Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Tech / Mech Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/49-tech-mech-chat/)
-   -   Lithium & Inverter, set-up. (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/49-tech-mech-chat/238157-lithium-inverter-set-up.html)

David Cowley 10-02-2020 14:15

Lithium & Inverter, set-up.
 
2 Attachment(s)
Hi Guy's & Gal's, I just thought you maybe interested in the set up I have for off grid with our Swift Bessacarr 599 Lounge.

2x12volt 100amp Relion Lithium batteries

12volt DC 230volt AC Pure sine wave 2,500W 5,000W

3X 230volt sockets

The two 12volt 100amp Lithium batteries are wired in parallel to give me 200amps

I just need to secure the batteries, that's the next job.

Here is a photo to show how I have connected the batteries and the Inverter.

I will show you where I have located the three sockets and why, in my next post.

Penquin 10-02-2020 16:41

Serious investment for that set up, we would not need such a system as 230v is not critical for our time off-grid, but each to their own of course and we will be interested to see how it all pans out. I found the best way to secure out batteries (not Lithium though) was to place them on a wooden tray with an edge and with a strap around the tray and the batteries to hold together. The tray is fastened to the base of the compartment by being bolted through - the floor of the compartment is black plastic.

raynipper 10-02-2020 17:21

1 Attachment(s)
Mine is now sold sadly.

Ray.

pete4x4 10-02-2020 17:25

Its how your going to charge them I'm more interested in

David Cowley 10-02-2020 20:25

In the UK in the winter months, it does not matter whether you have lead acid or Lithium leisure batteries, Solar panels will not fully charge the batteries, no matter how many solar panels you have. 200amps should last us 6 or 7 days off grid, then we would go on mains hook up for a couple of days, which would more than fully charge the batteries.

pete4x4 11-02-2020 15:26

I meant what charger are you using as there are very few chargers out there that will manage lithium batteries properly and your alternator wont do it without something else to manage the various stages of charge you need for a LiPo battery.


I want to fit two lithium batteries, I have a solar charger that fits the bill but have yet to sort out alternator and mains chargers.

David Cowley 11-02-2020 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete4x4 (Post 3074901)
I meant what charger are you using as there are very few chargers out there that will manage lithium batteries properly and your alternator wont do it without something else to manage the various stages of charge you need for a LiPo battery.


I want to fit two lithium batteries, I have a solar charger that fits the bill but have yet to sort out alternator and mains chargers.

As yet I have not had a issue, when I go on a club site, mains hook up, its showing a 10 amp charge to the batteries, when they are fully charged, it drops to about 1.5 amps automatically. On the display panel it shows approx. 13.9 to 14.1 volts when charging at 10amps, drops to 13.3 volts, when fully charged, they've held 13.3volts since our last trip 10 days ago. That's as much as I can tell you at the moment.

When I first purchased the batteries, I also bought a smart charger. a NOCO GENIUS Battery charger G26000 12V/24V 26amp.

747 12-02-2020 09:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Cowley (Post 3074909)
As yet I have not had a issue, when I go on a club site, mains hook up, its showing a 10 amp charge to the batteries, when they are fully charged, it drops to about 1.5 amps automatically. On the display panel it shows approx. 13.9 to 14.1 volts when charging at 10amps, drops to 13.3 volts, when fully charged, they've held 13.3volts since our last trip 10 days ago. That's as much as I can tell you at the moment.

When I first purchased the batteries, I also bought a smart charger. a NOCO GENIUS Battery charger G26000 12V/24V 26amp.

If I were you I would do some research into the effect of cold temperatures and charging Lithium batteries. They don't like getting cold and some users install some form of heating to take the edge off cold situations. This is not a problem if the batteries are under the seats but can be if they are in their own locker and away from a heat source.

ps, I don't have Lithium but have seen threads on other forums discussing this.

David Cowley 12-02-2020 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by 747 (Post 3074963)
If I were you I would do some research into the effect of cold temperatures and charging Lithium batteries. They don't like getting cold and some users install some form of heating to take the edge off cold situations. This is not a problem if the batteries are under the seats but can be if they are in their own locker and away from a heat source.

ps, I don't have Lithium but have seen threads on other forums discussing this.

I agree you should not

fast charge Lithium batteries when below freezing conditions. My Lithium batteries are inside the Motorhome.
The solar panel gives the van battery priority, over the leisure battery's, so the chances of any charge going to the Lithium batteries would be very small, if any at all.

eurajohn 12-02-2020 17:29

Very unusual for van battery to be wired to have priority over the habs.!

.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:00.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome