Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Insurance possibly being cancelled

3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Pudsey_Bear 
#1 ·
Hi.
Bought a motorhome on June 6th and promptly insured it before I collected it.
I was informed on the phone when setting up the insurance that within 28 days they required proof of mileage and copy of MOT certificate along with a copy of the new V5 showing my details.
Although I thought it strange,I proceeded with the set up.
I duly sent details of mileage and MOT copy along with a note explaining that I would send copy of V5 when it arrives.
I received a phone call today from insurers saying I had about 1 more week to supply V5 copy or they would cancel my motorhome insurance.
I immediately contacted the seller of the motorhome only to find out that he only sent it away to DVLA last Friday.(3 weeks since I bought it from him)
A few choice words were said and im now waiting patiently every day for the postman to arrive with good news.
Its possible im going to have to look for a different insurance company in about a weeks time.

#2 ·
I'm not sure if it was possible but I make copies of EVERYTHING before sending off. It would have been OK to ask for a copy of the V5 when you agreed to buy.

Ray.

#3 ·
It's not good to have insurance cancelled by the insurer. It may have a serious effect on future insurance proposals. You've probably noticed that they ask whether you've ever been declined or had insurance cancelled on proposal forms.

It's unfortunate that you are in the position you're in. In your place I'd be asking the company very nicely to consider giving you a little more time. They can cancel if you breach their conditions, who's fault it is that you breached unfortunately is not relevant. I'd ask very nicely for a bit longer while very politely explaining what went wrong. That'll be a lot easier than having to tell new companies why it was cancelled.

#4 ·
It might be worth ringing the DVLA, I've done it in the past when my Husband's licence hadn't been returned in time for our tip abroad and picking up a hire car, they tracked the licence down internally, pushed it through the system and I was able to go and collect it the same day (only 10 miles away for me). They get lots of stick but I've only ever found them helpful, I used to work there too so might be a bit biased ;-)

#5 ·
Thanks for replies.
I think if I had taken a copy of V5 when I purchased motorhome,it wouldnt have had my details on it which is what insurance company want.
Good idea about asking insurance company for more time.
Also to contact DVLA.At least they may be able to tell me if they have actually received the V5 from previous owner.
Thank you

#7 ·
Carl_n_Flo.
I really dont know.
I do remember agreeing with the gentleman to send relevant copies to them though.
I feel like im going to be punished through no fault of my own.
Also as posted here earlier.....probably affect me when I apply for other insurance like car...bike....home etc..

#9 ·
I do agree with you but after its come out of the workshop for a minor repair(should be a couple of days)im going to advertise it straight away and then cancel it once its gone.
Im not really sure what to do.
I think maybe my best bet is....in a few days time,plead with the insurers to maybe give me another week or so,(hoping by then I will have the V5 back).and once its gone....cancel

#10 ·
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the train of events here but you bought the motorhome on 6 June, it's now having some repairs done and then you are going to advertise it for sale?

I've never been asked for proof of ownership - maybe the insurers have wind of what you're doing? Maybe they think you are a dealer? Are you?

#11 ·
Hi pribro.
Ha ha...sorry but im not a dealer.
Just someone who didnt take enough time looking for a suitable motorhome for myself and my wife.
After a few short trips away in it....we realised that it was a little too small for us(especially if the 2 grandchildren came away with us).
Also while were away on one of the trips,I discovered some damp at the bottom of the entrance door.
I would not try to pass it on to anyone else(although the seller I bought it from did if he knew about it) so my local motorhome workshop gave me a very good estimate of the cost of repair along with a full damp test plus gas and electric test to give to the new owner.
Yes,im going to lose money on it but now have peace of mind selling it to someone else.
I know........my stupid fault in the first place for not giving it a thourough check but I think ive learned my lesson.
I did not or will not divulge any of this information to the insurance company.

#12 ·
After our 2nd outing we decided it was a little too small for us(especially after owning 3 fixed bed caravans in the past and also s static caravan for 3 years)
I did advertise it on a well known website and had a phone call from a someone on the second day.
The conversation went a little bit like this....
Can I come and see your motorhome please,I run a business where we buy motorhomes across the UK then ship them abroad.
Yes ok.
They turned up(will shorten this conversation)
Well....its a lovely motorhome but you have a damp problem across the rear....under the sink.....under offside front arch......bottom of door frame and ive worked out it will cost £8,400 to correct with a complete new floor and part of the wall......would you acept£*****.
I declined their offer and after they had gone,the only damp I could find wad at the base of the door.
I immediatly took it off website and the workshop I took it to went right through the motorhome looking for all of this so called damp.
All they could find was a 28% reading around the door frame.
They quoted me £650 to fully repair this and also do a full damp report with readings including the gas/ electric tests
ready for the new owners(and mine)peace of mind.
I just could not pass it on in its present condition to ,say a retired couple,on a limited budget and maybe investing their life savings in a motorhome.

#13 ·
I'm sorry to have doubted your true intentions! Also sorry that the van wasn't the one you wanted. I've heard it said that many people don't get the "right" van until their 3rd attempt! Good luck selling it and I admire your honesty in getting the damp sorted out. Maybe you simply cancel the existing insurance policy before they cancel you and you take out another one with another insurer?

#16 ·
Can you divulge who this insurance company is so we can all avoid them please.

#21 ·
I doubt the moderators will bother as we have none.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.