Insurance possibly being cancelled - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 25-06-2019, 18:42 Thread Starter

Insurance possibly being cancelled

Hi.
Bought a motorhome on June 6th and promptly insured it before I collected it.
I was informed on the phone when setting up the insurance that within 28 days they required proof of mileage and copy of MOT certificate along with a copy of the new V5 showing my details.
Although I thought it strange,I proceeded with the set up.
I duly sent details of mileage and MOT copy along with a note explaining that I would send copy of V5 when it arrives.
I received a phone call today from insurers saying I had about 1 more week to supply V5 copy or they would cancel my motorhome insurance.
I immediately contacted the seller of the motorhome only to find out that he only sent it away to DVLA last Friday.(3 weeks since I bought it from him)
A few choice words were said and im now waiting patiently every day for the postman to arrive with good news.
Its possible im going to have to look for a different insurance company in about a weeks time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 25-06-2019, 18:58

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
I'm not sure if it was possible but I make copies of EVERYTHING before sending off. It would have been OK to ask for a copy of the V5 when you agreed to buy.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 25-06-2019, 19:14

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolRoversfc View Post
Hi.
Bought a motorhome on June 6th and promptly insured it before I collected it.
I was informed on the phone when setting up the insurance that within 28 days they required proof of mileage and copy of MOT certificate along with a copy of the new V5 showing my details.
Although I thought it strange,I proceeded with the set up.
I duly sent details of mileage and MOT copy along with a note explaining that I would send copy of V5 when it arrives.
I received a phone call today from insurers saying I had about 1 more week to supply V5 copy or they would cancel my motorhome insurance.
I immediately contacted the seller of the motorhome only to find out that he only sent it away to DVLA last Friday.(3 weeks since I bought it from him)
A few choice words were said and im now waiting patiently every day for the postman to arrive with good news.
Its possible im going to have to look for a different insurance company in about a weeks time.
It's not good to have insurance cancelled by the insurer. It may have a serious effect on future insurance proposals. You've probably noticed that they ask whether you've ever been declined or had insurance cancelled on proposal forms.

It's unfortunate that you are in the position you're in. In your place I'd be asking the company very nicely to consider giving you a little more time. They can cancel if you breach their conditions, who's fault it is that you breached unfortunately is not relevant. I'd ask very nicely for a bit longer while very politely explaining what went wrong. That'll be a lot easier than having to tell new companies why it was cancelled.
HurricaneSmith and raynipper like this.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 25-06-2019, 20:33

My Motorhome: Swift KonTiki 669
Personal Aire
It might be worth ringing the DVLA, I've done it in the past when my Husband's licence hadn't been returned in time for our tip abroad and picking up a hire car, they tracked the licence down internally, pushed it through the system and I was able to go and collect it the same day (only 10 miles away for me). They get lots of stick but I've only ever found them helpful, I used to work there too so might be a bit biased

Before you criticise someone walk a mile in their shoes, that way you are a mile away and have their shoes too
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 25-06-2019, 20:52 Thread Starter

Thanks for replies.
I think if I had taken a copy of V5 when I purchased motorhome,it wouldnt have had my details on it which is what insurance company want.
Good idea about asking insurance company for more time.
Also to contact DVLA.At least they may be able to tell me if they have actually received the V5 from previous owner.
Thank you
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 25-06-2019, 21:10

My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne 696G
Personal Aire
In all the years I have had insurances for cars, motorbikes and motorhomes, not once have I ever been asked for a copy of the V5 or MOT for the insurance.

Mileage on limited policies - yes, but the other docs? No.

Why is your insurer asking you to produce these?
trek, erneboy, Pudsey_Bear and 1 others like this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 25-06-2019, 21:50 Thread Starter

Carl_n_Flo.
I really dont know.
I do remember agreeing with the gentleman to send relevant copies to them though.
I feel like im going to be punished through no fault of my own.
Also as posted here earlier.....probably affect me when I apply for other insurance like car...bike....home etc..
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 25-06-2019, 22:27

My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne 696G
Personal Aire
I think, in your shoes, I would cancel the insurance with your current provider before they cancel it for you, and look around for another.

If you cancel, then there is no comeback on you in the future.
raynipper likes this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 25-06-2019, 22:48 Thread Starter

I do agree with you but after its come out of the workshop for a minor repair(should be a couple of days)im going to advertise it straight away and then cancel it once its gone.
Im not really sure what to do.
I think maybe my best bet is....in a few days time,plead with the insurers to maybe give me another week or so,(hoping by then I will have the V5 back).and once its gone....cancel
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 25-06-2019, 22:57

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the train of events here but you bought the motorhome on 6 June, it's now having some repairs done and then you are going to advertise it for sale?

I've never been asked for proof of ownership - maybe the insurers have wind of what you're doing? Maybe they think you are a dealer? Are you?

Peter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page