3 dongle - wher have you used yours? - Page 4 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 130 (permalink) Old 18-05-2008, 15:17

hi i bought a 3 payg dongle as i only need it for the van.
we've just come back from France and Spain, coverage in the UK traveling down was fine, my grandson was playing games all the way down to dover. before we left i bought 7gigs for £25 which is way over the top as it has to be used in 30 days. the roaming charges in France and Spain are £3 per meg i did a bit of surfing checking emails bank etc every few days or when i could get a signal (very patchy)
we were away for 3 weeks and I've just Lent the dongle to my mate who's away for the week to use up the remaining credit and its still going strong.

mark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 130 (permalink) Old 18-05-2008, 15:31

To be honest I am a little disappointed with the Three USB. It works brilliantly in most major towns and cities etc but I personally have found during our travels that in a lot of places the signal is pretty diabolical.

I took the contract out in October last year in readiness for our trip to Italy and was delighted with both the service and the charges whilst touring around Italy and I was able to use my 3GB user allowance all over Italy too. It was great being able to log on whenever we needed to look for a particular campsite or search for local information regarding an area we were visiting and it was reassuring knowing I would not be arriving back home to any extra and exboritant roaming charges other than my monthly contract fee. So for anyone thinking of travelling to Italy ever, I do think it would be very wise to opt for Three's pay as you go USB tariff as whatever user allownce you have, you will be able to use it in Italy too. They did not have the pay as you go option available when I took my contract out but if they had done then I think this would have been the better option to go for as it saves you being tied to Three for 12 months or more and also means you are free to opt for another provider for here in the UK! Also, I could not use Three whilst driving through France and here in the UK like I say, my experience to date has been that it is rather hit and miss in some areas.

I was using a Vodafone 3G datacard prior to changing over to Three last October and personally I very rarely encountered any problems with connection through them and my only disappointment was the horrendous roaming charges you can get lumbered with if you use Vodafone outside of the UK! If Vodafone could offer something like Three do in Italy then Vodafone would be my number 1 choice always!

I have a T Mobile pay as you go web n walk sim card that I insert into my old vodafone datacard (unlocked) and to be honest I have found T Mobile to have much better UK coverage than Three by a long shot!

Hope this helps.

Sue
post #33 of 130 (permalink) Old 18-05-2008, 22:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonesta
To be honest I am a little disappointed with the Three USB. It works brilliantly in most major towns and cities etc but I personally have found during our travels that in a lot of places the signal is pretty diabolical.

I took the contract out in October last year in readiness for our trip to Italy and was delighted with both the service and the charges whilst touring around Italy and I was able to use my 3GB user allowance all over Italy too. It was great being able to log on whenever we needed to look for a particular campsite or search for local information regarding an area we were visiting and it was reassuring knowing I would not be arriving back home to any extra and exboritant roaming charges other than my monthly contract fee. So for anyone thinking of travelling to Italy ever, I do think it would be very wise to opt for Three's pay as you go USB tariff as whatever user allownce you have, you will be able to use it in Italy too. They did not have the pay as you go option available when I took my contract out but if they had done then I think this would have been the better option to go for as it saves you being tied to Three for 12 months or more and also means you are free to opt for another provider for here in the UK! Also, I could not use Three whilst driving through France and here in the UK like I say, my experience to date has been that it is rather hit and miss in some areas.

I was using a Vodafone 3G datacard prior to changing over to Three last October and personally I very rarely encountered any problems with connection through them and my only disappointment was the horrendous roaming charges you can get lumbered with if you use Vodafone outside of the UK! If Vodafone could offer something like Three do in Italy then Vodafone would be my number 1 choice always!

I have a T Mobile pay as you go web n walk sim card that I insert into my old vodafone datacard (unlocked) and to be honest I have found T Mobile to have much better UK coverage than Three by a long shot!

Hope this helps.

Sue
Hello Sue

Have been able to use your web & walk in Germany or any where else across the channel without incurring the roamng charge.

Thanks

Motorhomer

post #34 of 130 (permalink) Old 18-05-2008, 22:48

Have used it in Taunton - was quite good, Longleat CC Site - again reasonable speed, Brecon - quite slow but working, Saundersfoot - very intermittent.

Just realised I mis read the post, ours is a Vodaphone Dongle not a 3 Dongle...oops only just realised, about 2 weeks too late lol.
post #35 of 130 (permalink) Old 19-05-2008, 01:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhomer2
Hello Sue

Have been able to use your web & walk in Germany or any where else across the channel without incurring the roamng charge.

Thanks

Motorhomer
Hi Motorhomer,

As yet I have not been able to test the T mobile outside the UK so unfortunately I cannot answer your question.

Sue
post #36 of 130 (permalink) Old 19-05-2008, 17:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonesta
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhomer2
Hello Sue

Thanks

Motorhomer
Hi Motorhomer,

As yet I have not been able to test the T mobile outside the UK so unfortunately I cannot answer your question.

Thankyou for your reply Sue. If we do decide to go that way I will try mine.

Motorhmer

Sue
post #37 of 130 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 20:26 Thread Starter

Used the 3 dongle on the train between Crewe and Lancaster this morning. Good enough reception to download emails. Didn't have any problem with bridges - no tunels on that stretch - expect it would be asking too much to stay connected underground!
Peter
post #38 of 130 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 20:48

3 Dongle

As has been said by others I have had no problems around major towns but out and about in the country not getting a connection at all. Decided to bite the bullet and bought an Orange usb plug-in since then have never failed to connect to the internet. Its speed is very good on the whole so far happier with it than the 3 dongle.

Taff
post #39 of 130 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 09:20

My Motorhome: Hobby Siesta HGE
3 Dongle- excellent signal at Chichester C&CC Site

Im Hotel bin ich Gast; im Wohnmobil darheim
Chez soi-C´est ou on se stationne!!
post #40 of 130 (permalink) Old 17-06-2008, 15:46

3 Dongle

Works fine in Whitehaven in Cumbria, poor from Egremont then nothing at Gosforth and probably no coverage anywhere round Eskdale area.

Excellant at Rowntree Park cc site in York.

The 3 offer for existing customers is very good £7.50, well worth it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page