Insuring non-UK MH - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 19-06-2014, 08:58 Thread Starter

Yes thieawin , you are right but even with best intentions to comply with residency laws , there can be some surprises with seemingly illogical restrictions .

Another poster already mentioned that some countries will not allow importation/registration of RHD vehicles .

And in my case , before emigrating I actually bought LHD vehicle in the UK with intention to legalise it in Croatia , only to find out that they would not allow this for vehicles more than seven years old - it was a few months older than 7 years , low mileage , perfect condition but it would not even be accepted for technical inspection because the rule says 7 years , no further discussion .

Yes , I should have thoroughly checked everything beforehand , assume nothing !

I expect that there were/are other similar impractical restrictions facing expats in other EU countries , harmonisation of rules is far from complete . In the meantime , you do your best .

Anyhow , that is all history for me now .

End of story is that I am legal with minimum insurance .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 19-06-2014, 09:29 Thread Starter

Perhaps the Gods are looking down on me (favorably !) .... just a few minutes after sending my last post , I got an email from the Cro insurance company which provides me with the 3rd party cover .

They say that they would be prepared to 'look at and consider' a proposed policy that meets the special risks of MH . They clearly state that this is only an offer for them to consider my needs , but basically seems that they are asking me to put together my own FULLY COMP policy and send it to them to look at .

This is my first MH , so I don't have a policy to guide me . But in any case , I am thinking that my risks would be the following (in no order of priority) ....

Damage to the MH from accident .
Windscreen .
Explosion from gas bottles .
Fire on board .
Theft of MH .
Theft of personal items from MH .
Water leaking from internal pipes ?

Would be grateful if anyone can let me know if I missed something please .

Not sure what my chances are of the insurer accepting everything on my wish list , but have to try !
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 29-06-2014, 20:06 Thread Starter

Got insurance

In the unlikely event that anyone still interested in how I got on with arranging full comp insurance for a Croatian registered MH , I did finally get an offer and with no other options I had to take it . Cost me about GBP 650 plus about GBP 250 for the basic 3rd party insurance . Unfortunately it still has gaps compared to the MH Policies I see on this and ADAC site and has absolutely no breakdown cover but what can I do ? I now have a flakey policy which at least covers me against theft and total loss , so this is something ! But other basic MH damages eg water are not covered . As we say here , step by step .

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 24-08-2014, 19:39

I live in france and all the people who are driving uk reg cars in france after 6 months are ILLEGAL, yes the insurers insure you but they assume you will re register the car and its up to you to do so but if you have a bang you are NOT INSURED, it happened to a friend of mine, and that is why if I ever have a prang with anybody on Uk plates they aint going anywhere until the Gendarmes get there, this is a very grey area and so called experts are talking rubbish and people listen to them because its easier to go along with the lies. The French police are now starting to really tighten up on this they can also tell how long you have been here because of vehicle number recognition which automatically scans all vehicles going through borders (ferries tunnels etc)
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 25-08-2014, 07:24

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffodil
I live in france and all the people who are driving uk reg cars in france after 6 months are ILLEGAL, yes the insurers insure you but they assume you will re register the car and its up to you to do so but if you have a bang you are NOT INSURED, it happened to a friend of mine, and that is why if I ever have a prang with anybody on Uk plates they aint going anywhere until the Gendarmes get there, this is a very grey area and so called experts are talking rubbish and people listen to them because its easier to go along with the lies. The French police are now starting to really tighten up on this they can also tell how long you have been here because of vehicle number recognition which automatically scans all vehicles going through borders (ferries tunnels etc)
There might be cameras at ports and other major borders but there are many side roads. I used to drive from my friends' house in a village near Basle which was very close to the French border which snaked, and on that road one crossed the border 7 times and very rarely was there a check and I am sure there will still not be cameras at every crossing.

Geoff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page