Insuring non-UK MH - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 15-06-2014, 18:02 Thread Starter

Insuring non-UK MH

Hi All , this my first post ......
Anyone familiar with arranging motorhome insurance with EU breakdown cover for non-UK registered vehicles ?
I am a Brit , long term resident of Croatia and managed to buy one of the few Cro registered motorhomes a couple of months ago . On purchase , to get it road-legal I had to hastily arrange 3rd party insurance with a Cro insurer who told me that we could look at upgrading to a fuller kasko "later" ..... never happened .
After many weeks of wasted time with almost all Cro insurers , it is now clear that no suitable policies exist here , best that they can do so far is to cobble something together based on a commercial vehicle but nothing to address the specific risks for MH .
Previous owner tells me not to waste money on insurance and not to worry !!
Problem is that there are hardly any Croatians owning motorhomes . They see plenty of them being driven around by foreigners during summer , but for many Croatians (especially in South) the whole camping concept is not understood .
So no demand = no specific policies = no good for me .
Any owners (expats ?) out there that had similar probs and know of an insurance provider that can give me cover ?
I already contacted MH Facts insurance and was advised that the vehicle has to have UK plates .
Many thanks in advance for any leads !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 15-06-2014, 18:08

Nicholsong may be able to help.

Poland is not Croatia of course, but Geoff is pretty knowledgeable and may be able to point you in the right direction.

Dave
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 16-06-2014, 09:49

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Dave

keensteve PMed me but I was of little help since my MH is still UK registered, as Poland will not register RHD.

So I have it insured, and MOTed, in UK with 365 days Europe cover.

As far as I know insurers in any country will only insure vehicles registered in that country. It is one of the contentious issues in the EU about financial services not being subject to the free-market principle.

Geoff

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 17-06-2014, 10:50

Quote:
As far as I know insurers in any country will only insure vehicles registered in that country.
Geoff
That may generally be the case but I do know of people in Portugal who have a UK registered car that is insured on a Portuguese policy.

Maybe ADAC could help here. They will cover for breakdown EU wide as we know but maybe, just maybe, they could offer or suggest a EU insurance policy?

JohnW
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 17-06-2014, 12:58

My Motorhome: 2001 Benimar 6000sl on Ducato 2.8JTD
A lot of Brits in Spain insure their UK registered vehicles (which they keep here permanently!) via Insurance Companies/brokers here in Spain too.
They pays their money and they gets a certificate.

But whether such a policy would pay out or not...............
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 17-06-2014, 13:00

AXA use to be good for insuring UK cars in Germany....what a lot of us soldiers use to use.

They are Europe wide so try them.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 17-06-2014, 13:20

My Motorhome: Burstner Aviano
I know there are Brits resident in France who insure UK registered cars with French insurers as well. I believe AXA is one company which does that.

I also saw a UK registered car last week, driven by a Frenchman which was displaying French insurance so it is certainly possible. Sorry but I did not take note of which company was the insurer.

On a related point and specifically to Geoff, how does your UK insurer view the 365 day cover, is consecutive period allowed? I ask because I have the mh insured on 365 day Europe use BUT specified max 180 days consecutive. This because all EU countries limit Non-domestic vehicles to 6 month use on foreign plates - after that the vehicle should be transferred to domestic registration. That is certainly true in France and UK and I understand it is another EU rule (but certainly not universally respected, of course!).

Alan
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 17-06-2014, 13:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhod
I know there are Brits resident in France who insure UK registered cars with French insurers as well. I believe AXA is one company which does that.

I also saw a UK registered car last week, driven by a Frenchman which was displaying French insurance so it is certainly possible. Sorry but I did not take note of which company was the insurer.

On a related point and specifically to Geoff, how does your UK insurer view the 365 day cover, is consecutive period allowed? I ask because I have the mh insured on 365 day Europe use BUT specified max 180 days consecutive. This because all EU countries limit Non-domestic vehicles to 6 month use on foreign plates - after that the vehicle should be transferred to domestic registration. That is certainly true in France and UK and I understand it is another EU rule (but certainly not universally respected, of course!).

Alan
Hi Al...our Saga cover has no limit on duration within the 365 days. I believe the 6 months then re register applies to any one country so bobbing out for a week after 179 days in to a neighbour country solves that (how would they know when you entered anyway ?)....Nomad's post is puzzling as if they insure your vehicle they're accepting you're in the country longer than allowed..but then again it is Spain
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 17-06-2014, 16:44

My Motorhome: Burstner Aviano
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyforoff

Hi Al...our Saga cover has no limit on duration within the 365 days. I believe the 6 months then re register applies to any one country so bobbing out for a week after 179 days in to a neighbour country solves that (how would they know when you entered anyway ?)....Nomad's post is puzzling as if they insure your vehicle they're accepting you're in the country longer than allowed..but then again it is Spain
As you say, what the law says and what happens are not necessarily the same
And France is just the same - I know of two UK nationals, resident in Franbce, who have UK registered vehicles insured in France by French insurers and have been so for some years. Strange thing is they still go back to get the MOT to keep it legal! I know it is possible to get ba French CT (MOT) on a UK reg vehicle but it's valid only for, I think, max 3 months whilst registering in France.

Alan
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 17-06-2014, 16:56

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alhod

Alan
Alan

I replied to this once but it has disappeared.

Last year the MH was in UK for several months while we flew back and forth touring N. England and Scotland. Insurers were informed about parking locations.

The MH has never been in a non-UK country for more than 6 months - I have always assumed that the six months must be consecutive, otherwise there must be many MHs that have over the years spent six months in several countries. We frequently, as on coming Thursday, go to Slowakia for the w/e. As with all Schengen, no record of comings and goings.

Were I to keep the vehicle in Poland for 6 months, the Polish Government are still refusing to re-register RHD, in breach of a European Court ruling in May, so it would be difficult for them to argue that I had failed to register in Poland.

Geoff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page