I want my habitation lights to stay on when the engine starts!!! - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

4Likes
  • 2 Post By Penquin
  • 1 Post By rayc
  • 1 Post By eurajohn

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 14-02-2020, 15:27 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
I want my habitation lights to stay on when the engine starts!!!

Okay so I know the manufacturer did this to meet a UK legislation bla bla bla. But I would very much like to have my habitation lights and water pump etc to stay on when the engine is running. Please don't lecture me on reasons why not to, its my van and im entitled to modify it how I please.

So, does anyone know how to achieve this? Its a Bessacarr E560. When the engine starts you can hear a click of a relay behind the drivers seat in combined fuse panel. Im assuming this relay gets a 12v live ignition feed when the engine starts, so is it possible to snip this wire or put it on a switch so the habitation panel is fooled into thinking the engine is not running? Has anyone else tackled this issue before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 14-02-2020, 17:39

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
It can be done but the registration for a British MH denies that chance........

Buy German and that problem does not exist. Sorry, not what you wanted to hear....

As you are not a FULL member I cannot communicate via Private Message and there is no way that I would display such information as it could be used by someone unsafe to do so and then there could be a negative outcome involving legal proceedings...... Not good.
patp and raynipper like this.

Thinking of ALL the front line staff working to try to help others;Doctors, nurses, paramedics, cleaners, NA's, catering staff, support services and all others. Their work is appreciated more than you can ever realise-keep strong and safe.

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 15-02-2020, 08:51

My Motorhome: Frankia T640 FF2
Carry out some investigation in the van to find the relay in question.
Search the internet to find how a relay works and then identify the connection that energises it when engine starts, disconnect that connection and your power should remain on whether the engine is running or not.

Alternatively find an auto electrician and explain what you want done.

Obviously, as Dave has said above not really something you should do to a UK van.

On second thoughts that may not be such a good idea as without knowing the way the vehicle is wired there is a possibility that your fridge will not run on 12 volt and if you have a self retracting step that also may be affected.
So you will need to do some more in depth research before finalising any quick modifications.

John

Last edited by eurajohn; 15-02-2020 at 08:59.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 15-02-2020, 09:36

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Attached is a typical Sargent system. To keep habitation electrics On the EMC relay needs to be modified by removing the red/yellow wire. The step retract and fridge 12v will still work correctly. On later models the relay may be incorporated into the Sargent electrical panel.

The OP needs to find the Sargent schematic diagram for his model, possibly from here https://sargentltd.co.uk/tech-suppor...-Schematics/25
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EMC relay.jpg (209.7 KB, 15 views)
eurajohn likes this.

Last edited by rayc; 15-02-2020 at 09:42.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 20-02-2020, 13:36 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Thanks for all your help so far everyone. I do understand vehicle electrics, struggle a little with wiring diagrams though. I did try and look on that link for mine but the diagram style was completely different for my 2007 Bessacarr E560. I have however found a blue/white wire that became live when the engine started entering the combined fusebox/relay housing so I snipped it and sure enough the lights now stay on with the engine running. Only problem is the leisure battery no longer charges and the fridge no longer works on 12v so more digging is required!

The lack of battery charging is not such a big issue as I will be fitting a DC-DC charger very soon.

Thanks [email protected]

Last edited by judderi; 20-02-2020 at 13:42.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 20-02-2020, 13:50

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Judderi - you may want to remove your email from previous post if you don't want a whole lot of nutters getting in touch - not from here obviously!

Jean
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 20-02-2020, 19:18

My Motorhome: Frankia T640 FF2
Quote:
Originally Posted by judderi View Post
Thanks for all your help so far everyone. I do understand vehicle electrics, struggle a little with wiring diagrams though. I did try and look on that link for mine but the diagram style was completely different for my 2007 Bessacarr E560. I have however found a blue/white wire that became live when the engine started entering the combined fusebox/relay housing so I snipped it and sure enough the lights now stay on with the engine running. Only problem is the leisure battery no longer charges and the fridge no longer works on 12v so more digging is required!

The lack of battery charging is not such a big issue as I will be fitting a DC-DC charger very soon.

Thanks [email protected]
I did warn you of that likely scenario in post 3.
What you have done is to remove the d+ signal from the controller, whereas what you need to do is to remove the relay contact that isolates the habitation power.

Have you tried Ray's suggestion of contacting Sargent for a wiring diagram.?
Penquin likes this.

John
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 20-02-2020, 20:34

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by judderi View Post
Thanks for all your help so far everyone. I do understand vehicle electrics, struggle a little with wiring diagrams though.
I am sorry, but that is questionable since you have ended up with a result that could have been foreseen. There are reasons why the system is as it is and referring to Sargent may well have been able to prevent the issue you now have. For the time being at least, fit a switch where you have cut it so that you can reverse your u desirable cessation of the fridge etc.

You may well find that you have mucked up the charging of the leisure battery and there may well be other, as yet undiscovered, effects of that snipping.

"Measure three times, cut once" is a maxim I have lived by and sadly, it seems to me that you have looked at the problem in a superficial manner and acted in haste.

I am sorry if this seems negative and I found hope that you gave not caused damage to other components.

Thinking of ALL the front line staff working to try to help others;Doctors, nurses, paramedics, cleaners, NA's, catering staff, support services and all others. Their work is appreciated more than you can ever realise-keep strong and safe.

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page