Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Avtex 164DRS twin LNB sat

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  OysterSatTechLtd 
#1 ·
Hi All

Does anybody have more than one satellite tuned into their Avtex DRS tv.

As the title suggest we have an Avtex 164DRS tv that is about a year old, we also have the Oyster Vision1 which has been modified/upgraded to have two LNB's, the main LNB is set to seek to Astra1 and the second LNB is slightly offset to look at Astra2 this is supposed to get over the problems associated with tuning these old Vision1 systems with the changes that are happening on Astra2 the selection between the two LNB's is by a AorB switch. I say supposed to and in reality it does work OK but it seems to bring with it another problem associated with the Avtex tv and Satellite tuner, Hope you are still following this.

The problem that I have is that if I tune in all the Astra1 channels and then the Astra2 channels and sort these to the favourites 1 and 2 all can work OK for a day or two and then I will switch on the TV and find that the channel that I was last watching on Astra2 (usually BBC1) is no longer in the Favourites or main menu. I then have to go back and do a full re-tune and the channel will be there again. Avtex have looked at the TV and can find no problem but when it came back to us and I fitted it everything worked OK for quite a while now (longer than before) the one difference I have noticed is that when the TV came back from Avtex nothing was tuned in for the Astra1 channels and I have not tuned these yet as I dont need them in the UK. So back to the question at the top, does anybody else us their Avtex tv this way (I put it at the top as most people wont get this far in my opinion).

Thanks for reading

Martin

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi Tolly

I thought I should get somebody else on board so thanks for reading.

I assume that you are saying that you have the two LNB set up, if you have all the stations from Astra1 tuned in to the TV but don't actually watch any as all the UK broadcasts are on Astra2 then it might be worth doing a reset and getting rid of everything and then just tuning in from Astra2. This is how ours is at the moment and seems to be working OK, we don't watch the programme channels from Astra1 but always tuned these in as I mistakenly believed that they had to be tuned in to allow the system to search for Astra1 satellite.

Martin

#8 ·
Good morning,

I'm assuming you both have the offset LNB upgrade offered by Jacksons Satellites. With this fix you use the search function on the Oyster to lock to Astra 1 and then the offset LNB to receive channels from Astra 2. The Vision I unit requires voltage from the receiver to power the LNB but does not require you to have any Astra 1 channels programmed in. Astra 1 and Astra 2 both use 13/18 volts to choose between the two polarisations so as long as your receiver is turned on the Oyster will be able to lock to the satellite. Once it is locked you simply need to switch feeds into the TV from LNB 1 (Astra 1) to LNB 2 (Astra 2) and then the signal should be there. If it's a first time installation obviously you will have to load the channels in but from then on it should just be a case of simply selecting a channel.
Only problem you may get would be if you're near the edge of the signal beam where, because you are using an offset LNB, you may lose signal due to the fact that you are not actually aligned to Astra 2 but in the UK/France this shouldn't be a problem.
I hope this information helps.

Anthony Read,
Oyster Sat-Tech

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.