3 dongle - wher have you used yours? - Page 5 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 130 (permalink) Old 17-06-2008, 16:43
Rest In Peace Mike, 1944-2017.

My Motorhome: Autocruise Starburst
Personal Aire
Hi
Just got back from a trip to Cornwall... took my new 3 Dongle with me.... very pleased with the results.

I bought the ZTE dongle for 49 , no contract , PAYG (black one with green stripe not the white one) and topped it up with 1Gig for 10. I did a fair bit of browsing , emailing and downloading of geocaches but still only used about 1/4 of my data allowance in the 9 days away.

The results:-

St Austell :- good HSDPA (High-Speed Downlink Packet Access ) signal with no problem accessing websites or email. I did a speed test here DL speed appx 380- 500k.

Veryan C&CC club site:- HSDPA signal not as fast as at St Austell and I think I was lucky being at the higher side of the site ( on a hardstanding)

Lizard ( Henry's Campsite) ...no signal at all but then few mobile phones work right down here either...my Orange phone just about managed to work up in the village. ( standing on the table at the pub )

Helston :- good HSDPA signal, good speed

Marazion :- HSDPA signal, good speed

Lanhydrock :- ( near Bodmin) HSDPA signal, good speed

Weston Super Mare ( seafront) HSDPA signal, good speed.

The Picture is where we were sited in St Austell...it could explain why the speed was so good ( I am not sure if that mast carried the 3 cell transmitter but we were on high ground and I am sure that if that is not the mast for 3Mobile it was not far away )

Mike
When confronted by a problem, you can solve it easily by reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger have handled this?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 130 (permalink) Old 17-06-2008, 21:25

My Motorhome: Hymer Starline 510
Personal Aire
I am connected via the 3G dongle I bought at lunchtime! Easy peasy at 49 for the dongle and 10 to top up. AS long as I dont let it lie dormant for more than 3 months then thats it - 10 a time. I have paid 10 for the net in hotels for one day up to now so its great

I'll report from further afeild tomorrow
post #43 of 130 (permalink) Old 17-06-2008, 23:58

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by J99Dub
snipped: AS long as I dont let it lie dormant for more than 3 months then thats it - 10 a time.

Hi

Just a question on what I was told and how I have read the conditions of use of the 3 Mobile PAYG dongle :- If you have the "Pay as you Go" dongle then the 10 buys you 1 gig of data and the "Add On" as they call it lasts 30 days and then expires even if the 1 gig limit has not been used....no mention of three months. I was told that I could buy another 10 worth anytime I like but it will only last 30 days or 1 gig whichever comes first.

Mike

Mike
When confronted by a problem, you can solve it easily by reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger have handled this?"

post #44 of 130 (permalink) Old 19-06-2008, 00:34

My Motorhome: Hymer Starline 510
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by spykal
Quote:
snipped: AS long as I dont let it lie dormant for more than 3 months then thats it - 10 a time.

Hi

Just a question on what I was told and how I have read the conditions of use of the 3 Mobile PAYG dongle :- If you have the "Pay as you Go" dongle then the 10 buys you 1 gig of data and the "Add On" as they call it lasts 30 days and then expires even if the 1 gig limit has not been used....no mention of three months. I was told that I could buy another 10 worth anytime I like but it will only last 30 days or 1 gig whichever comes first.

Mike
Two birds - one stone..

I am now in the Holiday Inn in Rugby/Crick on my 3G dongle dick thing

Pretty fast too

The 1 gig is a monthmax - use it or lose it !

If a month goes by then its wiped and you buy another. Use it up before hand and you can buy another Gig or more - it seems flexible enough

post #45 of 130 (permalink) Old 19-06-2008, 07:41

Personal Aire
Quote:
Two birds - one stone..

I am now in the Holiday Inn in Rugby/Crick on my 3G dongle dick thing

Pretty fast too

The 1 gig is a monthmax - use it or lose it !

If a month goes by then its wiped and you buy another. Use it up before hand and you can buy another Gig or more - it seems flexible enough

Hi

Yes both of us trying to understand the terms and conditions... while enjoying being able to connect wherever we are ( well wherever there is a signal )

Apparently if you do use up the 1gig in a shorter time than a month you can just go out and buy another ten quids worth and a fresh 30 days will start.

In the winter months I may not use the van as much so will not be topping up my allowance ...I am assured that this is OK, I can let the time run out and not use the dongle... and when I buy another 10 top up a fresh 30 days will start.

The only small dissapointment for me is that the dongle only works very slowly at home and not at all downstairs ...but 3 Mobile are rolling out a new service in out area..promised for June 2008 so they better hurry up if they are to keep the promise.

Mike

Mike
post #46 of 130 (permalink) Old 19-06-2008, 07:48

Hi

.promised for June 2008 so they better hurry up if they are to keep the promise. Now Mike I know you will realise already that these promises are backed up by a delayed action mechanism and then just when you have forgotten about them six months after they were supposed to happen you realise that they have. Its referred to as "Mobile Phone Fluid Promiscicity"

stew

posted via a three dongle backed up by two spare parachutes, one supplied by T Mobile and one by vodaphone just incase the main one won't open
post #47 of 130 (permalink) Old 19-06-2008, 23:02

My Motorhome: Esterel 21LB
Send a message via Skype™ to carol
Not sure if I posted this, whilst away in Weymouth, I spent almost an hour in 3 trying to get one sorted, and unlocked....ran out of time, as I had to meet Duncan...

What I did learn, although no one could confirm it, is that 3 are SUPPOSED to be joining up with T-Mobile in this country for better coverage....

Heard it in two different shops....so maybe something in it, but no one can give a date....

I'm still sitting on the fence and waiting for feedback from people in France....

Carol

Carol

Wishing you the Best
Opportunity never goes away!
It just goes to someone else!

Thinking of Peter, Fiona, Chris,UncleNorm and Viv, but still Fighting with Mavis, Ray, and Paul (Otto)

For friends Click for Photos of Aires, Chateau etc. Please leave comments if you wish.

post #48 of 130 (permalink) Old 20-06-2008, 07:49

I am using the 3 dongle here at Charmes in France. It is on GPRS (5 bars) BYTEL (R) the local provider. It is slower than 3G but it has worked for checking the bank etc. I did untick the pictures and automatic IE updates before I went online via internet options though to save downloading too much data.

When I used it at the private Aires in St Tropez there was quite a good connection there. Also so far I haven't been charged for that useage and that was in May as my bill runs from 7th of month then it should have shown in my June 27th bill but so far it is still saying 15 which is the contract price.
post #49 of 130 (permalink) Old 20-06-2008, 09:25

My Motorhome: Esterel 21LB
Send a message via Skype™ to carol
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulurita
I am using the 3 dongle here at Charmes in France. It is on GPRS (5 bars) BYTEL (R) the local provider. It is slower than 3G but it has worked for checking the bank etc. I did untick the pictures and automatic IE updates before I went online via internet options though to save downloading too much data.

When I used it at the private Aires in St Tropez there was quite a good connection there. Also so far I haven't been charged for that useage and that was in May as my bill runs from 7th of month then it should have shown in my June 27th bill but so far it is still saying 15 which is the contract price.
Hello Rita....did you get this unlocked before you left? 3 charge (as I understand it 3 per MB in France and Germany, so I was told by their staff)

Carol

Carol

Wishing you the Best
Opportunity never goes away!
It just goes to someone else!

Thinking of Peter, Fiona, Chris,UncleNorm and Viv, but still Fighting with Mavis, Ray, and Paul (Otto)

For friends Click for Photos of Aires, Chateau etc. Please leave comments if you wish.

post #50 of 130 (permalink) Old 20-06-2008, 10:46

Internet access

Hi all. I am using my Vodaphone dongle here in Kings Lynn and although it is slower than at home it really is OK. So far no matter where I have been I have been able to get online successfully.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page