used, Eurotunnel journeys and many other more obscure Videos have a look at - www.youtube.com/user/KeithChesterfield

For Recommended Vets in Europe have a look at - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zTPBDq9Df4L4.kSm3eLuvVb2g
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-05-2020, 21:55

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
My understanding is that with an "intelligent" battery charger then you aren't doing any harm to the batteries by leaving it permanently connected. Conversely you can do harm if you repeatedly allow the batteries to discharge too far before recharging. Or looking at it another way, what about all those vans with solar panels that are permanently outside? Unless the panel has been isolated the batteries are being continually charged which is one of the great advantages of a solar panel.

My van used to live outside and the solar panel would keep the batteries fully charged all the time - the alarm and immobiliser being the main drains. It's now under cover so I have it permanently connected as it's easier than having to charge it every month or so..

Peter
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-05-2020, 22:09

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,077 Times in 935 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwawa View Post
Well, my van is 2017 so hopefully has sufficiently modern equipment to cope.

The reason I put it on EHU is that during the winter the solar wasn't sufficient to keep the charge up.

I wouldn't be happy to do the isolation of batteries Barry - as you know, electrics are not my forte!

I could just turn it off, in the house but if I don't need to that's great!

Ah well, the joys of owning an older motorhome you see. All I do on mine is whip off the negative battery lead under the bonnet and turn off the switch for the leisure battery and its isolated. Even a mechanically challenged numpty like me can manage that. Different story I guess on new vans with their fancy electronics and stuff.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-05-2020, 23:12

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
I have a 2003 MH with the original Schaudt EBL charger, so I do not know how 'smart' that is.

I have left it on permanent EHU or last few winters and do check the voltmeter regularly and it has never been overcharging.

I have had no problems and the batteries remain charged up.

Geoff
raynipper likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-05-2020, 07:54

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
My EHU is connected although I only switch the charger on when the solar can’t cope in winters dark days, luckily it’s at the side of the house therefore easy to monitor. If yours is in storage Jean, I suspect your modern vehicle has a charger that is ‘intelligent’ therefore as mentioned above OK to leave on charge. Check your manual or contact Donaghys for advice.

Terry

The people who passed off a pair of gloves as *two* items of PPE may not be entirely honest.

'Get Brexit Done' anagram - BEING EXTORTED

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page