Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Declared mileage forInsurance

1K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Pudsey_Bear 
#1 ·
Hi all,
Next year we will be embarking on our first European Tour in our soon to be purchased motor home.
My question is. When requesting an insurance quote how many miles do you declare to the company? I have a rough idea of where we intend to visit and have a guestimate as to the route mileage. But there is always the chance that we could just stay longer and drive further!
Would love to hear your thoughts and miles.
Nick

#2 ·
We have done 23000 miles over the last 3 years. We have visited Portugal for the winter and basically wandered through France and Spain on the way there and back except for one year when we visited Italy (as far down as Tuscany), coming back through Austria and Germany.

I reckon 6,000 miles would cover a basic trip to Iberia and back and include some mileage in the UK. I was told one year it doesn't have to be exact but I don't think it makes a lot of difference to the premium to go a bit higher.

JohnW

#3 ·
In my experience I have only ever been asked what my annual mileage will be, I've never been asked the question about individual trips.

If it is annual you are referring to then I would always over estimate for the first year and then you can always trim it back in subsequent years. Having now retired we find that 6000 miles will cover our annual use. Generally about 2500 of that is used up in a 6 week May/June break. The remaining 3500 will be UK miles throughout the year.

It's interesting that I've never been asked about odometer readings when taking out insurance with limited mileage. Having said that I'm pretty sure that the insurance company would be checking MOT and servicing records in the event of a claim!!

Phil

#4 ·
The money difference for the odd extra couple of thousand miles is negligible. Much better to over state than underestimate, however if you went over by a thousand, I doubt they would throw a claim out!

#5 ·
Hi Nick, don't know if my very limited experience has any bearing but we have had our MH for less than two weeks but we've already done 1200 most over two weekends. Since my annual estimate for insurance purposes was 5000, it appears I will be way off beam. Gawd knows what the ramifications will be when it comes to renewal but what the heck, tan on and enjoy it. We are loving it and can't get enough of our new toy! Best regards Trev.

#7 ·
As a bit of a worrier I went for 8000 which seems to be more than enough and costs only a few quid more.

Also our policy states that in the event of a claim they reserve the right to charge you the difference for the higher mileage

(ie no penalty) so it's hardly a deal breaker..........................in fact I don't know why they bother.

#8 ·
We were on 10,000 miles initially but realised this was too much.
At renewal time I asked about a reduction and and after discussion reduced it to 6000.

I was told that if, during the course of the year this proved to be was insufficient just call them and it could be altered for a small fee.
In fact we've been close on a couple of occasions but not exceeded the 6000.

#10 ·
We're with Adrian Flux and they don't seem to want to know the miles we do each year, they average it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.