Snipe questions - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 14-08-2015, 15:13 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Snipe questions

Hi All, new member although i have visited the site a few times reading through some threads of interest and thought this might be the best place to ask for some information. I know a few members have a Snipe satellite system, I have just bought one, arrived this morning and I have a couple of questions. Unfortunately I can't try the unit out until my next trip away as the line of site to the satellite from my house is blocked by trees and short of climbing up on the house roof with the Snipe under my arm I wouldn't get a signal.
So first question. I see the cable for connecting the Snipe to my receiver are different from the usual co-axial cable, do I need to use the supplied cable or will my usual ones do?
Second question, do you really need to download updates. I'm only going to be using Astra 2 for Sky, I'm guessing it has never moved position as I've never had to move my Sky dish at the house.

Any other tips or comments from Snipe owners would be very welcome. I don't intend fixing my unit permanently, up through the roof light window will do as it will give me some flexibility to move it about if I'm on a pitch with trees blocking the signal.
Thanks
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 14-08-2015, 16:07

I have a Snipe - it has two cables, one for controls, one for signal. I would have thought that the signal cable is a co-ax, so you can use an existing cable, but the control cable is probably more complex. I have had the system about 18 months, and I haven't installed any updates - still works OK.
I have mounted mine on the roof, it's so easy to watch TV now, no more re-tuning TV every time you move. I'm looking to buy an Avtex TV with the built-in Sat box so I can get rid of the SAT tuner and reduce the number of cables in the TV locker.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 14-08-2015, 16:21

My Motorhome: Autotrail Tracker EKS SE
Personal Aire
We just used the original satellite cables from when the Maxview Dome was installed so we haven't had to use the supplied cables. I don't think you need to update unless you have a problem with getting a satellite fix from the pre-programmed satellites as these are fairly new units.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 14-08-2015, 16:53 Thread Starter

Thanks for your help.
Mine is the twin lnb version so there are the two grey cables to connect to the receiver plus the black one for the controller. The grey cables look a lot thinner than the normal coax but you would think the usual ones would do the job, perhaps the extra thickness is because of better insulation from interference. Wouldn't be a great problem if I needed to use the supplied cables but as I already have coax cables routed I would prefer to use my own. Pleased to hear I don't need to bother about downloads either.

Rob
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 14-08-2015, 17:58

My Motorhome: Rapido 7066DF
Personal Aire
Hi Rob
I'm afraid that you will need to download the updates at some stage or you'll lose the ability to lock onto Astra 2.
I had to update my Oyster earlier this week as there were several frequency changes when they added another satellite (I think it was Astra G) a couple of weeks ago. It happens fairly frequently ATM because there have been several new satellites added. Unfortunately my system was using one of the frequencies they changed so the dish was no longer able to lock onto it.
Larger diameter coax cables have less signal attenuation than the thin ones so are certainly better but it's not critical if you're in a strong signal area or if the cable run is relatively short.

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 14-08-2015, 19:28 Thread Starter

Thanks gaspode, was hoping I wouldn't need to bother with the downloads as sometimes that type of technology and I don't get along too well. Job for the grandson I think!

Rob
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 20:43

The three cables are coaxial cables, they are coloured differently to identify for connections

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page