swap Gel batts to normal??? - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 23-01-2007, 15:20 Thread Starter

batts

Thanks for all the replies

I spoke to a couple of hobby dealers today,and they say with the model charger i have you cannot alter the the setting from gel to wet

So anybody know the best place to get a couple of gel batts????

Karl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 23-01-2007, 17:30

My Motorhome: Rapido 7066DF
Personal Aire
Hi Karl

Depends on how quick you need them.

If you can wait a few weeks you won't do better than to go to one of the M/H shows. There's a trader who attends most of the shows that sells very cheap batteries. We have bought wet and gel batteries from him in the past and been well satisfied. Don't know if he'll be at the Newark show but will almost certainly be at Peterborough.

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 23-01-2007, 19:22 Thread Starter

toptron

Hi

Well stone me,I managed to find an email address for the manfactuer of my charger.So thought i would send them an email to see if they could give me any info,thought long shot but you never know.

Well i had a reply as below

Dear Mr. Stock,

it is not necessary to change the charging characteristic to „wet batteries“. The charging characteristic is set to first constant I; then 6 h 14.2V and at the end 13.8 V. This can be used for wet and Gel batteries.

Best regards
Toptron GmbH
W. Cramer

I take to mean the 6hr means for 6 hours.?????

Karl

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 23-01-2007, 19:46

Hi karl sounds simular to mine, it charges at a high rate for a period of time then drops to a trickle charge. your charge amp's are voltage dependant, the higher the voltage the higher the charge amp's.

Olley
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 23-01-2007, 21:36

My Motorhome: Rapido 7066DF
Personal Aire
You're correct there olley, three stage charger. It seems that Hobby are probably just fitting more sophisticated chargers as time passes. The one on mine (late 2005 vintage) is a 4 stage charger with different voltage and time variables selectable for wet or gel batteries.

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 23-01-2007, 23:40

1. If its a wet battery it should be vented with either a small diameter pipe directly from the battery to the outside of the van or be in a separate battery compartment vented to the outside. Note that Hydrogen is light so low level vents are not appropriate and because the molecule is so small it will pass through many materials.

2 A period being charged at 14.2V is OK for a wet cell,its not the ideal 14.4, but without temperature compensation its close enough. A maximum 13.8V would result in a battery only 90% charged and would shorten its life.

3. Never mix gel with wet in a single system they will not charge or discharge at the same rates. Experience has shown that both batteries will suffer, and you will get nothing like the expected Amperehours - the same goes for mixing old and new of the same type, or different capacity batteries.

I know some of these points have already been made but thought I would confirm and summarise.

Regards Frank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page