User Tag List

3Likes
  • 1 Post By satandpcguy
  • 1 Post By Mrplodd
  • 1 Post By satandpcguy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 00:51 Thread Starter

Our TV set up

I know this isnít going to be for everyone, but if you are considering including a TV, here is how we keep entertained on the road with Terrestrial, Satellite and internet TV

Please visit our YouTube Channel, where we share our reviews, hints, tips and travel vlogs. ExploreVan.UK on YouTube

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 08:46

FYI: 3:20 - The Freesat from SKy card does not get you any free to air channels. It gets yo about 3 or 4 free to view channels - ie free to watch but encrypted.:
raynipper likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 19:10 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by satandpcguy View Post
FYI: 3:20 - The Freesat from SKy card does not get you any free to air channels. It gets yo about 3 or 4 free to view channels - ie free to watch but encrypted.:
Strange their website quotes 11 "Free to Air" HD channels and I receive these along with the "Free to View" ones.

But to be fair does look like they have put up the price - I think I said £20 - looks like it is now £25.

https://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/

Please visit our YouTube Channel, where we share our reviews, hints, tips and travel vlogs. ExploreVan.UK on YouTube

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 23:16

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
I am reasonably certain that a standard Sky box will recieve ALL the Free to Air satellite channels (but not HD channels) Well that was certainly the case about five years ago when I left Sky but kept their box. I soon changed to a Humax because without a subscription card a Sky box will not record anything.

Andy
raynipper likes this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if itís in a caravan!) I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 01:21 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post
I am reasonably certain that a standard Sky box will recieve ALL the Free to Air satellite channels (but not HD channels) Well that was certainly the case about five years ago when I left Sky but kept their box. I soon changed to a Humax because without a subscription card a Sky box will not record anything.

Andy

Agreed - but I suspect this is because you had your old subscription card in the box, if you buy a box second hand they often don't come with the previous owners card.

I know they have been changing things pretty recently with moving channels to UK beam, but the last time I checked it was something like:

Box with no card - a few channels BBC1 / BBC2 etc
Box with a card from a cancelled subscription - a few more channels (C5 / E4?)
Box with a FreeSat from Sky card - a few more HD channels

Sky clearly don't like to advertise any of this as I can't find any lists of what is and isn't currently available, I guess they would prefer people to have a subscription.

We love our Humax in the van and think it is well worth the initial outlay compared to other options.

(at home we have Virgin V6 which we love)

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 10:58

Box with no card - all free to air channels, including BBC, BBC HD, ITV1 ITV1HD, C4, C4HD, Five HD,...at least 15 HD channels (BBC1HD,BBC2HD,BBCFourHD, BBC NEws HD, CBBC HD, Cbeebies HD, ITV1HD, C4HD, Five HD, S4CHD, Quest HD, Blomberg HD, NHK HD, RT HD, F24 HD, AJazHD, TRT HD, CNN HD,

Box with a card from a cancelled subscription - all FTA (from above), and BBC, ITV C4 regional as per the cards postcode on 101, 102, 103, 104, Local TV, 4Music, Insight HD, Yesterday+1

Box with a FreeSat from Sky card - same as "Box with a card from a cancelled subscription"

But the FSFS webpage does say" Channel 4 HD, BBC HD channels and ITV HD are available without subscription. Channel 4 HD and Channel 5 require a viewing card." The first part is correct, the latter part is not.

"Strange their website quotes 11 "Free to Air" HD channels and I receive these along with the "Free to View" ones."
By definition Free to air channels are free to air and require no card. So with or without the card you will get all the free to air channels...it is wrong to say a card gets the free to air channels.
raynipper likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to satandpcguy For This Useful Post:
mbuk (10-02-2019)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 21:50 Thread Starter

Thanks for that - quite a lot of changes since we were using it. Seems very little reason to get a FreeSat From Sky Card.

I'll update the notes on the video with the info if that's ok with you?

Cheers

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page