Do I buy another Avtex or another brand? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 08:56 Thread Starter

Do I buy another Avtex or another brand?

Hi I am looking for advice regarding which tv to buy.
We have an Avtex but the sound level is quite poor even on full volume so now I am looking to upgrade to a tv with bigger screen I don't know whether to buy another Avtex and hope the sound level is better or go for a different brand.

I have looked online and Cello seem to have a good write up at almost half the cost of Avtex. I would welcome comments on Cello and other brands.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 09:52

Whatever you do not choose a Meos. Impossible to contact either We Do Digital or Meos themselves to rectify problems. After the warranty period they are just not interested and We Do Digital, based in the Channel Islands, appear to be totally unaccountable.
Also, when it was working, we found the Meos to have inferior sound to an Avtex and the viewing angle was limited.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 10:11

Hi

We have just purchased the latest Avtex with Sat receiver and it has the facility to output the TV sound on a radio frequency and then tune this into your van radio, dont know if the older ones have this option.

What model do you have.

Martin

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 10:13

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
You are right about the Avtex volume. It's poor but if you ever have a problem the service is really excellent.

I use this USB speaker for playing music on my lap top. It also connects to our Avtex and improves the sound greatly, Alan.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 10:16

My Motorhome: Swift 780FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanFlair
Hi

We have just purchased the latest Avtex with Sat receiver and it has the facility to output the TV sound on a radio frequency and then tune this into your van radio, dont know if the older ones have this option.

What model do you have.

Martin
Martin

We have that facility on our TV. Could you explain in a very simple way how you actually do it? It would be appreciated.

Dave

All men are cremated equal! Spike Milligan
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 10:22

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
The sound quality is generally poor on all modern flat screen TV's as their very thin design doesn't allow sufficient depth for satisfactory speakers. There are some models that are better than others but the best option is often to connect external speakers if space etc allows.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 10:35

We have a Cello 19". Very good picture, good reception even on a flying saucer aerial and excellent viewing angles BUT:

a) The DVD stopped working about 6 months after we bought it. Now whilst Cello have offered to swap it I am reluctant to even do that because :

b) The digital reception is very good in other countries outside the UK but it is not set up to work in Portugal (they are on a slightly different system). AND:

c) The ability to set languages in the menu so that OSD/Subtitles/Language is in English is useless. It does not work. Many English language films and programmes are actually broadcast in the original language in Spain etc alongside the Spanish dubbed version (which of course is the default language) and a simple press of a button on the remote on many tvs will have you happily listening in a language you can understand.Not so with the Cello.

So if you want it only for UK use then it should be fine. It will record onto a USB stick and the DVD player does accommodate many different formats. They now have one that has a built in Satellite tuner too.

As for sound, well its OK is about the best I can say about it but probably no worse than many others. As has been said get an external speaker.

JohnW
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 10:47

One other important point in its favour over some competitors is that it is an LED backlight tv so consumes less power than the straight LCD tvs. Its around 2 amps/24w (varies according to screen size).

It also comes ready to plug straight into a 12v (cigarette type) socket.

JohnW
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 11:34

John Lewis

If you buy your Avtex from John Lewis, you will get a five year warranty.

I don't buy extended warranties. But if you did buy a Cello and then factor in the limited extended warranty cost. You would probably be paying more.

TM
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 11:54 Thread Starter

Thanks for the information everyone.
Martin, ours is a 3 year old model and does not have the FM transmitter.
Could you tell me about transmitting the sound - will it transmit to a FM portable radio? The reason I am asking is that our cab radio cuts out after 30 mins.
Is the TV easy to set up to receive satellite signal, at present we have a Camos dome connected to a 12v Sky box?

Chris

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page