Comfort Insurance - making a claim - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes
  • 1 Post By nicholsong
  • 1 Post By Mrplodd
  • 1 Post By nicholsong

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 25-04-2019, 19:26 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive Swift Escape
Comfort Insurance - making a claim

Hi, made my first newbie introduction about planning our holiday to Scotland. Then, hey ho, our motorhome was stolen! Luckily as we had a tracker, we were immediately able to retrieve it. Nothing stolen but of course, ignition and steering column damaged while trying to start it and wiring pulled out - possibly looking for a tracker. It was left only about a mile away.
Phoned Comfort (only insured with them since February) as the Safeguard renewal quote had gone up a fair bit (no claim with them).
Comfort tried to put us off claiming and said it would probably be cheaper to pay for the damage ourselves rather than lose 1 years no claim and face a big premium hike next year!!
However, as quote came in over £1500 we have made a claim.
How long do they usually take to deal with a claim? I have a sinking feeling we won't have it back before our trip to Scotland (in 2 weeks). Paid some of the campsite fees upfront and can't claim for those apparently.
What are other people's experiences of making a claim with them and the subsequent premium hike?

Last edited by mossy54; 25-04-2019 at 19:28. Reason: grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 25-04-2019, 22:12

My Motorhome: Adria Coral 690SP
Sorry for all the hassle you are having.
We have always been with Comfort as they have offered the best price including breakdown.
Never made a claim with them but always thought that, after the excess and premium hike, I would never claim for anything less than about £1000.
They have always been helpful so why not talk to them about your concerns.Mention you are on here and let us know how you get on.
A lot of us are with Comfort and they don't really want negative publicity.

Peter and Carmel

Spooky travelled with us for 5 years and over 20,000 miles.He died aged 11 and is buried in Delphi in Greece.
Now that's a great age and a great adventure for a rabbit and I think he deserves a mention.

The best things in Life...........................are not Things !!

Life is really, really great …...........sometimes it's a bit sh*t............and then you die !!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 26-04-2019, 09:23
EJB

My Motorhome: Burstner Nexxo t620G
How did they get in?
It's always useful to know as it may help others to upgrade their security.

PS. Presumably it's a FIAT base.

Ted.
I try and state simple facts in a nice way.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 26-04-2019, 19:44

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
That’s sad

We are with comfort

We’ve had one claim

Our bike rack scraped a car

But it caused us no problem

Actually I don’t have a no claims policy

Didn’t think they did them

Sandra
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 26-04-2019, 20:15

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Your insurance is with Aviva, Comfort are merely brokers.

Get a reference number from Aviva in respect of your claim. Then ring them ( not Comfort, that will just build in delay) EVERY SINGLE morning and, quoting your reference number, ask what is happening and what progress is in relation to your claim.

Your claim is one of many they are dealing with. By being a pain they will get things moving to stop you bothering them every day.

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 26-04-2019, 21:46

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post
Your insurance is with Aviva, Comfort are merely brokers.

Get a reference number from Aviva in respect of your claim. Then ring them ( not Comfort, that will just build in delay) EVERY SINGLE morning and, quoting your reference number, ask what is happening and what progress is in relation to your claim.

Your claim is one of many they are dealing with. By being a pain they will get things moving to stop you bothering them every day.

Andy

Andy

Does phoning the Police every morning quoting one's Crime Number for a £1,500 break-in work the same way?

Just asking.

Geoff
Sprinta likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 27-04-2019, 09:23

No of course not, totally different occurrences.

With an insurance claim there is no “offender” to be tracked down and prosecuted, it is a clear case of “Something untoward has happened and we are contractually required to put it right” So there is nothing to be done investigatively wise, this has happened, we have to put it right.

With a break in it is a little different. First off the offender has to be traced and to do that you do need some form of evidence. Everyone these days knows about fingerprints (so they wear gloves) CCTV (so they wear hoodies and or masks) and NOBODY ever see’s anything do they??

With break ins they are almost always random opportunist events, the householder has no idea who might be responsible (why would they?) yet many expect the police to instantly go “Ah! A break in, that must have been Burglar Bill who lives in the next street, I’ll go and arrest him and that will clear that crime up” Sadly real life is very different, the level of evidence required is very high indeed and if there is virtually nothing useful in regards to evidence at the scene just where can the police start their investigation? They need SOMETHING to give a clue as to where to start looking dont they? !Gone are the days when a detective could take out his magnifying glass, take two puffs on his pipe, and solve a murder!

I believe your question was asked somewhat “tongue in cheek” my reply is meant to hopefully try and explain that detecting break ins is very difficult to do.

Andy
Matchlock likes this.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 27-04-2019, 11:12 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive Swift Escape
They broke the small passenger side window. No idea how they managed to start it without keys but it looks like they used a knife and were able to drive it about a mile. I was surprised they broke a glass window as I've always been concerned that the plastic habitation windows were the weak spot! Yes it is a Fiat Ducato base.

The police response was pathetic. They could have got finger prints from any number of items in the van but said, "its too late now!" A feeble excuse about the whole night having passed. Do finger prints disappear after 8 hours? A truthful, we can't attend thefts because we don't have enough policemen would have been better received. Particularly cross as they admitted a gang had targeted our area as there were a spate of thefts over that week. You would think they would want to try to stop a professional gang. It was obviously not kids. (Sorry for the rant, but still fuming about that).

I have chased up the claim 3 times already - they say its marked urgent but so far it still hasn't been seen by the engineer! But I shall be on the phone again Monday morning in the slight hope we can get it back in time for our trip.

Then, we'll need to think about how to beef up the security. Our current stoplock and wheel clamp were obviously useless. We're now thinking about a Milenco steering wheel lock (does anyone know if the standard size fits a Swift motorhome, or do we need the longer commercial wheel lock?) More as a visual deterrent as the "Sold Gold" standard slows them for just 5 minutes! Whereas, a clutch clamp will slow them down for 30 minutes - which seems to be the way to go. Undecided about the usefulness or reliability of an alarm. Any thoughts?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 27-04-2019, 14:13

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Andy yes it was slightly tongue in cheek, but we do hear victims of crime complaining that they get little or no feedback, even when they enquire.

So a suggestion coming from an ex-Police Officer about daily enquiries did seem a touch ironic, so I thought some response was called for.

Geoff
Mrplodd likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 27-04-2019, 17:14

Mossy

It’s almost universal these days that EVERY villain uses gloves (or socks) so the chances of getting fingerprints is, to say the least, pretty remote, and the way the CPS are these days even if a villains prints ARE found inside your MH there is no proof that “they” actually drove it away/stole it. “I was with a mate, he said it was his MH, that’s why I was inside it” is all they would have to say and any chance of a conviction disappears over the horizon. Yes we ALL know it’s bold-ox BUT the CPS will never take on an iffy case in case they lose it. Ask ANY serving copper and they will confirm what I have said.

In regards to an alarm, I am not a huge fan of them. They DONT stop anyone stealing it (unlike a steering wheel or similar lock) It’s not at all uncommon when vehicles are stolen and an alarm is sounding, for an accomplice to stand by the vehicle continually pressing a (dud) key fob and shrugging his shoulders at anyone who looks their way. The trouble is alarms give far more false alarms than they do genuine ones, so everyone ignores them when they go off!!

A decent steering wheel lock and/or the “claws” that go under (or link) brake and clutch pedal offer a bit more of a challenge. If anyone REALLY wants to get your MH they will!

If parked up for a long time (in storage?) remove the gear lever!!

Andy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page