Using Sky Go in my Motorhome - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 31-08-2017, 10:37 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Rapido 8094df 4.4t 180hp
Using Sky Go in my Motorhome

Hi All.

I'm a recently returned member having just ordered a new Motorhome. I'm currently considering options to fit to it.

Since my last Motorhome, which I sold about 4 years ago, technology has evolved. I used to take my Sky HD box with me and using a Camos dome it worked fine. We've now upgraded to Sky Q at home and cannot take the Sky Q box because of LNB incompatibility and also our son would be left at home without Sky.

Therefore I'm considering using Sky Go. It should work on 4G and it will work on decent Wi-Fi. For this solution I could install an external 4G/Wi-Fi antenna and internal 4G/Wi-Fi router connected to it.

How about a dual Sat TV/Satellite Broadband dish? Oyster and Crystop manufacture them. Does anyone have experience of using Sky Go with an iPad/Tablet/Laptop and the aforementioned Sat dish solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 31-08-2017, 14:45

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
I don't have TV so I'm no use to you but I just wanted to say welcome back!
MDG424 and MDG424 like this.

Jean
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 31-08-2017, 16:22

Downloading using skygo will require a lot of data. I use it on occasion on my iPhone (unlimited data) and will sometimes hotspot to my iPad. However that eats up my 4gb hotspot limit in a couple of hours of viewing. On what did you intend to actually watch something? I'd be interested to know how you could use a sat dish in the absence of a set top box.

MHO.

www.motorhomeowners.org

WWW . MOTORHOMEOWNERS .ORG

http://www.motorhomeowners.org/

100% FREE and NO ADVERTS

Never yet met a Yank I couldn't take an immediate dislike to.

Burstner Nexxo T660

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:56 Thread Starter

Hi Sprinta.

Satellite Broadband dish.

https://www.roadpro.co.uk/catalogue/...-via-satellite

You'll also need a connection and data contract. Unfortunately these won't suit occasional users as they're minimum 12 monthly contract so you'd be paying for winter months when you're not using it.
The Following User Says Thank You to MDG424 For This Useful Post:
Sprinta (01-09-2017)
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 19:33

My Motorhome: Hobby 750ELC on Ducato X244
We are staying in a campsite at Daon east of Nantes and are hooked into their free wifi via our Iboost. I have Skygo and a VPN (Betternet) which allows me to watch Sky out of the UK and I have just finished watching Nadal in the US Open on Eurosport on my IPad. As someone else has said it is only worth it if you can find free wifi. I have a 2g roaming allowance on my iPhone and could hotspot it to my iPad to watch Sky but my 2g would not last long. Hope this helps.
MDG424 and MDG424 like this.

Last edited by shingi; 04-09-2017 at 19:37.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 13:32 Thread Starter

Many thanks Shingi. That's the way I'm thinking of going. Is your iBoost permanently fitted or do you use a suction cup? Which router do you use?
I use Witopia VPN but its not reliable with Sky and BBC iPlayer. I travel a lot on business, usually China, Taiwan, India and the USA. It's fun using Facebook behind the Great (fire)Wall of China but annoying when you can't get Sky and BBC.
I'll have a look at Betternet.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 15:13

We use the suction cap version of iBoost normally on the roof and pointed towards the wifi source. As to the router I can only assume it comes with the iBoost (suggest you peruse their website as that will tell you everything.) Also,being BT customers we can hook up freely to SFR whilst in France and have on quite a few occasions enjoyed a football match on Sky courtesy of Monsieur's nearby house! The only thing I have never been successful with is watching BT sport as it always seems to know we are not in the U.K. The VPN however fools everyone else 😃
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 15:55

Well that's strange, I have just tried to get into BT sport just out of interest and for the first time it asked me to sign in which I did and I can now watch it. Before it always said 'you are not in the UK' blah blah even though I had the VPN enabled. I'd given up on it so you've done me a favour and now we'll be able to watch Champions League ...... result!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 16:40 Thread Starter

Hi Shingi
Thanks again for the help.

For BT ports outside the UK see here;

https://thevpn.guru/watch-BT-sport-o...lock-dns-proxy

I've emailed BulletVPN to check the locations I travel to.

Regards
Malcolm
The Following User Says Thank You to MDG424 For This Useful Post:
shingi (05-09-2017)
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 18:43

My Motorhome: Autotrail Vline 635 SE
Hi I forked out £49 for a lightening cable to hdmi which I can connect the iPad or iPhone then to the hdmi on the tv, works great for Netflix, Amazon prime or playing you tube or mirroring what's on the iPad ie viewing photos or phone however annoyingly when I play sky go it messages that the service is not supported? Very annoying as if you have sky go why not be able to sent to the tv? Probably just another scam to get you to buy an Apple TV

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page