Insurance while car is on a SORN? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mrplodd

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 14-12-2019, 06:50 Thread Starter

Insurance while car is on a SORN?

We will not be using our car while we are away for 3 months. I thought that I would SORN it and put it in the garage.

Coincidentally the insurance is up for renewal at the same time. I rang them (Saga) and asked if I could drop the fully comp and just have Fire and Theft or, if that is not an option, Third Party Fire and Theft. Their answer was "no". The agent seemed a bit surprised himself.

Would the home insurance cover it as contents of the garage I wonder?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 14-12-2019, 07:51

My Motorhome: swift sundance 620fb
hi

i think it may be that the insurance does not like it being left for so long unattended
did you mention that ?

nowadays third party fire and theft insurance is just about the same as fully comp and on renewal, i have had higher quotes

what you doing about your house insurance as most dont cover long periods of non-habitation

barry
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 14-12-2019, 10:31

I had the same answer from Safeguard, with whom I had been insured with for over twenty years. I told them that it was parked at the side of my home and well secured with a Tracker, wheel clamp, steering wheel and accelerator lock. There answer was still NO. Three other companies gave me the same answer, they do not insure SORN vehicles.

I ❤️ my MacBook Air

Last edited by Drew; 14-12-2019 at 10:33.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 14-12-2019, 10:40

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Our insurance co in France said it was law to still have minimum 3rd. party insurance while the camper was tucked up in our barn in case it was stolen and involved in an accident.
So I took the removable steering wheel into their office and explained that would be difficult but still had to have minimal cover.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 14-12-2019, 16:32 Thread Starter

Bu**er!

It is about time someone had a word with insurance companies and told them that we are the customer! What the hell is wrong with Third Party, Fire and Theft cover if that is what the customer wants?

My friend, who was in the game, tells me that they will not offer it now. She said if it is on a sorn that we could, legally, leave it in the garage and take the risk of fire. I asked if my house insurance would cover it for fire but she doubted it. I wonder what the risk of fire would be in the garage if we disconnected the battery and also switched off power to the garage to avoid an electrical fire?

House Insurance - Because Chris has some valuable tools and mowers etc I take out a good policy with M&S that offers unlimited cover for contents and that includes the garage and any other outbuildings. I phone them before we go away and ask for a 90 day period of cover. It worked last year.

For info NFU also offer good cover for garages and outbuildings. If you check your standard policy most give very little cover (around a couple of thousand from memory). NFU only work over the telephone and you need a comfy chair when you have your chat about your requirements
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 14-12-2019, 19:41

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
I think the problem here is that insurance companies now put in a clause to say that any vehicle they cover has to have valid and current VED (road tax) in place.

If it was me I think I would NOT Sorn it. The cost isnít that much and you could be sure that itís covered for ANY eventuality whilst you are away.

Andy
Drew likes this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, itís in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 14-12-2019, 19:44

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
Our insurance co in France said it was law to still have minimum 3rd. party insurance while the camper was tucked up in our barn in case it was stolen and involved in an accident.
So I took the removable steering wheel into their office and explained that would be difficult but still had to have minimal cover.

Ray.
In the U.K. insurance is ONLY LEGALLY required when a vehicle is on a road. In the scenario you have outlined any personally injury claim would be covered by the Motor Insurers Bureau in exactly the same was as it would pay out (injury only) if a driver is uninsured. France might have different rules, but I think it unlikely.

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, itís in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 15-12-2019, 08:05 Thread Starter

My brother was telling me that, in the States, they insure the car and not the driver. Not sure if that is a better way than our way or not?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 15-12-2019, 08:18

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
But insurance stateside is a total minefield.
You have to decide the financial level of insurance you want to pay for. Usually something like $500,000 / $300,000. This assumes you are not going to cause more than $500k of damage and more than $300k of your costs. The insurance companies liabilities are limited to these numbers and costs can spiral way over these numbers and you can still end up being liable for millions above these limits.
Many people have had to sell their homes to pay the medical bills of the injured. Yours or theirs.!

Yes Andy but if a vehicle has had insurance on it in France, the only way to stop paying for insurance is if the vehicle is sold, scrapped or exported and proof is required.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
The Following User Says Thank You to raynipper For This Useful Post:
Mrplodd (20-12-2019)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page