First-time Satellite Buyer - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 18-02-2019, 18:42 Thread Starter

First-time Satellite Buyer

We’re travelling through France and Spain soon and need advice on which dish to buy and where to have it fitted. We live near Consett Co Durham. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 18-02-2019, 19:45

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Don't worry we won't hold being a Geordy against you. But UK sat reception will now only be good down to half way through France. Sky limited the 'footprint' last year and it's hit and miss the further away from the Loire you get.

Ray.
My mum came from Consett and my cousin is in Castleside.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifes savings. Guess what? He robbed us of 750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

Last edited by raynipper; 18-02-2019 at 19:47.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 18-02-2019, 21:22

My Motorhome: Hymer B595
I think with a 60cm dish you will get freesat down through Spain. I have a Roadpro mini dome which I fitted myself and it works great in the UK but if you want to go down through Europe you will need a big dish to connect to Astra 2.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 19-02-2019, 07:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coverco View Post
I think with a 60cm dish you will get freesat down through Spain. I have a Roadpro mini dome which I fitted myself and it works great in the UK but if you want to go down through Europe you will need a big dish to connect to Astra 2.
Reception of Freesat (both the EPG and main bbc itv c4 five channels), varies a lot in Spain depending where you are, and the required dish size will also vary, from 80cm to 5m+

Quote:
But UK sat reception will now only be good down to half way through France. Sky limited the 'footprint' last year and it's hit and miss the further away from the Loire you get.
"Sky" did not limit the footprint last year. Astra, who owns the satellites replaced old satellites with new satellites between 2012 and 2015 The signal "footprint" is about the same, but the beam characteristics withing that footprint differ a lot from the old satellites to the new satellites...for example, some areas of Spain benefitting from this (Valencia now can use a 80-1.2m dish instead of 1.8 and 2.4m dishes), where as others areas (BArcelona and CdS) lost out and they need much larger dishes than they were using before
raynipper likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to satandpcguy For This Useful Post:
raynipper (19-02-2019)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 19-02-2019, 07:39

Thanks Guy. I guess I was just be general in my observations.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifes savings. Guess what? He robbed us of 750,000. http://raynipper.com
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 20-02-2019, 16:06

My Motorhome: LMC Liberty Explorer
Living near Consett doesn't make him a Geordie. Why does everybody assume that folk from the North East are all Geordies. Some would find it insulting to be given such a tag.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 20-02-2019, 16:19

My mum born in Ebchester but living in Consett was always referred to as a Geordie while living in London. She never found it a slur.

Ray.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 20-02-2019, 19:34

My Motorhome: I drive...Elddis Autoqueat 185
Hi recently in Benidorm area used a 1.3 x 1.4 mtr. Could get most bbc and itv possibly 30/40 channels but a lot of rubbish. One site has 4 channels plug in ariel on the old analogue with bbc1 Itv 1 channel4 /5. Some internet providers on sites can get you most usable uk channels for about 30 euro per month, we had that at at La Manga . Not had dome put on this van so can,t vouch for France at present.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 20-02-2019, 20:47

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
My mum born in Ebchester but living in Consett was always referred to as a Geordie while living in London. She never found it a slur.

Ray.
When I worked in London everyone north of Watford Gap was a Geordie (Well a northerner)

As for a satellite dish for mainland Europe, I Wouldnt bother these days. You can be out of range of the main UK channels within days now. Better to download a load of stuff and take it with you on a laptop. TV is crap anyway.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 20-02-2019, 20:54

I tend to agree it's mostly crap Barry. If it's not another repeat its not worth watching anyway.
I have gone to a lot of trouble lugging a large 24" PC down to Portugal, great lengths to access UK channels, buy the TV times and if we can see one worthwhile program a day to watch, it's a lot.

Mostly we watch the Portuguese National Geographic and History channels with some fabulous wildlife programs.

Ray.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page