User Tag List

37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 08:43 Thread Starter

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
TV via the net.

We have had 'smart' TVs since 2007 and the latest one bought 2013.
Several times I have tried to connect them to the net to 'enjoy' what others keep telling me about and several times I have failed and just given up and made a cup of tea. Once again I tried today and went round in ever decreasing circles until I could not get out of a menu and had to turn the TV off and restart again to get back to the very easy one button 200 channels again.

But as usual what everyone says is easy and "All you have to do is" never quite works for me. I can actually get it to connect to a wireless repeater and have actually accessed a website using the remote to input my AOL page but no further. I have a 'Youtube' icon that never gets to anything recognisable and just goes round and round. There are a few other icons or probably apps installed showing on the setup screen but only weather which does nothing and France24 news which again only shows a still page.

As getting nowhere usually takes me 30 to 40 minutes and results in tutting from hid to get back to the one button control you can see why I give up easily. It was Barry indicating a good film that I didn't want to spend 90 mins viewing on the monitor that tickled my interest again today.

Any 'simple' ideas where I'm going wrong? The TV is a Sharp Aquos 70".

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life“s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 08:55

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,168 Times in 1,014 Posts
Personal Aire
When you accessed your AOL page did it actually bring anything up? Did you see your emails etc?

Sounds to me like its maybe a poor signal. How far is it from the wifi access point? Can you connect directly to the router rather than going through an extender? Is the password you put in the same for the extender as it is the router? Can you connect to the extender or the router with an ethernet cable rather than using wifi?

Some other ideas here

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...4dUDCA0&uact=5
patp and raynipper like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 09:04

I had the same problem Ray, on WiFi it was a nightmare. In the end I bought a Devolo WiFi adaptor, not cheap but it cured the problem.

I ❤️ my Wife and also my MacBook Air

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 09:05

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Look in YouTube for how to do it with you make and model Ray.

I know you think a 2013 TV is practically new, but it will be well out of date and probably lacks functions and the latest connectivity tweaks and apps for watching telly. You may be able to add apps if you need to but manufacturers seem to want to dictate what you can and can't have.

Getting any TV connected can be tedious and frustrating. Stick with it or get a child to do it is my advice.
patp, barryd, raynipper and 1 others like this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 09:06

My Motorhome: Carthago
Another possibility for your problem Ray is that you will only get access to anything allowed in the country / region you are in unless you find a way of utilising a VPN.

patp and JanHank like this.

John
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 09:08 Thread Starter

I knew I could count on you Baz.
No the AOL page showed very little other than the search bar and no text but it was the only website address I could remember at the time.
TV is in lounge other side of 2' solid concrete wall. The extender is showing a 5bar signal and is placed bang under the TV or 6" from the TV dongle.
To use an ethernet cable would be very inconvenient across 4m office through doorway and another 4m to TV in lounge.
No password as I keep everything open.

You can just see through the office door printer, desk, monitor on right and TV on left.

Ray.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TV setup.JPG (885.8 KB, 18 views)
patp likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life“s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 09:13 Thread Starter

I will read your link later thank Baz.
Might come to that Drew thanks.
Alan I will try and explain that to hid and opt for a new 85" TV.?
Not yet John, I do have a good VPN to fall back on if required.

I think more research at leisure into the problem online is another option but time consuming.

Ray.
erneboy and patp like this.

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 09:21

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
You could look on YouTube first Ray.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 09:27 Thread Starter

Yes you are right Alan and will get round to it soon. But now TV is back in the boss's hands I will take my time researching and mulling over my options.
I have just ordered a Roku stick and will play with that on another 'smart' TV in my office. I was planning on taking it to Portugal if we are allowed to go.

It's been going on now for a few years as it's not an urgent 'need' so will report on results in time.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Ray.
erneboy and patp like this.

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 10:03

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,168 Times in 1,014 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
I knew I could count on you Baz.
No the AOL page showed very little other than the search bar and no text but it was the only website address I could remember at the time.
TV is in lounge other side of 2' solid concrete wall. The extender is showing a 5bar signal and is placed bang under the TV or 6" from the TV dongle.
To use an ethernet cable would be very inconvenient across 4m office through doorway and another 4m to TV in lounge.
No password as I keep everything open.

You can just see through the office door printer, desk, monitor on right and TV on left.

Ray.
So the extender is right under the TV and has five bars. Can you connect a laptop, phone etc to that extender in the same room and does it work on the internet? Is the router in that office we can see to the right? Are you able to see the actual router in available networks on the TV wifi setup and if so have you tried connecting to it rather than the extender. I know you are a fan of these extenders but I know from experience they can be a nightmare. It could be some protocol issue the TV has with the extender or maybe the extender just isnt working. A good test would be if you could connect the TV directly to the routers wifi. Another option is to use ethernet extenders rather than wifi but first you would have to prove that the TV connects ok to the router with a cable.

There were a few videos in that link i gave you.

Mind you if that Roku stick works, problem solved really.
patp likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page