Bluddy Humax PVR - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 19-09-2020, 13:31

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldlygo View Post
Not sure what you mean by that Dick. There is quite a choice of boxes that will view and record freesat channels. Easilly found on ebay, Amazon or maybe here - https://www.world-of-satellite.com/

Paul Humax, who made Freesat PVRs under licence from Freesat, stopped making them earlier this year although there are still some old ones available. Freesat themselves are now making the PVRs. As you say there are still manufacturers (Manhattan etc.) that make receivers but none I think that make PVRs. You can of course still get a subscription PVR box like Sky or Apple that will do it but the whole point is to go sub free isnít it? Plenty of Freeview PVRs

Or maybe Iím wrong I would be interested to know.

https://www.smartaerials.co.uk/blog/...-freesat-boxes
raynipper likes this.

Last edited by Glandwr; 19-09-2020 at 13:37.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 19-09-2020, 14:13

Well, I still feel a bit of a newbie when it comes to satellite PVRs. Having been a fan of Linux on PCs I have been attracted to Linux based Enigma 2 boxes of which there several manufacturers, zgemma being my choice. These boxes don't usually have a recording disk included but allow a standard external USB or Sata drive to be connected. My existing one has a 1Tb USB and the new one a slot for a 1Tb hard drive.

I set up and manage recordings on my laptop.
Glandwr likes this.

Paul
Founder of SillyLeaks
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 19-09-2020, 18:26

There are currently only two manufactures of Freesat boxes at the moment: Manhattan , and Arris
Manhattan do the basic HD model.
Arris do the 4k and 4k recordable...and sold directly by Freesat themselves, at limited retailers

No one else makes Freesat boxes these days.

Humax do, however, still make Freeview boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldlygo View Post
Not sure what you mean by that Dick. There is quite a choice of boxes that will view and record freesat channels. Easilly found on ebay, Amazon or maybe here - https://www.world-of-satellite.com/
Could find no Freesat boxes found on that link...

But there there are plenty of "free to air" boxes online will get all the same channels (and more..eg c4hd ) than a Freesat box, but without the Freesat guide, epg and functionality...

Freesat do not own or operate any channels. Freesat is merely a portal to access a number of free to air channels.
There are a number of free to air channels that are not on Freesat, but can be access in "non Freesat mode", or on other "free to air" satellite receivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glandwr View Post
Paul Humax, who made Freesat PVRs under licence from Freesat, stopped making them earlier this year although there are still some old ones available.
They actually stopped making them mid 2019 - (that blog post you linked to was posted in Feb 2020, some 6+ months after they stopped making them!)
The last batch left the warehouse in Nov 2019 - i know as i got some of that batch (of which I still have some new 1tb boxes for my clients - could sell them on ebay for a small fortune... 2nd hand 1tb boxes are like 400-500 gbp!!)

The new 4k Arris boxes were due "late 2019"... but it was not until Feb 2020 that they started to trickle out for sale, with the PVR being sold for about a week, then taken off sale due to all the complaints about the bugs and firmware...which are still being ironed out... it was only in one of the most recent firmware updates that the search function was added...and as for "the freesat app" integration and corect HDR settings who knows when they will be sorted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
Good to hear from you. Been a while. Do any of these things work reliably? The biggest problem Mrs D has with hers is it just doesnt tape everything she asks it to. Oddly its more reliable when we are not at home. my gut feeling is it gets confused between two different transmitters. (not humax but Bush).
Erm... All Freesat boxes use the same signals / beams / transponders / satellites...from the satellites.
Freeview uses a tv aerial and land based transmitters, whose sigansl / frequenceies / MUXs vary from place to place..
Penquin and raynipper like this.

Last edited by satandpcguy; 19-09-2020 at 18:59.

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 19-09-2020, 20:36 Thread Starter

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Just managed to buy a Humax HDR-1000S 500GB DVR off e-bay for £53 p&p.

Ray.
baldlygo and Penquin like this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 19-09-2020, 21:25

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,106 Times in 957 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by satandpcguy View Post
Erm... All Freesat boxes use the same signals / beams / transponders / satellites...from the satellites.
Freeview uses a tv aerial and land based transmitters, whose sigansl / frequenceies / MUXs vary from place to place..
Im not using a dish though. Standard aerial on the roof and a Bush PVR. I had a look at the two transmitters on a map and they are kind of equal distance. I reckon the box is getting confused.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 19-09-2020, 23:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
Im not using a dish though. Standard aerial on the roof and a Bush PVR. I had a look at the two transmitters on a map and they are kind of equal distance. I reckon the box is getting confused.
I think we are getting confused on this thread, which is about Freesat (via satellite)...not Freeview (via TV aerial and transmitters).
Penquin and raynipper like this.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 20-09-2020, 06:23 Thread Starter

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Yes 'Guy' it's not difficult to confuse our IT expert.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 20-09-2020, 09:33

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,106 Times in 957 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
Yes 'Guy' it's not difficult to confuse our IT expert.

Ray.
Im not confused. I know what I was asking.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page