Suck or blow: Fridge fan. - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 12:55 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Suck or blow: Fridge fan.

Blowing air in from outside or sucking hot air from inside and blowing it out the vents? Also which will be more efficient to begin with and help it cool as quickly as it can, fridge vent on or off?

It's been hot here and the fridge is having trouble keeping the temperature anywhere near low enough. Mind you people opening it without first thinking what they want and where it is has resulted in the door being open for minutes at a time. That hasn't helped either.
raynipper likes this.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels

Last edited by erneboy; 03-07-2019 at 13:02.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 13:03

My Motorhome: AutoTrail V-Line 635 SE
Personal Aire
I'll be interested in this thread.

I recently saw an elegant solution where a pair of fans were mounted at the top vent drawing in air from the bottom vent and expelling at the top. But it was new and too soon for feedback from long term running.
erneboy likes this.

John

For lust of knowing what should not be known
We take the Golden Road to..........................
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 14:29

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 85 2007
Personal Aire
Iíve mounted a single 80mm fan in the top vent to expel the warm air that gathers there.
Hot air is already finding its way to the top vent so the fan is only adding to the convection effect already happening.
Installing the fan at the bottom means the fan is having to push against a resistance.
Perhaps.....maybe.....sort-of.....IMO
So far itís worked very well and got us through some very hot spells in southern Portugal.
erneboy likes this.

I'm not signing anything.

The two impulses in travel are to get away from home, and the other is to pursue something - a landscape, people, an exotic place. Certainly finding a place that you like or discovering something unusual is a very sustaining thing in travel.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 15:39

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
The normally accepted solution as being best is to have fans at top vents sucking air over the evaporator.

erneboy and HurricaneSmith like this.

John
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 16:09 Thread Starter

Thanks for that. Ours has only one vent at the bottom and a flue venting the top. It's an RV, perhaps that normal for RVs, can't say I've ever noticed. No points for me for observation then.

Anyway I can't mount it on the roof or in the flue so it has to be at the bottom. So I'm still wondering suck or blow and cover on or off. Thanks.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 16:27

My Motorhome: Rapido 7065FF
Removing the bottom grill will reduce the resistance to air flow and help the convection. At best the grill will have 50% open area so the resistance through that aperture will basically be halved with the grill removed. This will apply whether or not a fan is used.

If you do remove the grill make sure it is fully fixed in place again before you drive off or there is a chance of rain.

Just heard of someone on another forum who has been quoted Ä300 for a replacement grill after theirs fell off as they were driving after having it removed to help cooling.
trek likes this.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 16:34

My Motorhome: swift sundance 620fb
hi ernieboy

i think the rv type fridge can have a fan in the roof vent

i did look into that a while ago when i was playing with my american travel trailer but i decided it was not needed even in portugal

im sure i was it on youtube

on our motorhome i have put 2 fans in the top vent and connected it up to a thermostat so it switches on and of automatically

top is best as heat is supposed to rise and the fans would remove the hot air and any fumes if there were any

i made a few setups for friends a while ago and everyone said they made a difference in portugal especially if the space behind the fridge is tight

barry
erneboy likes this.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 16:40

My Motorhome: Rapido 7065FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
Thanks for that. Ours has only one vent at the bottom and a flue venting the top. It's an RV, perhaps that normal for RVs, can't say I've ever noticed. No points for me for observation then.

Anyway I can't mount it on the roof or in the flue so it has to be at the bottom. So I'm still wondering suck or blow and cover on or off. Thanks.
You probably can only access through the bottom vent so this will limit where you could fit a fan. In an ideal world you should mount the fan horizontally above the burner so that it is blowing air up the back of the fridge, however the clearance behind the fridge may restrict you to a very small diameter fan.

Your only practical option may be to fit three 100mm or more fans to the inside of your bottom grill. The fans should cover as much as possible of the face of the grill. In this case the fans will suck outside air through the grill and blow it around the base of the fridge which will pressurise the space and therefore force additional air upwards over the fridge cooling fins. Ensure that the fridge is properly sealed to the habitation area as putting the fans in this position has the potential to blow gas/CO into the habitation area.
erneboy likes this.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 16:41 Thread Starter

Thanks Barry. I'll investigate that idea.

Joseph Goebbels
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 16:42 Thread Starter

Thanks Kabundi, very informative. I'll do that because it's easiest.

Joseph Goebbels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page