Playing tablet through my Avtex - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 13-08-2017, 01:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by goho51 View Post
, think I am going to buy a second hand old style Avtex where the ports are all on the side....
Be careful there, since reading great reviews on these we have always wanted an Avtex and were delighted when our friends bought a new top of the range Avtex and gave us their older one. Found the sound and picture quality ok after a lot of tweaking but still not as good as the Panasonic it replaced. Worst was the white plastic surround on the screen which somehow distracted your eyes from watching the screen, solved by taping some black card over it. Main advantage is the USB input which allows us to carry a load of films etc on a little hard drive instead of a pile DVDs, HDMI and the card reader which allows us to insert straight from the camera ...and of course it's a bigger TV than our old one. Still might revert though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 13-08-2017, 11:52 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: IH TIO RL on a DUCATO MAXI 3.0L with Comfortmatic
There are no ports on the bottom of mine, it's the 16 inch one , my fault, I should have checked before buying it. Gretichbald, I hear what you are saying, this is my third Avtex, two bought new, next time I think I will try something else.

Don't be an idiot all your life, take the odd day off.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 13-08-2017, 12:17

My Motorhome: Hymer B584 4-tonne
Quote:
Originally Posted by goho51 View Post
There are no ports on the bottom of mine, it's the 16 inch one , my fault, I should have checked before buying it. Gretichbald, I hear what you are saying, this is my third Avtex, two bought new, next time I think I will try something else.
That is bad news.

If you're considering buying a new TV, have a look at Cello, highly regarded, much cheaper, and also 12volt. Sold by Amazon amongst others.

I certainly would, if I hadn't recently bought an Avtex.

http://celloelectronics.com/

. . . and, if you decide on a model, check the specs before buying:

http://celloelectronics.com/manualmodelfilter/cello/

Last edited by bazzy; 13-08-2017 at 12:25.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 13-08-2017, 13:11 Thread Starter

Thanks Bazzy, heard a lot of mixed reviews about Cello.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 13-08-2017, 23:29

HI

Have not been able to check our Avtex so cannot help at the moment re that.

However we have Samsung tablets and I thought I would try a few things. We can connect a Micro USB to Female USB2 cable. We can then put a Memory stick onto it and play films on the stick on the tablet. We can also transfer files from the tablets memory including additional storage onto the USB stick.

This means that you could with the same cabling and a usb stick copy stuff from the tablet and then play on the TV via the USB socket with the stick.

With a Micro usb to USB2 cable if we connect it to a windows 10 PC we can see on the PC the files on the Samsung and play any films etc including copy files across. I have not been able to get that to work on a Mac book air yet.

I will have a look at the TV when I can shortly.

Doug

Last edited by Dougaitken; 13-08-2017 at 23:32.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dougaitken For This Useful Post:
goho51 (13-08-2017)
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 14-08-2017, 10:20
wug

All the pics I've seen, as already has been said, have the HDMI cons in a recess at the bottom, just to the left of middle (from looking at the screen) which you should be able to reach. Try looking with a mirror and torch.

Last edited by wug; 14-08-2017 at 10:22.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 14-08-2017, 12:32
wug

Just a thought - some android devices can operate in "USB Storage" mode. When you connect to your TV it may show this option on the Samsung, or you may first have to go into the Source menu of the TV and select USB (which you'd have to do anyway to play from a usb drive) then see if there's a message on the Samsung. Most USB cables work both ways, like when you connect the tablet to a computer is should show up.

(just looked at manual for 168 and the connections are hidden on the back. If you can't take it off then USB is your only hope)

Last edited by wug; 14-08-2017 at 12:40.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 14-08-2017, 13:14

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,257 Times in 1,088 Posts
Personal Aire
For what my two peneth is worth (not a lot) unless you have one of those clever boxes mentioned above watching downloaded stuff on USB sticks or connected drives etc is a pia on 12v tvs. I can't speak for Avtex but our Akura which is a great low power TV has a USB port and it's quite fussy over what formats it takes. That box of tricks I guess solves that issue but I just cut out the middle man completely and just use my laptop (pretty much same screen size) where the files are anyway and a pair of half decent USB speakers. I use VLC player in windows which will play any format.

Works a treat. Even the so called smart tv at home is fussy what formats it plays and all my downloads come from a variety of sources in various formats. The laptop plays them all though and no need to wait ages transferring them either.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 14-08-2017, 13:44

My Motorhome: Hymer B584 4-tonne
No problem with file types with the set-up in picture.

Just plug into hdmi and 5-volt supply.

Select hdmi1 or hdmi2 as input on tv and all files in hard drive and shown on screen.

You need to be able to access your hdmi ports on tv though. Works perfectly on my Avtex.

Because the Cyclone box is also bluetooth, I can also listen through my wireless headphones with tv sound turned off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170812_195020.jpg (133.9 KB, 9 views)
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 14-08-2017, 18:08 Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the suggestions...just up in Edinburgh for the fringe for a few days so will have a look at the weekend. So far, however, all the HDMI ports are on the back, my fault, I should have checked. I will dismount the tv and add some spacers to allow the HDMI ports to be accessed....probably extend the cables and add an adaptor. On the positive side ( my glass is always half full��) the telly is working fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page