Rapido CBE panel readings. - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Devonboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 30-07-2018, 20:08 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Rapido 9048DF
Rapido CBE panel readings.

Fitted new habitation batteries today. Connected the batteries in the recommended manner I.E. Negatives first followed by the Positives but was a little surprised to see some sparking on connection even though everything was turned off. Any thoughts?

Secondly with the new batteries fitted & reading 12.8v the CBE panel indicates a charge of +2.0A.

Reading through the CBE handbook under the battery charger CB 516 section there is no mention of the cab battery & the hab batteries being connected unless the engine is running. Is it therefore safe to assume that the panel needs adjustment to 0.0A? Any thoughts?

Dave.

Last edited by Devonboy; 30-07-2018 at 21:04.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 30-07-2018, 21:57

You will get sparks if there is a complete circuit for current to flow around

So even though you say everything was switched off there was something within that control panel that completed a circuit on the battery side perhaps the “off” was only the circuit on the output side of the control panel

Which would make sense (after all why would you normally want to disconnect the input side. You probably wouldn’t )

By the way i always connect batteries up using positve connections first then the negative connection
( if its a negative earthed installation / vehicle)

And disconnect the negative connections first if you want to remove a battery or just isolate it

My reason for doing it this way is its safer - imagine on a negative earthed vehicle you connect the positive first and accidentally touch another part of the vehicle with a metal spanner whilst doing up the connector there is no circuit through the battery as you haven’t connected the negative earth so no harm done

BUT had the negative been connected first you would have shorted out the battery and BANG !

Once positive done place covers over terminal to protect it from accidental contact , then you can connect up the negative

The +2.0 amp charge you mention - sounds as though it charging the battery

Do you have a solar panel on the roof ?
The Following User Says Thank You to trek For This Useful Post:
Devonboy (30-07-2018)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 30-07-2018, 23:00 Thread Starter

Many thanks trek forgot to mention the solar panel was covered over.

Dave.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 31-07-2018, 22:33

Did you sort out your query regarding charging current of 2amps

Whats the new battery voltage and current flow now after batteries have been connected for a while ?

Or Have you connected up to mains to test charging etc ?

If you have a decent multimeter say rated at 10amps you could use it to check the actual current flow to compare it with the 2.0amps on the display
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 23:58 Thread Starter

Batteries now fully charged & showing 12.95v using a meter & 13.2v on the panel. Looks like I need to adjust the panel voltage indicator. Amps still showing +1.5A charging when the solar panel is showing 0.00A charge. Before I adjust the panel amps indicator I need to disconnect the cab battery to make absolutely sure there is no connection.

Checked on mains hook-up all ok.

Checked with engine running all ok.

Had a senior moment when I reconnected the new batteries, somehow confused myself & mistakenly thought that the positive was the earth not the negative. You were absolutely correct in your connection methodology.

Many thanks.
trek likes this.

Dave.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 15-08-2018, 19:41 Thread Starter

Disconnected the vehicle battery this afternoon & covered the solar panel. Adjusted the panel to read 0.0A on the hab battery charging. Measured the voltage on the hab batteries & adjusted the panel to match. All now reading correct.

Dave.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 16-08-2018, 08:32

My Motorhome: 2002 Autocruise Wentworth
Personal Aire
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
By rights the solar should be disconnected, pulling the fuse is enough, then connect the batteries to the controller so it can read them, then reconnect the solar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page