Satellite reception across Europe - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 454 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 18:34 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,204 Times in 1,050 Posts
Personal Aire
Satellite reception across Europe

There have been a few threads and posts lately reporting problems with Satellite reception in places where the user would normally expect a reasonable reception.

Apparently the changeover to Astra 1N whilst it should have reasonable coverage the "Drop off" is more severe than the old satellites.

We have a Camos Dome 40cm and are off across France to Alsace, Black Forest, down lake Constance and onto Austria and Slovenia, coming back across Italy into Provence.

In the past I know I would get BBC1, ITV etc as far as Fussen in Bavaria and down into the Italian Lakes but havent been further east than that before. It usually works all over France.

So my question is what can we expect this year and has anybody got any recent experience of reception with similar equipment since the changeover?

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 454 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 20:30

My Motorhome: Bürstner City Car C540 and Kip caravan
Well we have just had a 'first'. Our dish has locked on to the satellite but we can't get any reception at all - on any channel. We have never had this before. Once the dish locks on we always get most if not all channels - depending on how far south in Spain we are. We are in Barcelona right now. Left Benicassim last week and it worked fine - even picking up a signal apparently through a tree! Our neighbours were amazed we were getting anything. And now - nothing!

We will shift the van tomorrow to check it out. There are lots of trees around so we will have to move to a completely clear area to see whether it is reception or if we have a problem. Too tired tonight to bother. It will have to keep until tomorrow. Not bothered anyway until the next F1 - then Le Tour - then Wimbledon!

Sal

I'm on the road again
Going places I have never been
Going places I may never see again
Just can't wait to be on the road again

Willie Nelson says it all.
post #3 of 454 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 20:38 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGalSal
Well we have just had a 'first'. Our dish has locked on to the satellite but we can't get any reception at all - on any channel. We have never had this before. Once the dish locks on we always get most if not all channels - depending on how far south in Spain we are. We are in Barcelona right now. Left Benicassim last week and it worked fine - even picking up a signal apparently through a tree! Our neighbours were amazed we were getting anything. And now - nothing!

We will shift the van tomorrow to check it out. There are lots of trees around so we will have to move to a completely clear area to see whether it is reception or if we have a problem. Too tired tonight to bother. It will have to keep until tomorrow. Not bothered anyway until the next F1 - then Le Tour - then Wimbledon!

Sal
I think the changes were earlier this year so its unlikely to be down to that. Probably a tree.

What dish have you got?

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

post #4 of 454 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 21:09

My Motorhome: Esterel 21LB
Send a message via Skype™ to carol
Barry

We are still in France Camos 40cm dome

Last end Sept/Oct in France, as we went south, we could only pick up ITV1 no BBC except until about 5pm.

We went to RoadPro to get sat checked, as I had been in touch with them, as we had always got a signal down in Narbonne before and thought it was a problem

I posted then, and GerryD said then abouth some changes on Sept 20th I thnk it was

This year as we got further south again, BBC dropped off, it was thunder and lightening, which didn't help

So we reckon that we can no longer expect to pick up BBC channels

We have only been down to Leucate Plage, and mainly central France area this time. As we have driven north, all channels came back, so I reckon it has to be the footprint

Carol

Carol

Wishing you the Best
Opportunity never goes away!
It just goes to someone else!

Thinking of Peter, Fiona, Chris,UncleNorm and Viv, but still Fighting with Mavis, Ray, and Paul (Otto)

For friends Click for Photos of Aires, Chateau etc. Please leave comments if you wish.

post #5 of 454 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 21:19 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by carol
Barry

We are still in France Camos 40cm dome

Last end Sept/Oct in France, as we went south, we could only pick up ITV1 no BBC except until about 5pm.

We went to RoadPro to get sat checked, as I had been in touch with them, as we had always got a signal down in Narbonne before and thought it was a problem

I posted then, and GerryD said then abouth some changes on Sept 20th I thnk it was

This year as we got further south again, BBC dropped off, it was thunder and lightening, which didn't help

So we reckon that we can no longer expect to pick up BBC channels

We have only been down to Leucate Plage, and mainly central France area this time. As we have driven north, all channels came back, so I reckon it has to be the footprint

Carol
Thanks Carol.

I seem to remember you posting about it. Ours was fine in September / October in the Dordogne, Prior to that AUgust September we were in Provence and Averyron and it was ok.

The weather does effect ours as well.

post #6 of 454 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 22:15

Here you are Barry Footprint map for your system
http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/pd...rint%20map.pdf

Dave p

post #7 of 454 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 22:45

The channels on Astra 2D were all moved to Astra 1N, the last moved late Feb 2012.

1Ns footprint is very generous in Spain, but it is affecting those on the eastern side of europe.

In Spain, many channel that were not available even on 2.4m dishes, are now available 24/7 on 80cm and 1m dishes.

Yet 1N has had a bad effect on the east. Some people with 1.5m dishes in Hungary no longer receive any BBC or ITV channels. Greece and Cyprus the same on their 4m dishes!

Yet with the 3 replacement sateklites, the first Astra 2F going up Q4 this year, you can expect further changes in reception until the last launch in Q1 2014.

Also note that if you used frequency 12129 as your default transponder to help the sky box boot up, then note that S4C, the lone channel on 12129 moved to another frequency - meaning 12129 no longer carries any information that can be used to boot a sky box. use another frequency instead like 12207 or 12051.

As for the map - Astra 2C went away to another location a long time ago!
post #8 of 454 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 22:57 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTPCHEMICALS
Here you are Barry Footprint map for your system
http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/pd...rint%20map.pdf

Dave p
Thanks Dave, I have seen that one before but its for the old Astra 2D satellite and not the new North 1D which is what is being used now.

Looks like heading east is probably going to be an issue then.

post #9 of 454 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 12:23

My Motorhome: Bürstner City Car C540 and Kip caravan
Barry, we have an Oyster 85cm dish. We did have the thing last year when it didn't lock on to the satellite when they started messing around with the frequency. We fixed it then and changed the transponder frequency to 12207 and have had no problems since. We were in Barcelona - same site as we are on now - end of March picked up all channels. Just been down to Torrevieja - picked up many channels there, also at Benicassim. Now back to Barcelona. dish locks on but no satellite signal. Zilch. We moved the van this morning, it locked on again in its new position but still no satellite signal Message #29. As we tried to change the frequency - which on the TV shows 12129 - just in case - we got an error message " cannot change frequency whilst two channels are recording". We are not trying to record anything. We do have a Sky+ box but only 1 LNB so in the past have only been able to record the channel that the TV is programmed to. Don has checked all wires, cables, plugs etc and everything seems OK. We are stumped!

Any suggestions satellite guys?

Sal

I'm on the road again
Going places I have never been
Going places I may never see again
Just can't wait to be on the road again

Willie Nelson says it all.
post #10 of 454 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 13:02

MyGalSal: the solution is to go back and use 12207.

Since S4C left 12129 on Thursday 31st May, there are no channels on 12129.

(presumably a cost saving measure - why rent a hole transponder for just one channels, when they can save money by moving onto another shared transponder)

So there is no EPG data on 12129.
So Sky boxes will not boot up using 12129 as there is no data for them to use to boot up.

So just use another like 12207, or 12051 to help the box boot up.

The message about 2 recordings is because it cannot find a signal, and so it thinks both inputs are being used for recordings.
Unplug the box, leave for 30 seconds and reboot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page