Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Tech / Mech Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/49-tech-mech-chat/)
-   -   Towing a Car (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/49-tech-mech-chat/236287-towing-car.html)

jhelm 22-05-2019 12:24

Towing a Car

What are the pros and cons of towing a car. Is it better to use an A frame or a trailer. We have a small car that uses LPG and would be great to have out touring. Park the camper on the outskirts of the city and have it to tour around. But I have never done it.

raynipper 22-05-2019 14:14

I have a spare Car-A-Tow 'A' frame sitting in my shed @ £100.

Ray.

erneboy 22-05-2019 14:52

I tow on a trailer, but A frame would be fine too. Once you've had the car with you you won't want to do without it.

martinbrown3922 26-06-2019 08:54

erneboy can you suggest me which trailer do you use ? and what size of trailer do you i also have to buy a trailer for Car towing services.

dghr272 26-06-2019 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhelm (Post 3033717)
What are the pros and cons of towing a car. Is it better to use an A frame or a trailer. We have a small car that uses LPG and would be great to have out touring. Park the camper on the outskirts of the city and have it to tour around. But I have never done it.

Not sure about Italy but there’s certainly reported legal issues re A Frames in Spain and some reporting of having to de-couple by the police. Also be aware there can be issues using automatic cars and A Frames.

Terry

erneboy 26-06-2019 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by martinbrown3922 (Post 3038927)
erneboy can you suggest me which trailer do you use ? and what size of trailer do you i also have to buy a trailer for Car towing services.

I bought my trailer in Murcia, Spain from a local manufacturer. It"s a small, light one as the car is only 550 kgs. It keeps the whole thing under 750.

I can check the make if you still want to know it.

jhelm 26-06-2019 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by erneboy (Post 3038949)
I bought my trailer in Murcia, Spain from a local manufacturer. It"s a small, light one as the car is only 550 kgs. It keeps the whole thing under 750.

I can check the make if you still want to know it.

That would be good to know thanks, Do you think it is better to use a trailer. Are there trailers that could also be used to haul other stuff when not using it for the car. Our car is small, Hyundai i10 the runs on LPG.

erneboy 26-06-2019 10:57

Made by these people: http://www.remolquesfeba.es/pageID_6071232.html

I bough it from an agent called Remolques Bastida but they aren't coming up on a web search now. I've had mine six or seven years now. The exchange rate was in my favour then of course.

Mine is a little like the first one on the page I linked to but the design has changed a bit.

raynipper 26-06-2019 12:09

Previously we always chose to tow a toad on an 'A' frame despite all the doom and gloom people saying it was illegal. We got stopped twice in France by plod who were only interested in it being braked.
Horses for courses of 'course' and mostly we had a 7.4L to 9L engine under the hood/bed. We found unhitching took seconds and no extra space needed on sites. But it wouldn't suite everyone and I accept that.

Ray.

barryd 26-06-2019 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhelm (Post 3038951)
That would be good to know thanks, Do you think it is better to use a trailer. Are there trailers that could also be used to haul other stuff when not using it for the car. Our car is small, Hyundai i10 the runs on LPG.

Ive got to ask. Why did you get an i10 converted to LPG? I have one, ridiculous thing it is.