Side marker lights and MOT - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:03 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Side marker lights and MOT

Side marker lights are the orange lights positioned at intervals along the side of vehicles which are illuminated when the sidelights are switched on.

As far as I know they are not required by Construction and Use rules, as confirmed by looking at a large dealer's stock where only about 1/3 of MHs had them.

They were not part of the MOT until recently and my MH had passed previously with 2 of them not working.

I know the principle that if something is fitted it has to work, but it also has to be in the Test, otherwise the cab radio would have to be tested.

DVSA are responsible for issuing CoCs and obviously do issue them for vehicles without side marker lights.

DVSA are also responsible for deciding what items are in the Test.

It seems illogical that an item which does not have to be fitted has to be tested - see my analogy re the radio.

We found out that the bulb holders had corroded. Fortunately the first dealer/repairer we tried, Choose Leisure near Canterbury, stocked the identical lights, so replacement was simple. I can recommend Choose as I have had a supplementary lock fitted there and their team seem to be knowledgable and efficient, if not the cheapest, but monkeys/peanuts etc.

Geoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 13:01

Send a message via MSN to Pat-H
The MOT tester is required to test the operation of any side markers present:
The Tester will inspect:

Headlamps for aim and operation
Sidelights (known as position lamps) for location, operation and condition
Side marker lamps and end outline marker lamps (as appropriate) for presence, location, operation and condition.
Stop lamps for presence, operation and condition.
Daytime running lamps (for vehicles made after 1/3/1
Direction indicators and hazard warning lamps for presence, condition and operation and flashing frequency.
Front fog lamps (for vehicles made after 1/3/1 for presence, condition and operation.
Rear fog lamps
Reversing lamps (for vehicles made after 1/9/09)
Rear registration plate lamps
Rear reflectors

The cab radio isn't listed as an item to be tested so can be non functional. Any side markers that have been installed have to be operational.
Its as simple as that.

Pat

Europe. We're not out till we're out. Until then we're still in. Mind you out is looking a lot like in but with less benefits!!!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 13:38

My Motorhome: Elddis Accordo 125
Can't see side marker lights in the MoT manual https://www.mot-testing.service.gov....equipment.html. The reg. regarding lights being working and clean only applys to mandatory lights. Side marker lights are not mandatory for passenger vehicles and other vehicles under 6 metres. See section 23 and schedule 9 of the Road Vehicle Lighting regulations 1989 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1.../contents/made
Pudsey_Bear likes this.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 13:46

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Stick a bit of gaffer tape over them Geoff. Outa sight outa mind.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 14:10 Thread Starter

Cronkle at Patp seem to differ.

I have checked PatP's reference and it is for light vans updated June 2019.

Cronkle did not give a reference for his information.

I was not challenging whether they are in the Test now. I accepted the Tester's info that the Marker Lights had been intoduced into the test recently, although I now wonder if it is for Class 7 and not Class 4.

However, accepting that they are in the Test, it still seems illogical for DVSA to put them in a safety test but not in the requirements to have them fitted as a safety item in the first place. It is either safe to drive without them or not.

Ray

Had I known about the recent requirement I could have obscured them or removed them, but not for a re-test as the fail was already in the DVSA computer.

Geoff
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 14:20

My Motorhome: Elddis Accordo 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post

Geoff. Both links are to Govt websites.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 18:37

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
Is it akin to spare tyres? If you have one then it has to be legal - but if you haven't one then not a problem.
Pudsey_Bear likes this.

Peter
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 18:50

Send a message via MSN to Pat-H
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post

I have checked PatP's reference and it is for light vans updated June 2019.

I was not challenging whether they are in the Test now. I accepted the Tester's info that the Marker Lights had been intoduced into the test recently, although I now wonder if it is for Class 7 and not Class 4.

However, accepting that they are in the Test, it still seems illogical for DVSA to put them in a safety test but not in the requirements to have them fitted as a safety item in the first place. It is either safe to drive without them or not.

Ray

Had I known about the recent requirement I could have obscured them or removed them, but not for a re-test as the fail was already in the DVSA computer.

Geoff
Side markers being fitted or not are covered under the vehicle construction regulations.
So when the MH is made and registered having side markers are included if they are deemed needed due to other factors related to the vehicle.
So its possible the side markers have been added and are important (and therefore must work) or where added as a nice touch and unneeded but the tester can't access that.
If you took them off and replaced with amber reflectors I'm sure the tester wouldn't query it.
raynipper and nicholsong like this.

Pat

Europe. We're not out till we're out. Until then we're still in. Mind you out is looking a lot like in but with less benefits!!!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 21:19 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat-H View Post
Side markers being fitted or not are covered under the vehicle construction regulations.
So when the MH is made and registered having side markers are included if they are deemed needed due to other factors related to the vehicle.
So its possible the side markers have been added and are important (and therefore must work) or where added as a nice touch and unneeded but the tester can't access that.
If you took them off and replaced with amber reflectors I'm sure the tester wouldn't query it.

Pat

I think you are correct.

However that does not explain DVSA thinking about why they need to test something, if present, which they do not deem to be necessary to be present for safety purposes when they pass the vehicle for the road initially.

As I said earlier DVSA did not deem it necessary to test them before this year, as mine passed when not working.

Geoff
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 22:05

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peribro View Post
Is it akin to spare tyres? If you have one then it has to be legal - but if you haven't one then not a problem.
That is a total myth. A spare wheel does NOT have to be legal as it’s not ‘fitted” to the vehicle.

Pretty pointless having one that ISNT legal IF taken into use though!

Andy
Pudsey_Bear likes this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page