Electrobloc EBL 200 and LT 500 control panel - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 16-06-2019, 15:47 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
Electrobloc EBL 200 and LT 500 control panel

We're due to leave for Norway next Monday and amongst the preparations on the van I fitted a new second battery to the one in place (which is only 3 weeks old). Both batteries are Yuasa 100ah.
I shut the system down as per the recommendations of Schaudt along with disconnecting the solar system, carried out fitting the second battery and then went to start the system back up and reconfigure the battery capacity in the control panel (LT 500).

System will not start up, on pressing the on switch for habitation electrics I only get 2 briefly flashing led's at the top of the display , then nothing.

Yes the batteries are both fully charged.
Yes they are connected correctly.

I have in desperation tried reverting to 1 battery, also disconnected everything, left for a while and reconnected but still only get the briefly flashing 2 led's.

Any one help please, slightly desperate now, if all else fails will ring Schaudt in morning.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 16-06-2019, 16:04

My Motorhome: Burstner Delphin Performance T821
Personal Aire
The main On/Off switch on the EBL is known to be suspect. I had similar on an EBL99 a few years ago. Try switching it on again (give it a few tries). I am not saying that it definitely the problem but there is a chance it is.

If it works, only ever turn it off in an emergency in future.

Nil Desperandum Illegitemide Carborundum
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 16-06-2019, 18:07 Thread Starter

Hi Jim, welcome back nice to hear from you again, sadly not the problem this unit doesn't have a switch it is totally controlled by the LT 500.

I do have a bit of an update though, in reading through the manual it advises in an emergency caused by a failure of the control panel, insert the fly lead in the EBL ports that are normally filled with the control panel connections, I've done that and everything with the exception of the pump runs in the van, so from that I'm guessing it is most likely the control panel at fault rather than the actual unit.

I've plugged in the EHU and the charger is charging all batteries, so if all else fails we can get away, as I'll simply rig up an external supply for the pump.

In the morning I'll contact Schaudt to see what they can offer.

Anyway many thanks for trying and good to see you are still around the community.

John

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 17-06-2019, 08:46 Thread Starter

Update and should have been EBL 220

Quick update spoken with Schaudt this morning and their answer is to send both unit and panel back to them for repair, not a lot of help to me with six days before our travel as we have ferries etc. booked.

Unless anyone has some ideas I'll have to jury rig the lot and hope it holds out.

John
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 18-06-2019, 20:50

My Motorhome: I drive... Hymer B550 Skyline
Bad news just before a long trip. Any chance of a detour on route to Schaudt ? We had to do that on the second day of owning our MH. Good service but dismantle and refit would be down to you.
Elf and Safety was quoted !
b
Bill
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-06-2019, 08:07 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc109 View Post
Bad news just before a long trip. Any chance of a detour on route to Schaudt ? We had to do that on the second day of owning our MH. Good service but dismantle and refit would be down to you.
Elf and Safety was quoted !
b
Bill
Did think of that Bill, sadly with them being down near the Swiss border, a bit too much of a detour, as we are going very North and have ferries booked to get from Germany to Denmark.
I did get a bit excited though when looking on Google maps to find where Schaudt were, the first place name I saw was Friedrichshafen which at first glance looks like a Scandinavian place name.

John
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-06-2019, 15:06

I don't understand your comment about disconnecting the second battery, does it work with only one battery connected?

A general question don't chargers generally stop charging or switch to trickle charge when the battery is at 12 volts or so. Then why does the capacity of the battery make any difference. Two batteries connected in parallel would feed each other, that is the weaker one would get charged by the stronger one. I wonder with a volt meter would the reading be the average of the two. Anyway I don't think a charger would care how many batteries are connected. So if it works on one battery, hook up the second and don't mention it to the control panel.

For some reason my old EBL stopped charging the engine battery, probably due to something I did so after a couple of years of getting a dead engine battery I hooked a wire directly from it to the other two house batteries with an on off switch and a fuse on each end. So they all get charged together from current or the solar panel. The idea being to turn off the switch before starting the engine for fear it would blow a fuse or something, then of course I forgot and nothing bad happened.

If you have questions about touring, living, driving, etc in Italy message me.
www.johnandluisa.blogspot.com
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-06-2019, 08:43 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhelm View Post
I don't understand your comment about disconnecting the second battery, does it work with only one battery connected?

A general question don't chargers generally stop charging or switch to trickle charge when the battery is at 12 volts or so. Then why does the capacity of the battery make any difference. Two batteries connected in parallel would feed each other, that is the weaker one would get charged by the stronger one. I wonder with a volt meter would the reading be the average of the two. Anyway I don't think a charger would care how many batteries are connected. So if it works on one battery, hook up the second and don't mention it to the control panel.

For some reason my old EBL stopped charging the engine battery, probably due to something I did so after a couple of years of getting a dead engine battery I hooked a wire directly from it to the other two house batteries with an on off switch and a fuse on each end. So they all get charged together from current or the solar panel. The idea being to turn off the switch before starting the engine for fear it would blow a fuse or something, then of course I forgot and nothing bad happened.

Hi, think you have misunderstood my original post, I shut the system down to fit a second battery, the comment I made later in the post" reverting to 1 battery" was simply an attempt to give full information of what had occurred to anyone with possible helpful advice.

I've not suggested that the charging system does not work indeed in my reply to 747 I stated that the charging was fully operational.

Having now had time to fully research the problem, it would appear 99% certain that it is the LT500 panel that is at fault.

In reply to your general question, a 12 volt battery requires somewhere in the region of up to 14.2 volts to charge, a fully charged good condition battery will be at 12.6 to 12.9 (or so) volts
A decent modern type of charger will put maximum charge into a battery until it is at around 75% charged if reading with a multimeter about 13.8 volts, then will progressively drop the rate until it reaches full charge but will continue to supply a charge to maintain a level of around 13.8 volts.

If you are reading only 12 volts on your multimeter then you're battery is only around 25% charged.

John
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-06-2019, 09:20

Thanks for the explanation. My question was when you just had one battery connected did the LT500 function properly, perhaps I was not clear. Then I thought that if it did you could just not change any settings when you connected the second battery as in general it should not matter how many batteries where connected.

If you have questions about touring, living, driving, etc in Italy message me.
www.johnandluisa.blogspot.com
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-06-2019, 13:28 Thread Starter

Normally two batteries are fitted and in use, I had replaced one of them a short while ago and initially was going to rely on just the one, however with our impending extended trip to Norway and having planned mostly off grid stopovers, thought I'd better buy another and fit two back as previously and yes the panel worked as it should before shutdown.

Whenever any battery maintenance or disconnection takes place, Schaudt recommend that you disconnect the system using a procedure explained in their instruction manual, which is something I've carried out many times in the past.

The reason you need to change settings is that for an accurate read out (by the panel info) of battery condition you have to tell the unit the amp hour of the battery or batteries fitted.

Having had time to do a bit of research and do some more work on my van, I've found the LT500 has a blown capacitor, which now confirms my thought that the panel was faulty.
No time now before we leave to source a replacement so will get away using the modifications I've made.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page