Hank the Tank engine trouble - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old 25-02-2015, 12:25 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,015 Posts
Personal Aire
Hank the Tank engine trouble

Van was moved for the first time in 3 months the other day and did about 35 miles no problem.

Come to start it today and there is lots of blue smoke and it sounds like it's missing a bit. It's normally a bit lumpy and smokey at start up but usually clears.

I notice a small patch of oil with bits of water on it where it was stood but no obvious leaks.

I have had to go out until about 3pm so have just left it. It was running a while though and lots of blue smoke.

Phones the garage and they reckon either knackered injector, blown turbo or a piston problem. I'm wary to move it or even try it up the road and wondered if I should get safeguard to recover it to the garage which is 15 miles away.

There has been some debate for a while that the injectors might be iffy.

Any thoughts? It's all I need right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 25-02-2015, 13:03

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
All I can say is a brotherly

'Oh S H I T!. Oh S H I T! Oh S H I T!'

It is going to be difficult for anyone to give advice at a distance.

I have just one thought about the oil and water - are you sure the oil has just appeared or could it have been old? Is the oil still liquid or is it dried into the surface? If the oil and water had come out simultaneously I would have expected the oil to be on top, not the other way round.

Another thought is that the water is condensation from the engine which was shaken loose by vibration when you started Hank.

I have Safeguard Insurance and just checked the Recovery cover and it is only covered for home if you have the additional Home Start cover. If you do not have it, it may be cheaper for the garage to collect it if they can lift the size/weight - or get them to send a mechanic to advise if it is driveable.

To save you looking up Safeguard UK Breakdown No. it is

0800 269 325

Good luck, Barry. I hope it is not too expensive.

Geoff
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 25-02-2015, 13:08 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
Personal Aire
Thanks. Will check my cover when I get home. I suspect it's just standard.

post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 25-02-2015, 13:37

My Motorhome: Mercedes 614D
Personal Aire
post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 25-02-2015, 14:01

My Motorhome: Carthago
Agree with Peter most likely an injector.
As to the oil / water on floor, if there is a drop of oil on floor you'll often see droplets of water sitting on top.
Very unlikely to be piston or turbo I'd suggest.

John
post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 25-02-2015, 14:16

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Peter

I think you could be right, but in case it is something worse I would not like to recommend driving it.

Maybe one solution, since the MH is at home and he has not got a trip planned, is to take out the injectors and take them for service, re-fit, bleed the lines and try again. If Barry an do that, but I am sure there must be an agricultual travelling mechanic in his area who could drop in to do it - taking them out is only a 10 minute job.

I remember taking the injectors from my boat's 1978 Merc engine to Watsons in Wimbledon; as soon as I showed them to the boss and he said 'Oh that's an old Merc injector' I thought I am in the right 'shop here. But he had to phone me to get the pressure settings off my old engineer (ex-Merc) who udsed to service the engine - had them off the top of his head. Not many of those sorts of guys left these days.

Sorry, rambling. It's just that I appreciate that sort of expertise and want to encourage its continuation.

Geoff
post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 25-02-2015, 14:20

My Motorhome: Carthago
Geoff, getting the injectors out of the engine that Barry has is not a 10 minute job and will require a special socket to do so, also the servo makes getting one out very difficult, not a job for the faint hearted and I wouldn't suggest Barry attempted it.

John
post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 25-02-2015, 14:30

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
I wouldn't suggest that Barry attempt any mechanical work at all. He's lethal and probably only has a hammer and vice grips anyway. He keeps those for working on the brakes and steering.
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 25-02-2015, 15:41 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Thanks. Geoff, have you gone bananas? I can just about open the bonnet and sometime that doesnt always work!

Anyway, just got back home and did the following

Checked oil. A little low but its a while since its been serviced and it did get hammered over the Pyrenees all last summer. No oil on the road. Started up and I had to drive it 100 yards up the road (hill) and back to turn it round to get it back in the drive (moved it this morning for oil man to deliver oil). Still smoking but once it was driven a bit the smoke almost stopped. Left on tick over back outside the house and its still missing a little but but the turbo is definitely working. I also think its fuel or injector related but what do I know? There has been some debate about the injectors on this van causing problems for a while but I never got them looked at.

I have put it back on the drive for now until I decide what to do with it. It stinks though. Smells very fuely. Actually it smells like a helicopter. certainly a smokey diesel type whiff.

Performance was fine up the hill though and perfect the other day when I took it out but I did notice every now and then the other day on a longer run a bit of smoke when we were first setting off, changing gear etc.

There is a mechanic just around the corner but I would prefer my garage 15 miles away in Darlington to handle it. Having said that whoever does it will need to send the injector off so really I am just paying to have them taken off, repaired and stuck back on so I guess the local guy might be the best bet. Or I could get my Darlington garage to come out and take a look and whip them off here I suppose.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 25-02-2015, 16:05

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,026 Times in 965 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
My tuppence worth.

power going up hill sounds like turbo is OK,

no oil on floor means no holes or major leaks,

clouds of smoke when setting off isn't too big a worry, unless you sit revving the engine when stopped you will get a build up in the zorst, which get a kick up the harris when you set of so looks bad, older vans are worse for this.

You might get a puff changing gear, (that'll be tuggers) could be multiple causes from dodgy valves seals/stems to all kinds of tiny components getting warn, as the engine gets hotter some of them cease, but are back when cold again.

As you haven't mentioned any knocking I don't think it's terminal, Eurojohn is yer man though but difficult from a distance.

Hope it's something cheap to sort though, and if you know tho oil was low top it up, it's there for a reason
eurajohn and eurajohn like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page