BBC Blocking VPN Access to iPlayer - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 20-10-2015, 14:11 Thread Starter

BBC Blocking VPN Access to iPlayer

I guess this is likely to annoy a few people on here who have been using free/paid-for VPN services in order to be able to access the BBC iPlayer whilst not in the UK:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10...pn_to_iplayer/

Looks like the Beeb is simply blocking acces via the UK IP Addresses for a list of known VPN service providers.

Morph

There are only 10 different types of people: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 20-10-2015, 14:36

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
I have a Syno!ogy Diskstation at home which includes a VPN . For the reason mentioned in the article it would seem that I'm unaffected since I am running the VPN on a private server. I certainly had no trouble watching iPlayer last night from Madeira.
patp likes this.

Peter
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 20-10-2015, 14:43

My Motorhome: Adria Coral 690SP
That will be a real pain as it was great to download some catch up overnight whenever we had free wi fi.

I do agree that users should be paying the license fee but if their technology is so precise then I should be able to somehow quote my license number and get access.

Any workarounds or maybe VPN that use revolving IP addresses would be really useful.

Peter and Carmel

Spooky travelled with us for 5 years and over 20,000 miles.He died aged 11 and is buried in Delphi in Greece.
Now that's a great age and a great adventure for a rabbit and I think he deserves a mention.

The best things in Life...........................are not Things !!

Life is really, really great …...........sometimes it's a bit sh*t............and then you die !!

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 20-10-2015, 18:28 Thread Starter

If you have a UK address with an Internet connection, then @peribro's approach, or using a router that supports VPNs (Asus do one, or anything that runs DD-WRT) is probably the way to go, as traffic to the BBC will just appear to come from your normal home IP address.

Morph.

There are only 10 different types of people: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 20-10-2015, 19:18

Streamvia VPN and Smartstream service still works ok with Iplayer inside and outside UK
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 20-10-2015, 21:27

If there is such a demand why on earth don't the BBC get on with providing a pay service for all current programmes outside of the UK?

David

Bailey Approach SE 740

www.davidklyne.co.uk
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 20-10-2015, 23:12

My Motorhome: Le Voyageur RX Platinum 2011
VPN working fine here.
And we would voluntarily pay the license fee ...but there is no mechanism to do that.
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 21-10-2015, 07:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by klyne View Post
If there is such a demand why on earth don't the BBC get on with providing a pay service for all current programmes outside of the UK?

David
Well the do offer BBC Worldwide, a pay tv service designed for expats.
And several countries have their own BBC service - BBC America for instance....
And the did offer a "global" bbc Iplayer service, but that was closed earlier this year - maybe due to lack of take up...?
But due to broadcast rights they may not be able to offer ALL programmes to all markets, as other broadcasters in those countries may have those rights
peedee and peedee like this.
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 21-10-2015, 09:01

I had trouble getting the BBC Iplayer through my VPN here in the UK until I contacted their helpdesk, they sent me some manual settings to apply until they sort out their software. As I said its fine here in the UK at the moment but the real test will be when we are in Spain in December.

As I'm a dyslexic and I've had two stokes you are going to see spelling/grammar mistakes, so please don't act superior and point them out!

The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself. Rita Mae Brown.
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 21-10-2015, 09:06

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,017 Times in 882 Posts
Personal Aire
I doubt this will stop anyone with a bit of savvy IT knowledge but to be honest I dont bother with iplayer or even more so ITV player which is dreadful and full of adverts. Virtually all the stuff I would want to watch is available on various streaming sites such as watchseries etc. http://thewatchseries.to/

A lot of these have been blocked by ISP's in the UK but you just use a free VPN like Zenmate to actually pretend your NOT in the UK or of course they all work with ISP's in France and Spain anyway. Currently.

God knows who uploads all this stuff but I am glad they do. I Dont feel like I am doing anything wrong by watching them. I pay a license fee so stuff em.
greygit and greygit like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page