Sat reception in Spain. Help needed - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 17-06-2014, 14:28

Moved from Roses yesterday and now in Caylus. Back to normal with full BBC and ITV and everything else. Also using Teleco Magisat on 85cm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 17-06-2014, 14:29

Catalonia around Barcelona to the French Border and to just past Tarragona and inland to Montblanc and Lleida is a reception black spot requiring 2.4 meter dishes or larger. Further south, east and west a 1.8 dish will work even in the Balearics, its a sort of black hole for satellite reception.

We had a 1 meter dish at our farmhouse and reception was good on freesat until the footprint changed in FGebruary.

I have IPTV and satellite broadband (we are so remote the phone line only does dial up) but the monthly limit only allows a week of TV (limited hours) and less if we use HD. We do switch on the news once a day and can watch Sky News and other strange channels via the satellite decoder, but we don't miss it.

You may want to think about a satellite broadband system for the van, if you cant do without, there are some with unlimited download (subject to fair use, ie not 24/7 ) packages, but you will need a 4Mbps download capacity (IPTV say 2Mbps, but not in our experience) and you will get pixellation from sun spots, climate, rain, snow and when everyone logs on and the system download speeds drop. We use Tooway Bentley Walker, which is unmetered between midnight and 6 am so you can watch then without limit. I'm looking at sling box connected to my home Skybox which will allow forwarding. I think I can download recorded programmes from home onto a box in Spain and watch the following day. But I am not sure I can be bothered I do have slingbox set up for our apartment in Bulgaria where we have unlimited optical broadband and its good. Just a lag on the commands on the remote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page