Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Motorhome Insurance (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/45-motorhome-insurance/)
-   -   Doosey of all motorhome insurance clauses (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/45-motorhome-insurance/238657-doosey-all-motorhome-insurance-clauses.html)

wfdTamar 29-04-2020 09:42

Doosey of all motorhome insurance clauses

Had the renewal of my insurance which was outrageously expensive anyway last year:
£1050 Premium
2002 Hymer covered for $15k
15000 miles (they wouldn't give me any less)
365 days EU cover (only wanted 90 days)
£250 Excess
Max £500 windscreen with £100 excess.

This year:
£1090
£350 (or even possibly £500) excess. The way they've worded the excess is really unclear (possibly an additional £150 because I don't have a UK licence):
£50 Accidental Damage Fire And Theft - Left Hand Drive
£350 Accidental Damage, Fire and Theft Excess - Compulsory Comprehensive

but to top it all - it has this clause:

'Not covered,
For any claim resulting from carrying, preparing, selling or supplying of any goods, food or drink from the insured vehicle.'

So it seems I can't carry or cook food in my motorhome!

JanHank 29-04-2020 10:11

I am sure that means your not insured to run an Imbiss or snack bar from the van.

wfdTamar 29-04-2020 10:36

That's what I thought, but it's not very clear. If that's what they mean they could have written it better than that, so I asked them:

'Re: the clause .... This is a motorhome so I will carry and cook food for myself. Does that mean a claim resulting from that activity is not covered, or does it only mean if doing so for commercial purposes (selling to other people)?

They answered:
'As per page 6 this is correct the insurers terms are as follows; they shall no be liable for any claim resulting from carrying, preparing, selling or supplying of any goods, food or drink from the insured vehicle. '

Me to them:
'That does not answer my question - Are they talking only about those practices for commercial sale, or also for my own use?'

Ozzyjohn 29-04-2020 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanHank (Post 3088991)
I am sure that means your not insured to run an Imbiss or snack bar from the van.

That’s a possible scenario, but it’s not what the quoted clause seems to actually say.

If the insurance underwriter is under the mistaken belief that the Moho is being used for some sort of trade purpose, they will have inflated the quote accordingly. Unless the O/P has already arranged cover elsewhere I would suggest seeking clarification from whoever provided the quote.

Over the years, I’ve had to have a number motor insurance quotes re-done because they have changed the basis of the quote as a result of their transcription errors.

Regards,
John

H1-GBV 29-04-2020 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by wfdTamar (Post 3088985)
Max £500 windscreen with £100 excess.

Unless there is ABSOLUTELY no alternative, I wouldn't touch this with a bargepole!

My 2002 Rapido Aclass, so presumably similar to yours, had the screen replaced approx 3y ago: £2997.
All I paid was the £75 excess: you would be looking at £2500!

It was the result of a stone being thrown up by a passing car in a 30mph zone; we were both travelling below the limit.

Gordon

wfdTamar 29-04-2020 12:10

Problem is I'm Australian (resident). My Hymer is in the UK and used there and in the EU. They have us foreigners over a barrel. Last year I only had two companies as options and the other was 50% more. This year I have found a much better option £775 (though a £350 excess) with no limit on windscreen cover (and a £75 excess on that) which is a relief for the reason you gave. Still irks as it'll most likely be in storage the whole year.

Mrplodd 29-04-2020 13:08

I suspect the (non) response was from someone who didn’t actually READ your question fully, or more likely couldn’t be arsed to raise the query with the actual underwriters, so just quoted what’s in the policy.

Do you have a relative/friend in the U.K. where you could be a “temporary resident”?

Being “resident” in the U.K. could save you a fair bit. Just a thought.

Andy

Ozzyjohn 29-04-2020 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrplodd (Post 3089031)
I suspect the (non) response was from someone who didn’t actually READ your question fully, or more likely couldn’t be arsed to raise the query with the actual underwriters, so just quoted what’s in the policy.

Do you have a relative/friend in the U.K. where you could be a “temporary resident”?

Being “resident” in the U.K. could save you a fair bit. Just a thought.

Andy

I agree with the first paragraph.

As for the rest - don’t do it. Otherwise you could find yourself with no cover at all in the event of a claim.

Regards,
John

wfdTamar 29-04-2020 13:19

Yes, they are they laziest bunch. I had someone hit me in May last year, accept liability, and they still haven't got the money from them! My repair quote was £5000, their assessor said £2100. My insurance told me they wouldn't budge so I should make a claim on my policy. I contacted the assessor and they caved immediately - £5000. I saved my insurance a claim and the work.

No, I don't know anyone there who would do that for me. I think it would require the MH to be owned by them as I couldn't just be 'resident'. Pity as I suspect insurance would be half the price of the £775 quote I had this year. (John beat me to it)

H1-GBV 29-04-2020 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by wfdTamar (Post 3089035)
No, I don't know anyone there who would do that for me. I think it would require the MH to be owned by them as I couldn't just be 'resident'. Pity as I suspect insurance would be half the price of the £775 quote I had this year. (John beat me to it)

My quote (as mentioned earlier, for probably a not-dissimilar MH) was £359 for 8000miles [quiet rural area, parked on drive, 10+years NCD, age = 70ish, + wife of almost same age].
Reducing it to 5000miles saved £30.

I don't know your circumstances, BUT perhaps your premium is not as bad as you think?

Gordon

Obviously that doesn't address your cooking/eating problem but it might make you a little happier.