Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (
-   Motorhome Insurance (
-   -   Insurance for a van in Spain. Help needed. (

MyGalSal 23-05-2018 09:23

Insurance for a van in Spain. Help needed.
Morning all

I am in the process of buying a wee PVC in Spain. I am looking for an insurance company, preferably (one can always live in hope) a company that will recognise my 9 years UK No Claim Discount. I have no idea where to begin. I know some members are familiar with insurance etc in Spain so any and all info would be appreciated.


erneboy 23-05-2018 10:26

Jean mentioned it to me Sal.

Can't help much except to give a lead on an English Insurance Agent here.

We have two Spanish registered cars insured here and we did get some NCB because we had previously been named drives on other Spanish policies. I didn't need to ask about transferring NCB from UK insurances so can't advise on that.

One thing I've noticed here is that almost all "brokers" are not really brokers at all. They tend to tied agents representing just one company and are thus not pricing the market for you, simply giving you a price for the single product they can provide.

Also fully comprehensive insurance seems to be unusual on vehicles more than a few years old. The categories we recognise as Comp and Third Party Fire and Theft are differently named and are not quite the same as they are in the UK. Also in Spain it's vehicles which are insured and not drivers so that in the absence of specific exclusions for young drivers or similar all policies are any driver.

There are plenty of English speaking online insurers in Spain and, even though my Spanish is adequate for most purposes, I find it best to try to do something as potentially complicated as car insurance in English just to be sure I avoid any slight misunderstandings.

For my car I've used Harriett Richardson for the last 7 or 8 years and found her competent. She's in Murcia province but that won't prevent her helping I think.

Liberty Seguros

Harriett Richardson

Centro Comercial Camposol A

Camposol Mazarron

Tel.669 046 167 / 868 199 121

[email protected]

Another one that comes up in every search:

Though both of the above are tied to Liberty Seguros I believe. So no point in contacting both.

There's an explanation of categories of insurance in Spain on this page:

There are online insurers advertising for Autocaravana Seguros but I've no idea whether many of them will speak English, which I'd prefer.

Good luck with the search.

MyGalSal 23-05-2018 10:50

Thanks Alan. Goodness that a welcome speedy response.

Mmm, yes, I thought there would be some significant differences. Whilst waiting for some first-hand knowledge I had begun trawling the web. First up was Liberty Seguros who, when I called them put me through to their ‘agent’ in my area, Barcelona. I talked to the agent, I checked their name and found they were Inov Expats insurance! Anyway they are sending a quote. Said they recognise UK NCD (but we will see what would be the difference in cost). I moved on to another in the list, said you could get a quote online so filled the form in got as far as cover and a wee message stated only third party available for motorhomes.Eh? Say what? So scrapped that. Found another, - sent off a request for a phone call back then noticed the name at the very bottom -Liberty Seguros! So I was beginning to wonder then read your post and began to understand.
Thanks for the info Alan I will contact the companies you named. I wonder why only third party after a few years. Maybe too many prang their own vehicles 😀
I have my NIE and will apply for residency in a little while (just want to check how that impacts on our UK property re tax etc) but as yet am still UK resident. Can I drive on my UK licence or do I have to convert to Spanish?
Thanks again.

bc109 23-05-2018 11:14

Allianz will do fully comp. on a motorhome. Comparitive cost ?
Don't know. It took a while to find any company doing fully comp in Spain.

erneboy 23-05-2018 11:19

I've kept my UK licence on the basis that I am not residing full time in either Spain or the UK. I did consider changing it for a Spanish one but decided not to for now at least. The insurers seem happy enough with the UK one and haven't queried the length of our stays in Spain.

The third party thing is a right nuisance, though years ago it was much the same in the UK I seem to remember.

My car is 47 years old and is a valuable classic. Several insurers here were prepared to offer only third party, not even fire and theft. I couldn't be doing with that at all. Like your van too big a loss to contemplate not having it insured. Liberty Seguros did a bit better with what, as far as I can tell, is practically fully comp.

Mrs Eb's car is an old one and not very valuable, it's with Generali and is TPF+T done through a local agent here. Next year we'll move it to Harriett if she can offer better cover. It would still represent a loss of €3,500 which I'd rather not risk.

Good luck with it and do keep us posted as I'd like to know more about this tricky subject.

GMJ 23-05-2018 14:03


At the risk of sidetracking this useful thread, can I ask what your car is?

Graham :smile2:

erneboy 23-05-2018 14:12

1 Attachment(s)
A Citroen Mehari Graham.

GMJ 23-05-2018 14:13

That's an interesting one ...although the dog doesn't look too impressed!

Graham :grin2:

MyGalSal 23-05-2018 14:44


Originally Posted by bc109 (Post 2945394)
Allianz will do fully comp. on a motorhome. Comparitive cost ?
Don't know. It took a while to find any company doing fully comp in Spain.

I had a look at Allianz website and it’s all in Spanish. I can work my way through that but as Alan pointed out, I would prefer English to help with the intricacies. Eg. I contacted one company,, who I now realise are an agent for Liberty (that name keeps cropping up) and telephone conversation was going well until she asked value of my proposed van, apparently they only insure up to €40,000. She’s taken details and will get back to me. She gave me a provisional quote of €470. Quite pricey I thought because my last insurance premium for my A class Hymer, of a greater value than the campervan, was only £316.

MyGalSal 23-05-2018 14:50

Hmm, yes, I think I will stick with my UK licence as long as it is accepted. I like the sound of your cars, Alan. New cars just don’t have the same interior smell as old, classic cars.

I am waiting now for quotes from several places. The dealership has also promised to source insurance companies. Let’s see what we end up with. I have about a week before we collect the van.

raynipper 23-05-2018 15:44

We were able to get a 50% NCD discount by showing our insurance agent here in France our old English renewal certs showing more than 9 years of claim free insurance.


bilbaoman 23-05-2018 15:55

Having a car insured in Spain for the last 20 years i will be suprised if you will find comprensive insurance a less than 600 euros or third party at less than 250 euro remember in Spain the car is insured for any driver

bc109 23-05-2018 19:42

Just to change the subject a bit.........

I just noticed that MyGalSal intends to go for residency in Spain.
After all the necessary paperwork is done, it is necessary to enter the Spanish tax system.
Otherwise residency is not actually achieved. Talk to a Spanish gestor at the appropriate time.


bilbaoman 23-05-2018 21:38

Tax residency is only required if you spend more than 183 days a year in Spain but you must register with your local town hall for padron to pay your car tax and property taxes

MyGalSal 24-05-2018 18:42

I have registered at the town hall to get the padron thingy. The dealership where we are buying the car required it. So, so far we have NIE and the Padron thingy 😀. I have arranged the S1 form for medical and when that arrives the next step will be applying for residency but! before we do that final step I need to find out how that affects our UK property. I hear various rumours but would like to find out for myself.

I had another quote today for insurance, from the agent Liberty Seguros transferred me to when they asked my area - Barcelona. €610 fully comp with an excess of €600. That compares poorly to another Liberty agent’s (I contacted directly, advertised on the web as quote of €470 - but that was for a max of €40,000. She has yet to get back to me for a true quote for the value of the van. I also await an email from the dealership who say have emailed me a quote. Still haven’t received that one. I have discovered Allianz have an office in my town so I will pay them a visit tomorrow. The phone number listed did not work so who knows.



erneboy 24-05-2018 21:04

If you aren't living in Spain NIE and padron will be enough to have a local vehicle Sal.

bilbaoman 24-05-2018 22:28

When your S1 form is returned from the UK you will be issued a card by the local health department you can then register with a gp you have to pay 10% of the cost of pescriptions up to 8euros a month.You still have to apply to the UK to renew your E111.As for tax implications take professional advice both in Spain and UK.

bc109 25-05-2018 07:32


I trust you are registered with a GP in the UK. Make a note of the clinic address.
Alarming article in the Guardian yesterday about a person making a visit to the UK having to pay for medical treatment, although receiving a UK pension and paying tax. Having a UK passport didn't seem to make a difference. The salient point seems to be that during her time working in the UK she never registered with a GP.
When I attended a clinic in the UK last year for a minor problem, my National Insurance number allowed the front desk to find my last clinic visited some 16 years ago, and I was challenged to confirm my last address.
Only now have I understood the significance of that action. Apparently the law changed in 2015 about treatment for people classed as visitors. Bizarre ? It's hard to believe.

Don't become a visitor !

MyGalSal 25-05-2018 16:35

When I lived in Saudi and was on a visit to the UK I visited a doctor and was charged £35. That was in the early eighties and we were paying our National Insurance contributions whilst abroad.
Last week, when I applied to the Ministry in Newcastle,(my home town as it happens) they told me that when I received my S1 (in three to four weeks and they post it to your Spanish address) I had to register it with the INSS (social security I think) and that if, when I was on a visit to the UK and I needed medical treatment I should be sure to tell the doctor my Spanish address otherwise my NHS would automatically transfer back to UK. I don’t know about paying in the UK if you have the Spanish health card. I would assume it works in the same way the EHIC does here. They also said I would have to apply for some other kind of EHIC - I forget the name, something like EHIC-E, I will have to look it up again my mind is so full of stuff at the moment - for travelling in other European countries like France etc. Which reminds me because I will be travelling through France in July. I am not in a hurry to apply for residency but the looming possible changes to all our lives are in the not too distant future - I am not going to say the B... word -and it makes one think.

So the dealership has come up trumps. They have sourced Zalba-Caldu, fully comp at less than €500 pa with an excess also of less than €500. It includes travel insurance and an unlimited time in UK France etc. Oh, and it covers total value of the vehicle unlike some nonsense from a firm I contacted. That’ll do for me.

Thanks all for all help and advice. I will close off this thread with a pic next week when I have successfully collected van etc.its busy being registered etc right now.


powerplus 25-05-2018 17:26


pleased you have it sorted


MyGalSal 01-06-2018 11:40

1 Attachment(s)
Oh happy day. Welcome to the ‘diddy one’. Picked it up yesterday. Superb drive. Well pleased; however, it does feel diddly after the Hymer. Not a bad thing, just different.

Attached a pic of Baby Billy Bürstner (I promise we will lose that name fairly quickly!). 😂

raynipper 01-06-2018 13:41

I had delivery vans larger than that. It's 11m or nothing now.


jiwawa 01-06-2018 15:03

Doesn't he look well Sally?! How do you feel about the pitch now he's in residence?

MyGalSal 01-06-2018 18:04


Originally Posted by raynipper (Post 2951242)
I had delivery vans larger than that. It's 11m or nothing now.



MyGalSal 01-06-2018 18:09


Originally Posted by jiwawa (Post 2951330)
Doesn't he look well Sally?! How do you feel about the pitch now he's in residence?

He does look well indeed Jean. Well pleased. Smart looking fella. And there’s plenty of room on the pitch although I have had a sneak peek at 21 again because then he could be parked neatly and discreetly at the side rather than the front. We shall see. Morning is shady but afternoon is full on sun on our present pitch.

MyGalSal 01-06-2018 18:16

I will have to change my avatar - ah, the final goodbye to my Hymer - except I can’t remember how and size and number of pixels etc. Perhaps I will just leave it for old times sake. :wink2:

raynipper 28-01-2019 20:45

Add it might be but could just be the ticket for some.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:32.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome