Suck or blow: Fridge fan. - Page 4 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:09

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabundi View Post
You probably can only access through the bottom vent so this will limit where you could fit a fan. In an ideal world you should mount the fan horizontally above the burner so that it is blowing air up the back of the fridge, however the clearance behind the fridge may restrict you to a very small diameter fan.

Your only practical option may be to fit three 100mm or more fans to the inside of your bottom grill. The fans should cover as much as possible of the face of the grill. In this case the fans will suck outside air through the grill and blow it around the base of the fridge which will pressurise the space and therefore force additional air upwards over the fridge cooling fins. Ensure that the fridge is properly sealed to the habitation area as putting the fans in this position has the potential to blow gas/CO into the habitation area.

If you put so many fans in then the fridge may stop altogether, or maybe even overcool, it's a fine balance getting the airflow just right, one fan at the top is best and blowing out, covers all off to help natural air flow, to put fans at the bottom to pressurise the space may allow air to be blown into the hab area.

@alan, do you have a chimney in effect rather than a rectangular top vent in the side of the van? if so you should still be able to fit a fan horizontally if you can get good enough access, maybe by pulling the fridge out of it's housing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:34

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
If you fit a fan to the top vent (as I have done for many years/vehicles) then there is no chance of “over pressure”) forcing any fumes into the habitation area and will, as I pointed out earlier, draw out air that has already absorbed heat from the fridge cooling fins and pull in cooler air via the bottom.

This merely enhances the convection current that is already operating between the two vents without any of the problems of (possibly) pushing fumes into the habitation area.

I use a computer fan with its own heat probe/sensor. The hotter it gets in the fridge compartment the faster it spins so the more air it shifts !

In an ideal world I would probably fit one fan blowing onto the cooling fins (as per Dometic kits) and another on the top vent to suck the hotter air out. However my single fan cost me less than a tenner all in and the Dometic kit costs four to five times as much!

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:39 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
My fridge is back to working normally.

I fixed three of these fairly weak fans to the inside of the bottom vent: https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the advice. I'm happy with the above solution.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 18:54

I wouldnt blow in case it disturbs the flame on the burner
Penquin likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page