Insuring non-UK MH - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 17-06-2014, 17:46

My Motorhome: 2001 Benimar 6000sl on Ducato 2.8JTD
Re: the over 6 months rule........yes, there is the EU-wide same 6 months max rule for a vehicle with non-Spanish plates being kept/used in Spain.
But no-one enforces it.
An Insurance Company is a private business. In it to make money.
If you ask one here in Spain to insure your foreign plated car for a year, they'll happily take your money and give you a certificate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 18-06-2014, 11:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNomad
If you ask one here in Spain to insure your foreign plated car for a year, they'll happily take your money and give you a certificate.
I don't suppose anyone knows an insurance company in Belgium that will do that?
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 18-06-2014, 11:59

My Motorhome: Burstner Aviano
Quote:
Re: the over 6 months rule........yes, there is the EU-wide same 6 months max rule for a vehicle with non-Spanish plates being kept/used in Spain.
But no-one enforces it.
A friend who has a house right darn sarf in Spain said recently that the police there do seem to be starting to check some foreign registered vehicles.

Alan

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 18-06-2014, 13:18

There are a whole raft of EU regulations that allow insurers in any EU country to insure vehicles registered elsewhere in the EU. The problems arise as to extra costs of dealing with a claim against a "foreign" insurer and the insurer dealing with a claim by a foreign claimant. It adds expense and cost, translations etc. So they are pragmatically reluctant to do it, the Regulations make it possible, stop National Governments from banning it (which used to happen) but leave taking it up and implementing to the market and the private companies who provide insurance, who are economically reluctant
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 18-06-2014, 13:41

My Motorhome: 2001 Benimar 6000sl on Ducato 2.8JTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by alhod
Quote:
But no-one enforces it.
A friend who has a house right darn sarf in Spain said recently that the police there do seem to be starting to check some foreign registered vehicles.

Alan

Indeed, the Police are now doing so a lot more than in the past.

But they cannot tell at a roadside check how long that Brit car has been in Spain.
They'll mostly check drivers licence, and insurance paperwork.
Very very rarely (not often enough!) the Police will mount a much more serious roadblock/checking point. But even with a Guardia Civil officer who is clued up on what these Brit reg'd vehicles should have in order to be driven legally in Spain, such a more in-depth check only looks for Tax disc and MOT certificate, NOT how long the foreign reg'd car has been over here in Spain.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 18-06-2014, 13:48

The 6 month temporary importation regulation isn't EU its UN/Worldwide under the Vienna Convention for International Circulation. It allows temporary importation of a foreign registered vehicle by a foreign resident without paying taxes and import duties as long as the vehicle is legally registered, taxed and road compliant in the home country.

Lets not confuse legalities over importation with questions over insurance purchasing.

Likewise the ITV, MOT, CT is irrelevant to the foreign country, as long as its road legal on the day you are stopped. Also whilst the French may do a CT on a UK vehicle, and the Spanish and ITV (although the rules say they can't some ITV stations are flexible) it has no meaning because it isn't recognised back in UK for MOT for tax and insurance
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 18-06-2014, 14:16

My Motorhome: Burstner Aviano
Wonder what the Spanish will say when the tax disc disappears next year and it all goes on line!
I agree this whole area is a morass of contradictions and anomalies - perhaps it will all become clear when the entire EU is administered on a central basis from Brussels and all countries have the same rules.
Hey - there goes another one - pig, flying across the sky
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 18-06-2014, 14:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhod
Wonder what the Spanish will say when the tax disc disappears next year and it all goes on line!
I agree this whole area is a morass of contradictions and anomalies - perhaps it will all become clear when the entire EU is administered on a central basis from Brussels and all countries have the same rules.
Hey - there goes another one - pig, flying across the sky
There was an EU regulation which will allow them to check on line. It was struck down by the European Court because it had been made under the incorrect provision, it is being re made as we type. That has been discussed on here before
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 18-06-2014, 17:13 Thread Starter

Many thanks to all for raising some interesting points from my original post and giving me a few leads .

I do also have experience with the 6 month dilemma .... I arrived in Croatia to live back in 2000 and at that time I brought a UK registered car . Most Brit expats who are permanently resident in another country are aware of their peculiar legal requirements after six months residency , we try to find ways to comply as far as is practical and hope for the best .

Croatia is no different and for a few years I kept the UK vehicle over here and was indeed able to get it reinsured (but only 3rd party) every six months . As The Nomad said , there is always a company willing to take your money and issue a certificate (but will they pay out ??) .

I was not comfortable with this arrangement and after a couple of years I got rid of the vehicle and bought a kosher Cro registered vehicle , Cro insurance etc .

Driving around long-term with a UK vehicle was not a good solution for me . Legally , I was/am a permanent resident of Croatia , but aside from wanting to keep legal , a major worry was regarding what could happen in case of a big insurance claim e.g. involving liability from injury (or worse) you can be sure that the company who so easily took the money for so long and who so easily gave out certificates will be looking for a way to escape a massive payout . In my mind , there is no doubt that in such a case the insurers will point to the owners status and responsibility , make the claim void .

And by recently buying a Cro-legal MH , I gave myself another problem ! - it has 3rd party insurance , but can't get any full-comp or MH-specific insurance because there is no market for that here !

Still waiting to hear back from ADAC , I had hoped that they were my last chance but after considering thieawin's good explanation , seems that I won't be able to crack this one . Will be more than a bit of a worry touring around Europe without any breakdown cover or MH insurance .
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 19-06-2014, 06:20

Isn't break down cover available separately to insurance? I know RAC won't cover a foreign registered car, but seeminglybADAC will.

The insurance is more difficult. I don't know the answer.

Incidentally if you remove a vehicle from the UK permanently ( 12 months) you are supposed to cancel registration. So when you originally went to Croatia to live there were two things.

1. The 6 months rule didn't apply, it only applies to temporary residents temporarily importing. You needed to register immediately

2. You were required to cancel here.

The fact is pragmatically people don't. They hope for best, downside is that if you are caught the vehicle can be impounded and import duties and taxes charged, although that may not be an issue with a personal vehicle, not new, within the EU

I keep an IOM registered car in Spain. We have no MOT in IOM so no need to come back annually. It's locked away off road when not there. My UK insurer is fine about granting fully comp insurance even though garaged/kept in Spain. I've made full declarations in writing, so they've no wriggle room.

You are never without cover. Even if your insurer tries to avoid they are required to pay out to any third party claimant under uninsured driver agreements, which are an EU requirement. Of course they may then chase you. About 10% of your premiums EU wide go to pay out victims of uninsured/avoided/cancelled policy drivers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page