Mobile phone via wifi? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 15-12-2020, 17:47 Thread Starter

Mobile phone via wifi?

I have just had a call from BT, who provide our phone and internet. We also have our basic mobile phones with them.

I engaged her in conversation about the lack of mobile signal in our house. She recommended that we take advantage of the fibre to the premises that we could have for no extra charge. She is sending an engineer to sort it along with a new modem. All of this is free and the new "package" ,if we give up our unlimited land line call package and just have 500 minutes per month instead, will be cheaper than we are paying now!

Is she right that we could piggy back a mobile on our wifi and be able to use one in the house? It doesn't make any difference to the deal as we do not have to pay anything and will get 150 megga thingys of internet speed for less than we are paying now! She seemed to think that upgrading our phones would help. As luck would have it a friend has given us an Apple iphone 6 that she no longer uses. Am I getting excited over nothing? Will the i phone work in the house once the fibre is installed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 15-12-2020, 17:57

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
You need a smart phone, as you say, and your phone service provider, Vodafone or whoever have to support Wifi calling. It's a good solution. If your service provider doesn't support wifi calling you could port your number to one who does. It works seamlessly, you shouldn't notice any difference between wifi and ordinary, good quality, mobile calls in a high signal area. You may find the range a bit limited unless your router is very carefully positioned or powerful.
patp likes this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 15-12-2020, 18:18

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,168 Times in 1,014 Posts
Personal Aire
As your phone, broadband and mobile is all with BT and you are getting an iphone you should be able to have wifi calling no problem as BT support it. The iPhone 6 supports wifi calling also. You might need to call them up to talk you through it or turn it on.
patp likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 15-12-2020, 18:39

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
Many phones less than 3 years can do it. The iPhone6 will but you will need to toggle it on (once only). As Alan says very useful. Not only does it automatically do it when you are home but if the signal is bad it will do it on any WiFi you connect to. BUT I would double check everything BT tells you and get a 2nd quote. We halved our deal AND went from broad band to full fibre super fast when I decided to shop around. The provider of the wifi makes no difference its the provider of the telephone sim that needs the capability
erneboy and patp like this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 15-12-2020, 18:46

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Oh I can only dream of fibre to the premises................................ lucky Pat.

Ray.
patp and Penquin like this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 15-12-2020, 19:05 Thread Starter

Thank you so much guys! All in a language that I can understand too! Won't happen until BT man comes to the house in middle of January. Now I know why my daughter can use her mobile in our house

Ray - we just live in a Norfolk village and at the end of it really. It came to the village when the developers moved in so there is a downside to it Apparently it is the first thing that house buyers ask now.
raynipper likes this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 15-12-2020, 22:17

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Is Wi-Fi calling just using the likes of WhatsApp or Viber to make calls? In which case the other party would have to have the same app.
patp and Pudsey_Bear like this.

Jean
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 15-12-2020, 22:36

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
I have Aldi talk sim, but it is very rarely used when I’m at home because WhatsApp and all the other apps use my wifi, funny thing though the sim is still working in the background because on occasions I have a text to say welcome to Poland and how much it will cost for phone calls and texts.
patp likes this.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 15-12-2020, 22:38

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwawa View Post
Is Wi-Fi calling just using the likes of WhatsApp or Viber to make calls? In which case the other party would have to have the same app.
No jean it exactly the same as making a normal phone call with your mobile, but instead of making the connection through a mobile mast you make it through your WiFi router. You won't notice the difference other than reception. Minutes are deducted from your call plan in exactly the same way too.
erneboy and patp like this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 16-12-2020, 06:44

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Just found out my Android doesn't have it. But then it is a cheap Chinese phone.

Ray.
patp likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page