Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Shower problem

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  fdhadi 
#1 ·
We have a problem with the shower in the 2004 Burstner A747 Motorhome.

It was fine when we last used it but now no water is flowing.
I have found an emergency way around this when needed.

If I turn the tap in the bathroom on ever so slightly so I can her the pump priming, this then allows the shower to flo freely.

Any ideas please for a fix?

#3 ·
Do they have a one-way valve to stop it draining back to the tank, does it start flowing if you leave it open? can you hear the pump running when just open the shower tap? I wonder if it's the switched type and the switch has stopped working.

Reactions: fdhadi
#4 ·
Crossed posts with Tuggs

#5 · (Edited)
Brilliant, thanks for the very swift replies

That’s what I was thinking about, the micro switch but couldn’t remember what it was called.

Would this be located behind the shower mixer tap and if so, how do I remove this? I don’t want to start disturbing any of the shower panels but needs must.

No, I cannot hear the pump priming when the shower tap is open.

#7 ·
We have a problem with the shower in the 2004 Burstner A747 Motorhome.

It was fine when we last used it but now no water is flowing.
I have found an emergency way around this when needed.

If I turn the tap in the bathroom on ever so slightly so I can her the pump priming, this then allows the shower to flo freely.

Any ideas please for a fix?
Have you a photo of the mixer?

#8 ·
The Motorhome is back in storage but I’ll go and bring it back this weekend.
I will then totally drain it and refill and bleed accordingly.

If that doesn’t work I will post a picture on here of the mixer.

Thank you for all the replies, it just shows what a brilliant site MHF Still Is 👍

#11 ·
If you have one of the Reich shower mixer tap, like I had you need to remove the red/blue inserts on top of the handle with some thing suitable.Underneath you will find a screw which secures the handle. Once the screw is of you can lift the handle off and underneath you will find the microswitch. The wire had broken on mine and I just soldered them together and finished with a shrink wrap over the top of the repair.

#12 ·
I had the same problem with the tap to the kitchen sink where one of the wires had broken. It was a difficult solder as the break was right where the wire went into the body of the microswitch. The repair last 6 or 9 months before it came apart so I decided to replace the microswitch with a new pre-wired one. I ran the wires back down through the tap and joined them up below the sink. Not sure though that access would necessarily be that easy in a shower.

#18 · (Edited)
Ok, here's the said shower control
Tried bleeding but still the same and all the other taps work fine.
If I open the bathroom sink tap slightly the shower works fine.
Is this any help as it shows that removing the red/blue insert in the mixer head could be the place to start. [It is for a Reich tap but the mixer is similar design https://www.practicalcaravan.com/advice/34154-how-to-replace-a-tap-micoswitch-in-your-caravan

If it is too difficult to access or remove then try to locate the wires going to it and install a separate switch that shorts the wires to operate it. You could of course do this anywhere such as connecting a parallel switch across the wires to the sink or indeed at the pump itself and locating it adjacent to the shower. [PS of course the switch is only in the positive wiring to the pump NOT across the positive and negative].

#14 ·
Yes, does sound like the micro switch is faulty in the shower control. I had same in the Hobby. Ended up taking the whole ceiling down to replace it.

Ray.

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
It has to be the switch. Think about it. Open the shower tap, nothing happens so the switch clearly isn’t telling the pump to pump.

Open the basin tap and it’s switch DOES work and “tells” the pump to pump.

The pump doesn’t know which switch is “telling” it to work, and it doesn’t care it just needs A switch to tell it. In this case the one on the basin is doing it.

It’s the shower mixer switch that duff (or the wiring to it)

Andy

Why do manufacturers fit such complex Systems that work off an electrical switch on each tap? A single pressure switch somewhere in the system is much simpler and has much less to go wrong.

#16 ·
Why do they complicate things when the Shurflo doesn't need to be switched, all it needs is a pressure drop.

#19 ·
I'd be inclined to change the pump to avoid problems with other taps in the future.

Reactions: Drew
#20 ·
Brilliant that Ray, thank you taking the time to find it 👍
Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated honesty 👌

Funny thing happened

I had the shower tap open, no water coming out. I had it open because it was at a better angle to see the red & blue grommet which I started to remove using a small blade. There must be a loose wire on the micro switch or something because all of a sudden I got

SOAKED 😂😂😂

Now I know you will all say that I should have turned the power off but I hoped I might disturb the wires and it could burst into action which is exactly what happened 😀😀😀

It’s working now so I will leave it alone for now but know it will need a proper fix. I don’t think it will take a big hammer fix 👊

I’ll keep you updated 😉

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.