Help - Indicator not working. - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 22:09 Thread Starter

Help - Indicator not working.

A lot of experienced people on here so I thought I would ask your opinion. The left hnd front indicator doesn't work but - all the others do ie rear and front side indicators, also the hazard switch operates all indicators except the left front one. All other headlights , brakelights etc working normally. So I am right in assuming then that the problem lies somewhere in the last bit of wiring to the left hnd bulb . ie nothing to do with the stalk, fuses . relays etc . I have checked the bulb in it's holder and about a foot of wiring to the first connector , on an off site battery and it's ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 22:31

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Connectivity issue somewhere, you said you have checked the bulb IN its holder as bad connections there are common. Have you tried with another bulb ?

From there, work up the line check the connection TO the holder and then follow the wire back if you can.

It MAY be a poor NEGATIVE connection (usually a black wire on most vehicles but some manufacturers eg Hymer are known to do their own thing as regards wire colours - check the handbook for clues...

That's a couple of ideas but following up the line should give you a clue once you have eliminated a possible negative fault.....

Good luck, do let us know what you find, but IMO start the whole thing with a new bulb rather than the old one....

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
The Following User Says Thank You to Penquin For This Useful Post:
Gretchibald (06-04-2019)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 23:05 Thread Starter

Had the bulb holder and it's wire tail in the garage and checked it working(with a new bulb). Reconnected, cleaned and 'wiggled' the obvious connectors with elec. maint. spray, left it a while but no joy . Guess I'll have to morph into a double jointed monkey and start trying to follow wires. Unfortunately from experience I know these 'small ' faults can turn out to be from anything/ anywhere Once when I had a problem with a brake light that kept blowing fuses it turned out to be a chaffed wire in below the brake pedal switch, luckily found before I started ripping wires from the brake lights and along the chassis towards the front looking for a short. Could be worse I suppose but MOT is soon.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 08:15

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
You say that you checked the bulb holder assembly in the workshop, so we can be sure that part is OK.
On the vehicle is the connection to the assembly via an OEM type socket and plug or separate connectors?
My guess would be a poor or no earth to the bulb holder when on the vehicle, try taking a lead from a known good earth to the side of the bulb holder.

Whilst I agree with Dave ref the confusing colours often used by conversion manufacturers in the living area, they will not change the convention on the base vehicle.

Pudsey_Bear and dghr272 like this.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to eurajohn For This Useful Post:
Gretchibald (07-04-2019)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 18:45 Thread Starter

Poked about for a couple of hours today with a tester but could not find the fault , Ascertained that the 'earth ' wire comes out of a common source for some other lights as well which are all working so guess I have a break in the live somewhere. I have a question- there is a little side indicator on the wheel arch , which is working, could I just take a live feed from that to the front indicator, wouldn't do any harm would it ? Would save an awful lot of bother.

Today wasn't a total waste though as while I was in there I fixed the bonnet release catch, the cable had seized up so cut a couple of feet off it (passed the 'bad' bit, and rerouted . It was far too long anyway , works a treat now.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 18:58

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
Can't see it causing an issue, worth a go and as you say save a lot of hassle, good luck.

Terry

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 20:31

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchibald View Post
Poked about for a couple of hours today with a tester but could not find the fault , Ascertained that the 'earth ' wire comes out of a common source for some other lights as well which are all working so guess I have a break in the live somewhere. I have a question- there is a little side indicator on the wheel arch , which is working, could I just take a live feed from that to the front indicator, wouldn't do any harm would it ? Would save an awful lot of bother.

Today wasn't a total waste though as while I was in there I fixed the bonnet release catch, the cable had seized up so cut a couple of feet off it (passed the 'bad' bit, and rerouted . It was far too long anyway , works a treat now.
I did the very same on an Arto for a friend here in Spain a few years back. Could not find the problem. Worked fine for her.

I was watching this to see if there'd be an answer. I was annoyed not to find the fault on her van. Spent a full day at it. Yet it must be simple.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels
The Following User Says Thank You to erneboy For This Useful Post:
Gretchibald (08-04-2019)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 20:31

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
What is the base vehicle? a Fiat X250 has separate feeds from the body computer for each front and rear indicator. There is also a separate feed for each wing mirror indicator which I believe is used for side indicator repeater lamps in A class configuration.
A wiring diagram attached just in case it is based on a Fiat X250
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Indicators and four way flashers.pdf (265.2 KB, 9 views)
Pudsey_Bear likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to rayc For This Useful Post:
Pudsey_Bear (09-04-2019)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 20:34

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
I did the very same on an Arto for a friend here in Spain a few years back. Could not find the problem. Worked fine for her.

I was watching this to see if there'd be an answer. I was annoyed not to find the fault on her van. Spent a full day at it. Yet it must be simple.
Hers may have been pre canbus though. I don't know. It was probably seven or eight years ago on a van that was a few years old.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 20:54

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
Hers may have been pre canbus though. I don't know. It was probably seven or eight years ago on a van that was a few years old.
The can bus only works on the control to the body computer circuits not on the outputs to the lamps. That is the stalk left and right and the emergency flasher drive. If the rear indicator is working then the can bus drive from the stalk to body computer is ok.
erneboy, Penquin and Pudsey_Bear like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page