retrofit airrcon - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 18:04

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdTamar View Post
3kw? (did you mean at 220-240 volts?) No way. My house air con runs using about 600 watts (outputs 3-4kw). Ok, startup and initial cooling watts might be more than that, but not running once temp has stabilised.
Err how can you have 600 watt (0.6Kw) input and an output of 3000-4000 watts (3-4 KILO watts)

Have you discovered some way of defying the laws of physics?

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if itís in a caravan!) I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 20:49

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Going back to the original question retro fitting air Von is not easy

Get professional advice then if it all goes pear shaped 🍐 You have someone you can turn to, get them to have a look 👀 and then hopefully they can sort it out so that it works properly ❄️ so that you can relax and enjoy it. 🍷 (Red wine is served chilled here in July and August ).

Hope that helps B🔙🔜. ✔️

Thinking of; Mavis, Ray, Sandra and Albert at this time.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 23:02 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: swift sundance 620fb
hi penguin

i had it retrofitted in September by a company in London

they make up their own kit installation was very good

the only real difference is that the hoses are flexible rather than solid pipe as it would be to hard to get all the solid pipe around the back of the engine

on the way down to Portugal in September we had it running regularly and the wife was so pleased

barry
Penquin likes this.

post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 23:02

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Have you just discovered these funny emoticons Dave? Or is the wine being served, chilled or otherwise?!
Penquin likes this.

Jean
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 23:14

Personal Aire
On a tablet there are loads more....

🤢👽👁🐰🐷🐌🦂🐾🐿⚡️🌦⛷✈️

To mention just a few....

post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 23:16

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Now you're just showing off! On the phone I can't even manage a wink - here's proof 😉

Jean
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 23:17

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplus View Post
hi penguin

i had it retrofitted in September by a company in London

they make up their own kit installation was very good

the only real difference is that the hoses are flexible rather than solid pipe as it would be to hard to get all the solid pipe around the back of the engine

barry
Would be good to know who and how much it cost... sorry if I have missed those details earlier in the thread but repetition never hurts, neither does saying it again.....

post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 08:25 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: swift sundance 620fb
hi

the installation was carried out by alpinair in london at a cost of just under £2,000

they have to remove the complete dash to fit the conversion but it was installed very well and i was able to pop in a couple of times to see how it was going

worked well on the way down to portugal in september and the wife was so happy that it was nice and cool

http://www.alpinair.co.uk/

barry
raynipper and Pudsey_Bear like this.
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 23:40

My Motorhome: Not yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post
Err how can you have 600 watt (0.6Kw) input and an output of 3000-4000 watts (3-4 KILO watts)

Have you discovered some way of defying the laws of physics?

Andy
We're possibly having a miscommunication due to the way our respective countries state heater input and output?

Because I can't believe you don't know that the reason an air con is such an efficient device is that it doesn't create all the heat, or cold, from scratch. It extracts it from the outside air.

For those that don't know - in the case of heating - a conventional heater (say, a bar radiator) outputs 1000 watts for an input of 1000 watts (well, there maybe some loss as most devices aren't 100% efficient). Any heater that burns a fuel is even less efficient because (one reason) some goes up the flue (chimney). An open wood fire is terrible.

An air conditioner doesn't create the heat. It extracts it from the outside air. So (for example) when it's 10 degrees outside and I want 20 inside, the air con sucks loads of that 10 degree air through the outside unit (lots of a little bit of heat), squishes it all up to create a smaller amount of hotter air at the inside unit. So all the power does is compress, pump and two fans. This is much more efficient than creating the heat from scratch. Depending on the size of air con about 600% efficient. So for 600 watts input, I can get 3-4000 watts of heat.

Same kind of thing for cooling. The only thing more efficient than an air con is passive solar heating, or a breeze (for cooling).
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 13-01-2019, 09:56

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Power is power, 600Watts of power is 60ĒWatts of power wherever you are.

I accept that I may be a bit dense but I simply cannot see how you can have any machine thatís 600% efficient as you are suggesting. Itís simply not possible as there is no machine on the planet thatís 100% efficient, let alone 600% You cannot get more energy output than you input. Itís a basic law of physics.

If it was possible the entire planets energy needs would disappear. Country ďAĒ produces 1million kilo watts of power and exports it to Country ďBĒ who, using a 600% efficient machine convert that 1M to 6M. They then export it to country ďCĒ who do the same, so 6M becomes 36M, the next country do the same and you get 216M. Next country x6 gives you 1296 million Kw so after a few countries you have billions of Kw of energy available.

An air conditioner is basically a fridge it draws heat from the air inside the motorhome and TRANSFERS it to the outside air. Thatís why it has a fan and you can feel hot air being ejected by the fan and the fridge on your motor home needs a current of air across the back to remove that heat (a MH fridge doesnít have a compressor though, it relies on a convection current so is less efficient) The energy to do all of that has to come from somewhere and thatís the compressor thatís inside the air on unit. That compressor needs an energy source to operate, either electrically to turn a motor or mechanically from the vehicle engine.

To quote an old saying. ďYou get nowt for owtĒ

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if itís in a caravan!) I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page