Tyres losing traction - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 16:43 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Tyres losing traction

On a couple of occasions I’ve had problems with the front tyres losing traction, both times going up fairly steep slopes.

The first time was on the hill going out of Coniston to the start of the Walna Scar road, and was down to the numptie coming down who drove past an obvious passing place, causing me to stop – he reversed back to the passing place, but I couldn’t get any traction and had to reverse about 50 metres to take a run at it.

The second time was the hill coming out of Elgol, and this time it was down to me – I took the hill too slowly in first when I should have had a good run at it. The torque in first gear broke the grip between the front wheels and the road, and again I had to reverse and get a good run at it. Had it been busy I could have had a problem.

I’ve got Michelin Agilis Camping tyres all round, with 60 psi at the front and 75 psi at the rear. The van is a Boxer Autocruise rated at 3.4 tonnes.

I don't think I'm overloaded, though I haven't weighed the van. Any thoughts/observations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 17:35

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Personally I feel virtually all modern FWD vans need winter tyres to cope with the lack of traction on gravel and wet grass.
Not saying they can perform miracles just that they will greatly improve the inherent difficulties. Also correct distribution of the payload will help.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 19:44

Rear wheel drive every time for me
raynipper likes this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 15:02
EJB

My Motorhome: Burstner Nexxo t620G
I have only once had a similar problem on a hairpin bend in Norway. Had to stop for a coach coming down and the inside of the bend was loose gravel.
The vehicles behind me had to close up so no option to reverse for a run at the bend.
Plenty of wheel spin and axle tramp that cost me a new halfshaft after the holiday....but brute force did get me moving OK.
Coincidently, similar MH specs and the same tyres, but at 50/60PSI.
Have travelled over very many mountain passes.

My thought......I think you are being a little too careful!

Ted.
I try and state simple facts in a nice way.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 15:05
EJB

My Motorhome: Burstner Nexxo t620G
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
Rear wheel drive every time for me
Good idea...I keep a spare rear wheel drive conversion in the van just in case I need it....but have never needed it yet!
Spacerunner likes this.

Ted.
I try and state simple facts in a nice way.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 16:44

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
I had similar problems exiting a Croatian campsite - hairpin bend on single track with a tree on the inside n a vertical drop on the outside.

But part of the problem was that I hadn't fully released the handbrake after my 1st attempt failed. The ping-pinging I put down to using the traction+ for the 1st time ever.

I did get there in the end but it made me want to avoid such campsites in the future.

Jean
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 21:41

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
A few thoughts. Check your axle weights to make sure you're not overloaded on the rear and then check whether your tyre pressures are right for the axle weights. There's lots of posts on this forum about tyre pressures and there are some charts as well. I suspect your pressures are slightly over at the front and possibly quite a lot at the back but you have to know the axle weights.

I sometimes get front wheel spin on inclines - usually because I've gone in too hard on the throttle. I don't like holding it on the clutch if I can avoid it and sometimes I'll chance a stall (manual box, 3.0 litre 5.2 tonnes) and I'm always surprised how the engine sees to pick it up without stalling - probably wouldn't work on steep hills. I've also sometimes used 2nd gear for pulling away on bad surfaces but not something to do on steep inclines.

Peter
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 21:57

My Motorhome: Swift KonTiki 669
Personal Aire
We've had the same, we live on a cul de sac at the top of a very steep hill . We take a good run at it an take a very tight sharp right but a couple of times there's either been a car driving towards us or a car parked awkwardly making the turn too tight, once stopped there's no way to get it going again probably mainly due to the turn still being on a steep slope and the near side wheel just not able to get a grip, we're forced to roll back down the hill and either have another go or take it to the other parking spot we are lucky to have at my Sister;s farm. Ours is a 3.0l Kontiki tag axle with almost new michelin agillis tyres

Before you criticise someone walk a mile in their shoes, that way you are a mile away and have their shoes too
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 14:33

Its always the near side wheel that spins , if only Ducatos were offered with diff locks
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 16:43

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
Its always the near side wheel that spins , if only Ducatos were offered with diff locks
I was going to say it was the opposite one for me but, with mine being LHD, it WAS the nearside wheel.

Does that button I was talking about earlier - does that give some kind of differential?

Jean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page