Letter from Comfort Insurance - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 20-11-2018, 18:41 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Adria Compact SLS
Letter from Comfort Insurance

Took this off another forum
Apparently you can now buy a key similar to the Ford Transit master key, but it will overcome Fiat Ducato's in the same way.

Dear Mr

Over the past 2 months we have seen an increase in thefts of Fiat Motorhomes due to technology available to purchase online, which overrides the manufacturer standard security.

Areas specifically targeted are along the A127 within the postal codes of:
∑ CM
∑ CO
∑ RM
∑ SS
If you own a Fiat Motorhome in these areas please be aware of the increased theft risk.
While Motorhome thefts are rare, our claims statistics have shown that Fiats are being targeted. We recommend investigating and installing deterrents and/or taking preventative measures to decrease the risk of theft. Steering wheel locks, wheel-clamps and door locks are some ideas for extra security.

We would also like to mention that Ford Motorhomes still have the highest theft rates in the
above areas particularly including:
∑ SO
∑ BH
If you are thinking of, or have already purchased a Ford Motorhome please be aware of this increased risk and fit preventatives to the vehicle.
As a result of the increased risk with Ford Motorhomes and Campervans we require certain types of security when you take out or renew an insurance policy with us.

The underwriters, Aviva require your Motorhome to be fitted with a Meta Trak VTS or Thatcham Approved Category 5 or 6 tracking device.

However, if you would prefer not to fit a tracking device please contact our office and speak to our team 0808 1688 150 or info@comfort-insurance.co.uk. We will be happy to look for alternative insurance providers for you, which may not have the same requirements and answer any questions you may have.

We hope you found this information helpful and keeps your Motorhome safe and sound.

Yours Sincerely
Ben Cue

Director Of Operations

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 21-11-2018, 11:45

My Motorhome: Autosleeper Nuevo
Personal Aire
Comfort have followed that up with another email. It states that the tracker is only required for the ford based motorhomes. All the remaining comment applied to the fiat based.

Terry

Teljoy
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 21-11-2018, 12:03

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
So the insurer (Aviva) are now requiring owners to fit additional security measures to their motorhomes, at their own expense, in order to maintain insurance cover?

I do hope that the insurance companies are also holding some pretty robust conversations with bade vehicle manufacturers in order to put some pressure on them to improve the security from new.

In the meantime, if I owned one of those MHís, I would certainly be looking at some form of highly visible deterrent. Having said that I have no idea what I would opt for as every one can be defeated, itís just a matter of how long each takes.

I think something external would be my choice. My thinking being that if itís an internal device it can be ďworked onĒ whilst not being particularly visible (especially if the internal blinds are closed) whereas if itís an external device the potential thieves would be more visible (if thereís anyone actually watching of course) I would probably opt for the strongest form of wheel clamp I could find because defeating it would be both time consuming and pretty noisy.

When it comes down to it if a thief really wants it heís going to get it. Just make yours a little more difficult than the next one!

Andy
chasper and HermanHymer like this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if itís in a caravan!) I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 21-11-2018, 13:02

My Motorhome: 2012 Bailey Approach 740
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by teljoy View Post
Comfort have followed that up with another email. It states that the tracker is only required for the ford based motorhomes. All the remaining comment applied to the fiat based.

Terry

Yes but its slightly inaccurate in that the Ford master key does not work on Fiats. The letter referred to other ways of getting into Fiats which rely on finding the wireless keycode.

This is me
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 21-11-2018, 16:02

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post

In the meantime, if I owned one of those MHís, I would certainly be looking at some form of highly visible deterrent. Having said that I have no idea what I would opt for as every one can be defeated, itís just a matter of how long each takes.

I think something external would be my choice. My thinking being that if itís an internal device it can be ďworked onĒ whilst not being particularly visible (especially if the internal blinds are closed) whereas if itís an external device the potential thieves would be more visible (if thereís anyone actually watching of course) I would probably opt for the strongest form of wheel clamp I could find because defeating it would be both time consuming and pretty noisy.

When it comes down to it if a thief really wants it heís going to get it. Just make yours a little more difficult than the next one!

Andy

Andy, others opinion on this idea.

Jack up onto axle stands, remove one or more wheels, heavy chain round axle stands to axle.

Of course they could bring jacks wheels and cutters, but it would be a hassle and a bit noisy.

At home in Poland I think our deterrents are that it is an 'A' Class(almost none here), RHD(probably only RHD MH in Poland), too high(3m) to go in a container, Fiat X244(2003) so maybe not much demand for parts, at least 150km to border. Plus Alsatian dog and two police living below.

Police view on likely target?

Geoff
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 21-11-2018, 16:24

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
..............., at least 150km to border. Plus Alsatian dog and two police living below.

Geoff
How did you manage to get two copers to live below your van Geoff?
HermanHymer likes this.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 21-11-2018, 18:06

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post

Stupid Boy!

Apartment below us.

One is Basia's son and the other his wife. One a firearms instructor and the other prepares prosecutions.

And it is not a 'van' - it does not look like a van, it does not taste like a van and it does not smell like a van, so it is NOT a van - ask your compatriot 'gretchibald' - when VS_Admin have sorted out his membership.

Now onwards and upwards.

Geoff
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 21-11-2018, 18:09

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if itís in a caravan!) I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 21-11-2018, 18:20

For a "service" industry the insurance companies leave a lot to be desired. We have to jump through hoops to get the product we require.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 21-11-2018, 18:22

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
One a firearms instructor and the other prepares prosecutions.

Geoff

Cor he must be a bad shot if he's got a prosecutor assigned to him.
chasper likes this.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page