Boatmail - again - because it went seriosly 'off-topic' - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

8Likes
  • 2 Post By nicholsong
  • 4 Post By barryd
  • 2 Post By nicholsong
  • 6 Post By JacSprat
  • 2 Post By Debbie10

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-06-2015, 17:20 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Boatmail - again - because it went seriosly 'off-topic'

Poor Debbie - the OP on the original thread requesting feedback on the use of the Boatmail service.

I am re-posting this thread on her behalf, and I am also interested in peoples' experience of the service.

You 'off-topic 'trolls' have had your say, now leave us to a proper discussion - or else

Geoff
JanHank and JanHank like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-06-2015, 21:15

I agree, think it went a bit off topic,and no answer to OP's question.

Men have status.Boys are busy updating theirs.
Old 28-06-2015, 22:01

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,029 Times in 894 Posts
Personal Aire
http://www.boatmail.co.uk/

Presumably you then have to tell everyone your boatmail address so will stuff still come to your normal address.

Is it so important these days? Who sends letters anymore? All our bills etc all are done online, payments both in and out are online, insurance etc all done online and received online.

Our neighbour checks our mail when we are away but its just junk.
dghr272, dghr272, JanHank and 1 others like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

Old 28-06-2015, 22:13

My Motorhome: Murvi Morello
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post

Presumably you then have to tell everyone your boatmail address so will stuff still come to your normal address.

Is it so important these days? Who sends letters anymore? All our bills etc all are done online, payments both in and out are online, insurance etc all done online and received online.

The service is valuable to full-timers and those with itinerant jobs like the one I had crewing on yachts. It was originally set up for continuous canal cruisers. When I go off at the end of the year, I'll have no residential address, no family or friends I wish to hassle to send things like insurance documents, tax reminders, credit card renewals etc - Boatmail will serve as a UK postal address which will satisfy the DVLA and the full-timer's insurance people. I've heard about it over the years and it appears to be well-regarded. Still, as Geoff has mentioned, it would be great to hear from someone who has proper experience of it - perhaps they are the 'under the radar' types though.
I suspect if one trawls through canal boat forums, there will be plenty of info on them.

Jac

Patience is the companion of wisdom...
Old 28-06-2015, 22:24 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:

Barry

There are certain organisations which will only communicate with an UK address, which I understand Boatmail will provide - example is DVSA for V5C and Driving Licences.

Easy if you have a neighbour, or if you can re-direct to a friend but Royal Mail will only do that for 2 years - gave me a problam for 6 months.

Geoff
aldra and aldra like this.
Old 29-06-2015, 09:10

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
I think if it works it's a good idea, but won't DVLA et al think it a bit odd that so many vehicles etc are based at 33 The Maltings, Leighton Buzzard LU7 4BS?

Just askin, mon topic too boss.
Old 29-06-2015, 10:50

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,029 Times in 894 Posts
Personal Aire
Are you not entering dodgy territory though with insurance, DVLA, NHS etc by giving a false address where presumably you are pretending you live at? Do they also scan everything that comes in or are they selective? Do you still have to inform the post office of your change of address still as well and if so will you then just be getting boatmail to scan 90% junk?

Its a good idea but for me I think I would prefer it to be going to someones house (friend or relative) with instructions to just bin anything that doesnt look official. You could also use that persons address to state that you are living there.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
Old 29-06-2015, 20:58

My Motorhome: Murvi Morello
Quote:
Are you not entering dodgy territory though with insurance, DVLA, NHS etc by giving a false address where presumably you are pretending you live at? Do they also scan everything that comes in or are they selective? Do you still have to inform the post office of your change of address still as well and if so will you then just be getting boatmail to scan 90% junk?

Its a good idea but for me I think I would prefer it to be going to someones house (friend or relative) with instructions to just bin anything that doesnt look official. You could also use that persons address to state that you are living there.
DVLA only requires a postal address, AIB insurance (the only company willing to insure my Murvi PVC for fulltiming) is fully aware of the service and approves as they only need a UK contact address. Not sure about the NHS. Lots about this on the dedicated fulltimers website. Where a fulltimer would go wrong is to give a friends address and use a standard insurance policy. You have to meet residential criteria - ie, not be subletting your home to someone else, be there a certain amount of time in the year and be on the electoral role and paying council tax etc. If you are not, your insurance is likely to be invalidated if you are needing to claim. That's why proper full-timer's insurance is double (if not more) than that of a standard policy. A minefield.
Jac
barryd, barryd, nicholsong and 3 others like this.

Patience is the companion of wisdom...

Last edited by JacSprat; 29-06-2015 at 21:01.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:47

Thank you Nicholsong for starting the new thread, the other thread, although somewhat off track became quite amusing!

I agree with you all, that although in principle it sounds a good idea, when it comes down to it, still feels dodgy and that you will not be totally legit somewhere down the line.

I have read a lot of good reviews in other places. Maybe I like the I's dotted and T's crossed a little too much.

Debbie
nicholsong and nicholsong like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in