Hi and Help with an inherited satellite system - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

7Likes
  • 1 Post By Mrplodd
  • 3 Post By satandpcguy
  • 1 Post By terencepaul
  • 2 Post By satandpcguy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 16:33 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Chausson Sweet Maxi
Hi and Help with an inherited satellite system

Hi, yes I changed my motorhome earlier this year and I have inherited a sat system and I was hoping with all the experienced owners on this forum it could be a lot easier to ask.
There is a Telesat S65 or S85 moveable tracking dish on the roof that sends to a Denson DS 1010ROAD receiver which is connected unfortunately to a 220volt Samsung TV.
I think as I live in Spain that it will not pick up much but hey ho.
So if it's a no go maybe I could use my IPTV box with internet at least.
Can you point me in the right direction please even to try the sat set up and which connection do I choose on the TV either TV,Ext,Hdmi,AV,component whilst I am mains connected from the house. The receiver is next, going backwards and maybe some selection will find useful when I send the dish upright and it starts scanning.
If all fails then I guess I can connect my IPTV box to the Hdmi connection.
cheers

Born to travel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 18:54

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Unless you have a really HUGE dish (1m++) you wonít pick up ANY UK satellite tv that far south so if thatís what you are thinking donít bother!!

Andy
Penquin likes this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, itís in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrplodd For This Useful Post:
terencepaul (08-08-2018)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 07:13

If it is an 80cm dish, then it will pick up some UK TV.
It may not pick up the likes of the BBC and TV channels, the dish is too small and for those you need anything from a 1m to 4m dish depending where in Spain you are.
It will pick up those channels onthe European beam, a lot of the sky pay channels, and a few other free channels, like Pick, Sky News, a lot of Shopping and info channels.

It iwll pick up a load of channels on other satellites, but their "english" channels can be limited to a few news channels.

"which connection do I choose on the TV either TV,Ext,Hdmi,AV,component"
Depends how the receiver is connected to the TV.
IF the receiver is connected via HDMI cable, then choose HDMI input on the TV
IF the receiver is connected via scart cable, then choose Ext input on the TV
IF the receiver is connected via component cable, then choose component input on the TV
Cannot advise any more, as you do not say how your receiver is connected!
Drew, Pudsey_Bear and dghr272 like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to satandpcguy For This Useful Post:
Drew (08-08-2018), terencepaul (08-08-2018)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 10:52 Thread Starter

Hi again,
Checked the tv, which is bolted on a bracket and it says No2 DVI. Looks like a Hdmi socket to me LOL
Shall run a mains cable to the van today and play around a bit.
Thanks so far for a couple of replies.
I was in Valencia last month too.

Born to travel
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 16:19 Thread Starter

Reasonable success today as the socket used on the tv was marked No2 DVI. But checking on Source on screen options on the tv HDMI 2/DVI was available so opted that one. Changed language to English okay on the TV but although I eventually found it on the Receiver menu also it wasn't perfect LOL
Obviously signals were weak and no picture until I managed to get on Hotbird then whoosh 90% signal. Not mastered all the save channels stuff yet but it was a start huh. Checked my IPTV box works okay too and as I need mains electric hook up for the TV then probably wi-fi will usually be there to. Just to keep my wife happy with the odd prog.
Many thanks
raynipper likes this.

Born to travel
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 18-03-2019, 11:42 Thread Starter

Hi, A more recent scan on Eutelsat 9 as it locked on with the dish showed low 22% signal, so no use LOL
So bascically unless I travel up country in Spain or further I can only get Hotbird, which has a 90% signal. As I didn't want to delete the inherited saved channels on the system except I guess Eutelsat ones may have gone now after a scan. Like a reply earlier, basically it's hard to find more than three english speaking news channels and I don't want to scan Hotbird and lose channels saved if and when I travel further afield. I am interested if anyone has found any useful channels on Hotbird other than the three I mentioned?
The Hotbird news channels I have saved in Favourites okay but am I right in thinking after Eutelsat scan provided nothing they have all been altered numerically on the saved channels on the receiver? Like Rai sport etc are not where they were and I shall look for it again and a few others. This I stress is just a hobby but not serious and does pass some time at home in my man cave LOL.
I can use my IPTV with the TV also but you know it needs probably 2Mbs signal that a lot of camp sites fail with. Any reliable boosters, economically priced out there?

Born to travel
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 19-03-2019, 09:04

Eutelsat 9 is at 9 east - and its wide beam is easy to get on an 60cm dish in spain ( but one or two of its other beams need a much larger dish)
Carries Hungarian, Greek, a few italians, but very little UK channels.
Although the irish saorsat, the irish version of freesat, is also on 9e, its beam is limited to just ireland.
Not many free english channels on there.

Astra 1 at 19 east ( easy to get in spain on a 60cm dish) carries a few english news channels.
And RTL (german) for f1, and sport1 for well sport

26 east (needs about an 70-80cm dish in spain) carries a few arabic channels, that have an english soundtrack

Here is a list of UK channels on other satellites apart from 28 east : https://www.flysat.com/tv-uk.php ... all mainly news.

Sort the channel list into alphabetical order, saves having to trawl through a channel list of 100 channel looking for a specific channel.

"I can use my IPTV with the TV also but you know it needs probably 2Mbs signal that a lot of camp sites fail with. Any reliable boosters, economically priced out there?" - if your are only getting 2Mbs speed from the campsite system, there is nothing you can do to "boost it"... you cannot boost something if there is nothing there to boost.
raynipper and terencepaul like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to satandpcguy For This Useful Post:
Penquin (19-03-2019), terencepaul (19-03-2019)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page