ďThe Holidays are ComingĒ - Page 5 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

100Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-07-2021, 14:25

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
Better to worry about something you can change

Worrying that in some areas of the world people donít have clean water does nothing, a donation to water aid can make a difference

Worried about children starving, same applies

Itís not a lot but itís something that I can actually do

I a very aware thatNorthern Island is part of Britain but as you said yourself , the Irish are Irish when I described them as British

This is the problem you identify certain things as Irish but if anyone who is not Irish mentions Irish affairs then they are not recognising that the Irish are British

I imagine that you will tell me I know nothing about Irish affairs , if I say I know nothing of Irish affairs then you accuse me of not recognising that part of Ireland is British

By the middle ground I refer to those who are not extremists on either side in their beliefs or stance

So is that the case of those who build the towers , burn the flags ? because thatís all I asked about ,not which side is more bigoted , right in their beliefs or wrong in their beliefs

And knowing little about Irish politics other than assuming that Ireland like England ,Wales and Scotland does in fact have its own political stance I am in no position to pass judgement

Itís not a competition, as Iíve said Iím British, English, a northerner, of Scottish heritage

Thatís enough for me to be getting on with

Sandra
JanHank likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-07-2021, 14:58

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
There is a huge amount of ignorance when it comes to the conundrum that is the north of Ireland. I've seen English who stared at me open mouthed when I told them that the largest and most impressive catheral in Dublin is protestant and the ROI's most prestigious University (Trinty College that holds the book of Kells and was founded in the 16thC) didn't have a single Catholic student for most of the 19th and 20th centuries.

The Irish are usually as equally open mouthed when they hear that the Battle of the Boyne was actually little more than a skirmish by the standards of the time, that James effectively decided that discretion was the better part of valor and bottled it. Probably after seeing that our Dutch King Billy was actually flying the Pope's standard and his campaign had the Pop's full blessing.

I have always found the Irish and even the Scots Irish (the Usltermen) very pleasant and their shared country a bueatiful one, but you would expect that from a fellow Celt wouldn't you
erneboy likes this.

Last edited by Glandwr; 04-07-2021 at 15:16.
post #43 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-07-2021, 15:08

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
That is your first mention of middle ground. Previously you talked about sides.

I haven't said that one "side" is more bigoted than another. At the two extremes you couldn't fit a cigarette paper between them. Nor have I said who is right.

Ireland does have it's own politics, but we were not talking about Ireland or it's politics. This takes place within in the UK. None of the things under discussion happen in Ireland.
Webby1 likes this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.

post #44 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-07-2021, 18:20

My Motorhome: Adria Coral 690SP
It's interesting that those who have direct experience or knowledge of affairs in NI seem to be the most vocal in support of BLM. Perhaps they have seen bigotry in action and what happens when a dominant group desperately wants to hang on to their power base.

It's often without realising what they are doing..................we want to preserve our cultural traditions...................we don't want to be swamped by those Papist Paddies from Ireland. But given the recent changes in Ireland around abortion and same sex marriage, the hard line Protestants now have more in line with Rome than those they slated as backward Paddies in the past. The underlying attitude is shown that many now want to burn Polish flags as well.

In answer to the question................it is cleverly described as family friendly event to hide the underlying bigotry.I remember going to an Orange 12th festival as a kid in Liverpool and my Dad telling me......don't tell anyone what school you go to

It's like Farage wanting to be seen as the ordinary bloke in the pub and Boris as a bumbling buffoon just trying to do his best for us all in a difficult world.

Things will change, no doubt hastened by Brexit...........I think all "colonial plantations" have eventually had to give way.......................often because the supporting power has no more use for them.

Same with BLM................ "A change is gonna come"

Peter and Carmel

Spooky travelled with us for 5 years and over 20,000 miles.He died aged 11 and is buried in Delphi in Greece.
Now that's a great age and a great adventure for a rabbit and I think he deserves a mention.

The best things in Life...........................are not Things !!

Life is really, really great Ö...........sometimes it's a bit sh*t............and then you die !!
post #45 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-07-2021, 18:53

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Many of us saw it for what it was long ago and are sick of it. Unfortunately politicians lag well behind.

But in any case lots of people vote the extremes in for fear that if they don't the other lot might. Pundits say that is changing and the middle may vote for the centre party, Alliance

Let's hope so. It used to be a wasted vote. We will see.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.

Last edited by erneboy; 04-07-2021 at 19:07.
post #46 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-07-2021, 19:15

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
What are those towers built in England ?

Thatís what I asked about , Iíd never seen or heard of them until they were shown on this forum

I suggest you read Webbys reply to my question

So is the whole of Northern Ireland polarised , is there no middle ground of those who wish to draw the opposite sides together?

Iíll tell you what, Iím out I donít need to be castigated for trying to understand , nor do I need a whole in depth history lesson, you are better off fighting those who donít share your opinion as I guess the opposing factions in N Ireland are doing to each other

I really donít have an informed opinion on Irish politics, but you knew that so why exploit a weakness as you perceive it ,

I just am looking forward one day to visiting Ireland a beautiful country with beautiful people , if it turns out they hate the English well that will be reminiscent of Israel

However the Israelis didnít heap the whole of their angst onto me , it was a historical hatred not a personal one

Sandra
post #47 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-07-2021, 19:15 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
Many of us saw it for what it was long ago and are sick of it. Unfortunately politicians lag well behind.

But in any case lots of people vote the extremes in for fear that if they don't the other lot might. Pundits say thar is changing and the middle may vote for the centre party, Alliance

Let's hope so.
Make no mistake speaking out for the middle against the extremes in certain areas on both sides is fraught with danger, the extremes on both sides regularly exact their own form of justice.
Just an example from my own area in the link below. The frustration of many here is that the PSNI know who these thugs are, as do I as my kids who went to school with or know of them, but the PSNI seem to lack the resolve to see them brought to the courts.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern...d-57254605.amp

To help understanding, it’s the equivalent of a Mafia culture, sleeping with the fishes is a very real reality, therefore those that speak out are the real champions more power and votes to them I say.

Terry
erneboy and Webby1 like this.

BREXIT built on deceit delivered by liars

The people who passed off a pair of gloves as *two* items of PPE may not be entirely honest.

'Get Brexit Done' anagram - BEING EXTORTED

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
post #48 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-07-2021, 19:16

My Motorhome: Adria Coral 690SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post

But in any case lots of people vote the extremes in for fear that if they don't the other lot might. Pundits say that is changing and the middle may vote for the centre party, Alliance

Let's hope so. It used to be a wasted vote. We will see.
I never thought of it that way before...................it's a bit like the prisoners dilemma
If I go moderate how do I know my enemy will go moderate.......if he doesn't then he will have more power than me.Anyway they won't go moderate "I know what they are like.........they are all extremists"....and so it goes on.

It has worked when a more powerful force(USA) has come in to "kick ass".

You can bet we'll all love each other and fight together when the Martians invade.

Peter and Carmel

Spooky travelled with us for 5 years and over 20,000 miles.He died aged 11 and is buried in Delphi in Greece.
Now that's a great age and a great adventure for a rabbit and I think he deserves a mention.

The best things in Life...........................are not Things !!

Life is really, really great Ö...........sometimes it's a bit sh*t............and then you die !!
The Following User Says Thank You to Webby1 For This Useful Post:
aldra (05-07-2021)
post #49 of 113 (permalink) Old 05-07-2021, 10:23 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghr272 View Post
Iíll try and get you their phone number Ray.

https://twitter.com/u_didnt_saythat/...363721226?s=21

You might have to take a job lot though.

Terry
The finished article in Larne this year topped off with the colours of the ROI and with a flag of the modern Starry Plough......

They still donít get it, ďIn the workplace and life, you won't get on by falling out with people, even if you despise them... similarly, you won't win friends and influence anyone by burning their flags either...it's just basic common sense...Ē

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starry_Plough_(flag)

Terry
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A0946403-B77D-4F19-B80D-3F2E9EDA9184.jpeg (294.5 KB, 7 views)
erneboy, raynipper and aldra like this.

BREXIT built on deceit delivered by liars

The people who passed off a pair of gloves as *two* items of PPE may not be entirely honest.

'Get Brexit Done' anagram - BEING EXTORTED

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
post #50 of 113 (permalink) Old 05-07-2021, 11:27

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
WOW.!!!!!

Ray.

The FSA formerly SIB & PIA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. So they changed their name again to the FCA.
http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page