No signal - tried everything, please help!!!! - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 13-09-2009, 16:06 Thread Starter

No signal - tried everything, please help!!!!

Bought multimo from road pro at show yesterday. We have tried all day at home before we go on holiday in just a few days time to get a 'picture'. Followed all the instructions and lots of trouble shooting. We are newbies at this and we are just about to give in. We have up to 79% level but no quality have checked LNB and is on. Moved the dish elevation this way that way for astra 2b. Have taken everything upstairs with dish at an open window not far from our home sky dish but nothing. We were warned it might take sometime to get the hang of it but what are we missing!!! Been on various sites regarding dish positioning for our postcode etc The sat finder that came with it creates an awful noise - it gets up 3 lights out of the 6. ?? PLEASE GIVE US SOME ADVICE MANY THANKS LESLIE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 13-09-2009, 16:12

We had a lot of problems with our system which was already installed in our van. However when we at last were on a CL site recently which had no trees or other obstructions we were astounded to find that we had perfect reception after 5 minutes. Of course you may have a different problem but my advice is to head for a wide open space to try your system before you decide there is another cause.

David
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 13-09-2009, 16:18

Try selecting another satellite such as the first one from due south say 9degrees and see if Hotbird I think it is and set an all tp and all networks search and leave it to play . Then do the same with Astra 1 on 13 degrees and then Astra 2. Make all searches FTA . Unless it is a dedicated Sky box you have to tell it what you want. There will be various signal reports as you cycle the dish round but until you get quality it is the wrong satellite. Also you know there is nothing wrong with your LNB as you have a signal. The various Menus should help but read the book carefully and make sure you understand the decoder.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 13-09-2009, 16:26

I do not know about the Multimo but I have heared that its a really good dish.
Because it is a small size I do know that it would be considerably harder to tune into ther astra 2 than say,a bespoke a sky dish.
Are you pointing it at the right satellite first, are you using the sky digibox tuning in set up as shown on your television, which will tell you when you
when you are locked on to it.
The signal finder should have an atenuater, which you should use whilst very slowly moving the dish take the signal to its maximum then turn back the atenuater until the lights drop back then turn the dish until they light up again, this is a fine tune.
What coax lead are you using the satellite coax is different from ordinary arial coax, I once spent over an hour with a fellow motor homer trying to tune in his satellite before I noticed this.
let me know how you get on I am sure there are lots more on here who will only too pleased to help you as well
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 13-09-2009, 17:52

Make sure that you are locked on to astra 2 and not Astra 1b as they are next door to each other.If your decoder is set for Astra 2 and you are pointing at 1b it will show a strong signal on your sat finder but give no picture.If you suspect this may be the case the set your decoder to astra 1b and bbc news 24 ,if that comes up ok you need to go a few more degrees east on the same 19 degree elevation
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 13-09-2009, 19:51

I have a Multimo and find it a doddle to set up. I first ensure that the dish is level on the tripod that I use. I then start the dish facing roughly North and slowly swing it towards the South. The Astra Sat you need is the first one that the finder bleeps at. If you got the sat finder with the dish you should be able to get all lights illuminated and the highest audible tone.
Make sure you have the correct elevation set on the dish before you start. I think its about 24 degrees where I am but that varies slightly. Once you get the highest tone/most lights lit you can fine tune by adjusting the elevation very slightly. You can also adjust the LNB itself for optimum results. I have used this dish with no problems including all through France.
Have another go I think its a good bit of equipment and easy to set up in about 5 minutes after you have done it once.
I am using it with the sat finder supplied with it and a Zehnder receiver from Road Pro
Dave
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 13-09-2009, 19:52

You are probably getting a signal from Astra1 which wont register if you are using it with a sky satellite box.. Try turning the dish about a centimetre to the left.

If you are using a Skybox it is so much more difficult to realise when you are locked on to a satellite as there is quite a delay before the signal registers and the picture appears.

It was for this reason that I bought a free to air box from Maplins for around 40 which gives you a picture as soon as you are locked on. With such a box, which also has an inbuilt satellite finder, I can get a picture in about 30 seconds but it takes some practice.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 15-09-2009, 18:25

buy your self a good quality compass and set it at 148.8 degrees which is just east of south, set the dish bracket that clamps onto a tube verticle, set the elevation which is in the instructions about 22 deg. the compass will give you the direction of the satellite but keep it away from any metal parts as this will knock the needle off.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 15-09-2009, 18:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by degzie
buy your self a good quality compass
and IMO there is no such thing as a good digital compass
Patrick
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 16-09-2009, 18:34

never said a digital compass

i have a suunto compass that i have had for many years and use with a map when out walking, and use it in conjunction with this site http://www.dishpointer.com/ no need to guess which direction you need to point the dish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page