Tyre sensors - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 18-03-2019, 12:12 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Chausson Sweet Maxi
Tyre sensors

Hi all, sorry if this topic has been replied somewhere already. I tried to search for it!!!!
Anyway may I ask how these tyre sensors work and is it quick and reasonably priced to get them fitted? I have read many MH owners here say they are good things to have. Is there a blue tooth chip fitted inside the tyres I wondered?
Better not go further as I expect some flak LOL It's a learning curve my friends.

Born to travel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 18-03-2019, 14:32

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Can't help specifically as my car came with them fitted. All I will say is they have given false warnings twice.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
The Following User Says Thank You to raynipper For This Useful Post:
terencepaul (18-03-2019)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 18-03-2019, 14:38

My Motorhome: Bessacarr E725
Look up Tyrepal. You fit the sensors yourself in place of the valve dust cap. They are locked in place with a grub screw.

You can fit one to the spare as well to save crawling under the van.

You'd be surprised how the pressures increase as the tyres warm up.

Excellent kit.

I'm daft and proud of it.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 18-03-2019, 15:00

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 85 2007
Personal Aire
I fitted a set of Tyrepals just before this current Eurotrip. They work well and give peace of mind especially on less than perfect roads when one’s imagination can get the better of one!
Had a couple of false alarms after some heavy duty driving in hot weather. Not a problem as you can read off the pressures of the other three tyres and check that they are similar readings.
The tyre sensors now come with a locking nut rather than a grub screw and are pre-set to match left, right, front and rear. Setting up is ridiculously easy.
Tyrepal suggests to set upper tyre pressures to 20% above normal. Tyre pressures do rise quite significantly during use hence my two false alarms occurring right on the alarm set pressure of 79 psi.
tugboat and terencepaul like this.

I'm not signing anything.

The two impulses in travel are to get away from home, and the other is to pursue something - a landscape, people, an exotic place. Certainly finding a place that you like or discovering something unusual is a very sustaining thing in travel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spacerunner For This Useful Post:
terencepaul (18-03-2019)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 19-03-2019, 10:50

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Agreed, they're great to have for peace of mind - saves you having to check the pressures.

Which is just as well cos it's a right pain to get at them to put in more air. I have to remove the hubcaps (which are held on with zip ties - not a problem to get off but a pain to get back on), fiddle with the dust protector, unscrew the locking nut with a pretty unhelpful little tool that keeps slipping off, and make sure it's far enough back to allow the tyre pump to screw on.... Then do it all in reverse. Took me ages.

But TBH, it's the 1st time in nearly a year that I've done it so can't complain really.

I wouldn't be without.
terencepaul likes this.

Jean
The Following User Says Thank You to jiwawa For This Useful Post:
terencepaul (19-03-2019)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 19-03-2019, 10:52

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Oh, and I fitted them myself but I didn't find it dead easy - that's because I wasn't reading far enough to see you'd to press something to save the settings - doh!!

Jean
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 19-03-2019, 12:18 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Chausson Sweet Maxi
Tyre Sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwawa View Post
Agreed, they're great to have for peace of mind - saves you having to check the pressures.

Which is just as well cos it's a right pain to get at them to put in more air. I have to remove the hubcaps (which are held on with zip ties - not a problem to get off but a pain to get back on), fiddle with the dust protector, unscrew the locking nut with a pretty unhelpful little tool that keeps slipping off, and make sure it's far enough back to allow the tyre pump to screw on.... Then do it all in reverse. Took me ages.

But TBH, it's the 1st time in nearly a year that I've done it so can't complain really.

I wouldn't be without.
I was wondering myself about putting air in LOL
Many thanks

Born to travel
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 19-03-2019, 18:51

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Another Tyrepal user but on a car and caravan.

Wouldn’t be without them, simply brilliant, you are constantly aware of each tyres pressure AND temperature (it’s amazing the temperature difference side to side if you drive some distance with the same side facing the sun!)

I have removed the locking grub screws on all of mine and, after about four year, none have fallen off and, more importantly, none have been nicked either. (they are fairly unobtrusive) so adding air is no different to removing “ordinary” dust caps.

One thing I HAVE learnt is to grease the threads a little because if the valves and sensors are different metals you can get galvanic corrosion between the two. I found that out the hard way and had to destroy one sensor (£33 worth!) in order to remove it.

My system alerted me to a puncture (in an almost new tyre) about a week after I fitted them. Being low profile it’s not easy to “feel” a puncture. The cost of the TPMS kit was only slightly more than the cost of one tyre, so it’s pretty much paid for itself. More importantly though is KNOWING what’s going on with your tyres.

The Tyrepal system will identify which tyre is going flat, I think the built in ones just tell you A tyre is flat not which particular one it is (bloody useless then)

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 19-03-2019, 20:08

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Touring the states with a six wheel RV and Toad, I used a temp gun every time we stopped to check if any tyre/wheel was running hot indicating a problem.
This was pre 'apps'.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-I...frcectupt=true

Ray.
chasper likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
The Following User Says Thank You to raynipper For This Useful Post:
chasper (19-03-2019)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 20-03-2019, 14:57

Another fan of Tyrepal, and they are on offer at the moment £80 a set for 4 wheels. Get the Solar option to save having to charge the dash unit.

Mine gave some very strange readings in hot weather, driving hard in the Pyrenees at altitude. It soon settled back to normal.

The system also gives tyre temperatures so you can watch both the pressures rising and the temperatures and be warned of a problem with an alarm. You must set the alarm value quite high so you don’t get false alerts by normal rises of pressure. The system is default set to an average car pressure so you will need to spend some time setting it to your chosen preasures.

MHO.

www.motorhomeowners.org

WWW . MOTORHOMEOWNERS .ORG

http://www.motorhomeowners.org/

Never yet met a Yank I couldn't take an immediate dislike to

Burstner Nexxo T660

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page