Humax to Humax.? - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 23:03

My Motorhome: 2002 Hymer B584
You could well read up on Humax at avforums on

https://www.avforums.com/

Any info on updating hard drives is there, search for Humax.

Also search for Raydon, a guy whose software I have used to link two Humax Foxsat boxes on my network and I can also view and download files on my pc, even HD files.

I can save my files, HD and SD ones, to usb stick and then play them on my Avtex telly.

PS my boxes are satellite ones.

Regards and best wishes, Barry

Last edited by bazzle; 12-10-2015 at 23:09. Reason: adding info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 13-10-2015, 08:32

My Motorhome: Hymer B644GL
Hi Ray

if you were to try the cloning route first make sure your spare drive is actually spare, anything on it will be destroyed. you don't create a partition and format it at all, just remove the partition that's there so it's unallocated space and then clone to it (a clone is a clone, byte for byte, including whatever file system is on the source drive). what you may have afterwards though is a 320 gb partition on the 1tb drive, the cloning software will likely have an option to expand it to fill the drive, some allow this to be selected prior to cloning, others afterwards.

Hope this helps
Lee
raynipper and raynipper like this.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 13-10-2015, 09:11 Thread Starter

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Oh boy, what a can O worms here.
Thanks Barry, Lee and Zeb. I hope when the time comes and I actually get my hands on the new (used) 500GB unit I won't have to get in too deep and loose my way.
I have never 'cloned' anything yet and although you make it sound simple I'm sure it is fraught with pitfalls. Yes the spare 1TB is not vital as it's just an added backup to an older PC.
It's going to be couple of weeks before I get it back home and start 'playing'. So you might hear my cry for help early Nov.
I find whenever I follow instructions from a magazine, forum or friends about the second 'window' or menu is never as described. Something is always different.!

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 13-10-2015, 14:07

I'm not sure you can copy via HDMI, it's a display only signal.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 13-10-2015, 15:57
Rest In Peace Mike, 1944-2017.

My Motorhome: Autocruise Starburst
Personal Aire
Hi Ray

I have just had time to look at this again and I have connected a small (125gb) usb portable hard drive to my Humax ( HDR Fox T2 ) , the drive is one I sometimes use for transferring files so it was free and empty. On connecting it to the Humax I explored the possibilities and found that By going into settings I could re format the drive so I did that assuming that it would be in a format that the Humax preferred. Then I set it to copy a couple of films ( both over 1.5 hrs long) to the drive. One was in normal quality and one in HD. After this had completed I was able to play both films back via the Humax from the portable drive and if I had wanted I could have copied them back to the Humax.

So maybe the answer is get a cheap portable hard drive, let the Humax format it and then copy just the films and programs you want across to the new Humax as and when using the drive or just copy them to the portable drive and view them through the new Humax.

Extra note:
Now I took the portable drive to my PC where I found that the drive was not "seen" by the PC ...this is because the Humax had formatted the drive in a Linux format ( somewhere I read it uses ext3 ). So to be able to use the drive back on the PC I will have to use the disk management system tool in Win 7 to re format it to NTFS.

P.S. Its done now but getting the portable drive back to NTFS was probably the most confusing bit of the whole process ( had to allocate it a drive letter then format back to NTFS )

Mike
When confronted by a problem, you can solve it easily by reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger have handled this?"
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 13-10-2015, 21:15

My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 600LF 2007
Ray, You may find this thread useful. https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/44-...-avtex-tv.html

It shows how I got t copy programs direct to a 1tb drive. It works fine. The only limitation is the file size. I find that HD programs longer than 1hr or so are too large. It all in the thread.

HD does play on mine but Ive no idea if it has copied as HD.

Regards

Andrew
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 13-10-2015, 21:39
Rest In Peace Mike, 1944-2017.

My Motorhome: Autocruise Starburst
Personal Aire
Hello Andrew

Your suggestion and method is good for someone who wishes to watch the recordings on an alternative TV ...say in the van ...as you and I already do. But Ray was looking for a way to transfer his recorded programs to an alternative Humax and I now think the secret in succeeding in doing that is by allowing the Humax to format the portable USB storage disk drive to it's own inherent format type ( Linux) Then the files of any size can (hopefully) be copied, transferred or watched back via a Humax on any TV.

Mike
When confronted by a problem, you can solve it easily by reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger have handled this?"
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 13-10-2015, 22:53

My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 600LF 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by spykal View Post
Hello Andrew

Your suggestion and method is good for someone who wishes to watch the recordings on an alternative TV ...say in the van ...as you and I already do. But Ray was looking for a way to transfer his recorded programs to an alternative Humax and I now think the secret in succeeding in doing that is by allowing the Humax to format the portable USB storage disk drive to it's own inherent format type ( Linux) Then the files of any size can (hopefully) be copied, transferred or watched back via a Humax on any TV.

I did realise that, and if a better method has been found then that is great. Earlier in the thread it was suggested to copy via a hard disk. The link I put in was to show how this is possible although with problems on file size.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 14-10-2015, 07:37 Thread Starter

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Thanks Mike for going to all that trouble. Now of course you are the revered Humax expert. You obviously know no fear of experimentation....... !!!
Yes the external Hard drive method you describe certainly an option. As I said I await getting my hands on the second unit.

And yes Andrew it does seem Penguin uses the same method. Thanks again.
Lots to try as and when I get back with the unit.

Ray.
spykal and spykal like this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 14-10-2015, 14:17

My Motorhome: 2002 Hymer B584
Hi Ray
The following is an extract from Raydon's post in avforums. To update your foxsat to be able to copy HD files, and indeed all files to be played on other devices, all you need to do is to flash it with the patch (FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade.hdf) contained within the download from the following link:

https://www.avforums.com/index.php?threads/1829374/

Please try this on your existing Humax Foxsat HDR. You only need flash it once to update it and then you can copy any recorded file to and from usb devices, either stick or disk. It's all you need and you will not regret it. Once done, then do it on your newly acquired box.

“ Firmware installation.
----------------------
Note : Please be aware that not all USB sticks are compatible with the HDR when used to flash the firmware.
Experience has proven that the smaller sizes, formatted as single partition FAT32 work best.

Copy the 'FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade.hdf' file to the root directory of a USB stick.

Turn on your TV and set the video source to the HDR.

Put the HDR into standby then insert the USB stick into the front USB port.

Press, and continue to hold down the standby button on the HDR's front panel, NOT the standby button on the remote control.

The front panel display will initially show 'BOOT' followed by an incrementing series of numbers preceded by 'P', at which time the TV will display the upgrade progress bar. You can now safely release the standby button.
Once the upgrade is completed the front panel display will show 'END' and you will be prompted to press the standby button.

Press the standby button.

Note:There should be no need to power cycle the HDR via the rear rocker switch, but some users have reported needing to do this.

After approximately 30 seconds the 'END' message will disappear and the box will power down by itself.

At this point you can press the standby button once more to boot up the HDR normally.

Now, on each startup just after the word 'BOOT' appears in the front panel display, a message stating the custom firmware version will be shown.

This will confirm that you are running the custom firmware.

The foxsat can be networked, you can even use networked hard disk drives and mount them as virtual USB devices. Make sure you have a good read.

The newer models may have all the fancy internet catch up doodads but it can't do what the foxsat HDR can with custom firmware.”

All you need is one file and one small usb stick. If you wish I can email the Foxsat Upgrade file over to you.

Once you have this working, maybe then you can go on to network your boxes to your pcs and watch recordings on both boxes and also on pcs?

Barry

Last edited by bazzle; 14-10-2015 at 14:21. Reason: missed important bit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page