satellite tv - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 13-07-2011, 18:10 Thread Starter

satellite tv

I have recently had a sky +hd box fitted. When we went away prevously we took the the sky box with us and using a camos portable automatic dish it worked ok. do I need a new dish, how have other members got on when they have had a new box
peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 13-07-2011, 19:01

A SkyHD+ box is designed for use with a twin output LNB, with the two cables going to the two inputs on the Sky HD + box.

This allows the box to record channels on one group of frequencies, whilst you are watching another channel on another group of frequencies.

If you do not want to "watch one and record another at the same time" then you can get the SkyHD+ box to use just a signle cable input, by putting the SkyHD+ box into "single feed mode" - services, 0, 0, 1, select, and its at the bottom of the screen, turn this on, save, and the box will reboot using the single cable input on input 1.

Apaert from that, I would have thought it should work exactly as any other sky box you have used on the system in the past.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 13-07-2011, 20:55

Hi china,
I purchased a used Sky HD box of Ebay last year, registered it with Sky for 25 and took it to Oropesa just above Benicasim where I hoped to watch the 5 main channels using my Camos dome, it did not work so I phoned satandpcguy but I was out of his work area, I then used a local fitter who sold me a 85cm x 95cm portable dish which pulled in all 5 channels on the southern HD beam using a standard TV.
It uses a single LNB and I also make use of it when in the bottom end of France when the Camos fails.
Yes it works okay in the UK but I leave it at home as it requires 240v and is a bit bulky, I have just bought an invertor for the next trip abroad so I can get more use of the HD.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 13-07-2011, 22:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob23
... I then used a local fitter who sold me a 85cm x 95cm portable dish which pulled in all 5 channels on the southern HD beam using a standard TV.
BBC1HD and BBC HD are and have only ever been on Astra 2D...which has one beam, (no north or south beam - those are on 2a and 2b), so you will not have been getting those on a "south beam".
ITV1HD is now only on Astra 2d - the south beam version on 11973 is no more, having moved earlier this year.
C4HD moved from a south beam and is now on Eurobird1 beam.
5HD is still on a south beam.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 15-07-2011, 08:36

To satandpcguy,

Thanks for the fresh info on HD, I admit some of the jargon flows past my brain, I acquired the HD south beam thought from reading the thread started by derek500 on the 02/04/10 and to which you put good info where he suggested buying a used HD box on ebay.

The box and dish did the trick for the wifes soaps although she sometimes had problems when darkness came.

I have acquired a Maxpeak SAM-lite which has a setting selected on it Astra 2 Southbeam 28.2 East, I have not yet been back to Spain to try it out but this is also where the southbeam thinking comes from.

Keep up your responses to satellite TV as I and I would think many others appreciate them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page