Suck or blow: Fridge fan. - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:48

Do you really think these fans make a difference. I have two mounted on the upper grill that blow out, I can feel the warm air going out, frankly I don't seeing making much difference. Maybe it is the type of frig. there aren't any exposed coils.

If you have questions about touring, living, driving, etc in Italy message me.
www.johnandluisa.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 12:16

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhelm View Post
Do you really think these fans make a difference. I have two mounted on the upper grill that blow out, I can feel the warm air going out, frankly I don't seeing making much difference. Maybe it is the type of frig. there aren't any exposed coils.
A lot depends on the ambient temperature. In hotter climes (25°+ during the day) my experience, over a good few years now, is that a fan makes a huge difference. The higher the ambient temperature the greater the effect a fan system has. In colder climes (normal U.K. temps) it’s nothing like as noticeable

All fridges, both domestic and leisure (absorption and compressor types) must have some system for radiating the heat into the atmosphere, without it they wouldn’t work! If you take the external vent covers off and look inside you will see them, they must be there otherwise what is heating the warm air you can feel ?

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 12:33

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhelm View Post
Not a case of THINKING but KNOWING from personal experience repeated frequently every summer.

Our day time temperatures are regularly in the mid to high 30's and without the fans on the fridge struggles to hold a reasonable temperature even if switched to maximum on the dial. With the fans on and running on gas of course, we can turn the dial down about 90 degrees and the fridge maintains a cold temperature.

So experience has shown that the fans really do make a massive difference.

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 13:04 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
I now have three 120m fans sucking air in at the bottom. They are mounted away from and a bit above the burner.

I'll report back when I see how they perform.
HurricaneSmith likes this.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 15:09
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
Hi Al,

There was a big thread on this last year...

The bottom line is that both Dometic and Thetford state that any fans should be placed in the bottom vent blowing air up through the cavity which then expels out of the top vent. That way cooler air is flowing over the fridge fins.

Given that they make most of the fridges we all use I would go with their advice over random internet folks who will swear blind that putting it at the top is the best way!

Graham
eurajohn and erneboy like this.

Which ever way you look at it, we are MUCH BETTER OFF in the EU than outside!

The Following User Says Thank You to GMJ For This Useful Post:
erneboy (06-07-2019)
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMJ View Post
Hi Al,

The bottom line is that both Dometic and Thetford state that any fans should be placed in the bottom vent blowing air up through the cavity which then expels out of the top vent. That way cooler air is flowing over the fridge fins.

Given that they make most of the fridges we all use I would go with their advice over random internet folks who will swear blind that putting it at the top is the best way!

Graham
Just saying that whatever goes out the top has to come in from the bottom. Though I suppose some comes in around the fans at the top.

If you have questions about touring, living, driving, etc in Italy message me.
www.johnandluisa.blogspot.com
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 16:25

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMJ View Post
Hi Al,

Graham
I am not doubting you in any way, can you pin a link to that thread and / or the definitive Thetford/Dometic advice please ?

I am currently unable to find either and it is always good to read such things, sadly, I followed the advice of the Dometic kit that I purchased from Loisir 47 and it specifically said to mount in the top if possible, which is what I did. The Dometic kit cost me 39€ and does work well but it would interest me if their kit says the contrary thing to their advice....

post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 17:03

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin View Post
I am not doubting you in any way, can you pin a link to that thread and / or the definitive Thetford/Dometic advice please ?

I am currently unable to find either and it is always good to read such things, sadly, I followed the advice of the Dometic kit that I purchased from Loisir 47 and it specifically said to mount in the top if possible, which is what I did. The Dometic kit cost me 39€ and does work well but it would interest me if their kit says the contrary thing to their advice....
Best I could find was this post on a rather long thread.

https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/30...ml#post2954442

Terry

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
The Following User Says Thank You to dghr272 For This Useful Post:
Penquin (07-07-2019)
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 20:54

Personal Aire
Thanks, so the instructions for the genuine Dometic part that I fitted may well be accurate FOR THAT PART AND THAT PART ONLY.

Moral; buy genuine parts, not EBay and follow the instructions carefully,mfailure to follow such instructions could have serious consequences if something goes wrong and your insurance company remain unconvinced by your "I followed what they told me on MHF, guv."

post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 21:10

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Well I bought a computer cooling fan off eBay for about a fiver, plus an illuminated switch. Those two combined with a bit of wire, a fuse, 4 zip ties and about an hour of my time does the job for me!

I am more than happy that I have done a decent job (at least four times now) for an awful lot less than Dometic wanted for a cooling kit. My system (fixed to the top vent) does exactly what I want it to do. It sucks hot air out of the fridge space, it is in a different location to that recommended by Dometic but, in hot weather, it makes my fridge a lot more efficient than it was without the fan.

I am certainly not worried about anything my insurance company MIGHT say. People fit electrical “extras” to their vehicles all the time!!

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page